Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 15-08-2011, 12:51 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Cool Made a panorama of the view from Endeavour's rim

Hi All, as you may know the Mars rover Opportunity has finally reached the rim of the massive Endeavour crater.
I couldn't wait for an official press release with a good panorama so I stitched together this quick view from the raw images on the MER website.
Seems we're not at the flat Meridiani Planum anymore

I think there will be some spectacular vistas coming from around the rim in the near future.
I just gives a whole different dimension when you can gaze far out over the Martian landscape like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Opportunity-at-Endeavours-rim.jpg)
174.9 KB110 views
Old 15-08-2011, 01:16 PM
scagman (John)

Nice stich job.
It sure does show a different dimension doesnt it.
Old 15-08-2011, 01:42 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

thats great! It almost looks like you are on the edge of a bay looking across at the hills on the other side of the water.
Old 15-08-2011, 02:03 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Wow ... !!!!
Old 15-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Good job. Disappointingly Earth-like, isn't it! LOL...
Old 15-08-2011, 07:00 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Love those Panorama's, gives you a feel for the landscape. Nice one Rolf.
Old 15-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Nice work Rolf, quite an amazing landscape.
Old 17-08-2011, 10:53 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyViking View Post
H
I couldn't wait for an official press release with a good panorama so I stitched together this quick view from the raw images on the MER website.
Neat Rolf. Where did you find the left and rightmost frames? I only found six frames to render the middle, and it loses something in the PNG to JPG conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (endeavour.jpg)
193.3 KB21 views
Old 18-08-2011, 08:23 AM
lry (louis)

in the top right area of the first frame there's a boulder that looks like a massive head. excellent picture!
Old 18-08-2011, 10:12 AM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully we get to see an official colour panorama from the area soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Neat Rolf. Where did you find the left and rightmost frames? I only found six frames to render the middle, and it loses something in the PNG to JPG conversion.
Andrew, I used the frames from the panoramic cam (sol 2681): http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...ity_p2681.html
Old 18-08-2011, 01:48 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

I was just reading that the endeavour crater is about 14km wide...I was thinking that the small crater in the foreground was it - but the opposite rim of the crater must be the hills in the far distance? Is that right?
Old 18-08-2011, 07:20 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman View Post
I was just reading that the endeavour crater is about 14km wide...I was thinking that the small crater in the foreground was it - but the opposite rim of the crater must be the hills in the far distance? Is that right?
Yes that's right Endeavour crater is huge, actually 22km (13.7 miles). This is a completely different terrain than the flat Meridiani which we've been staring at for 7 years now
Still, those plains blew me away back when Opportunity landed. I recall putting together a colour image from the raw frames before the first official colour photos were released - I was just stunned, it really had a truly 'alien' look. This area was always very different from the other landing sites I think.

I'm also looking forward to the massive Curiousity rover now, that'll be spectacular. Hopefully the 'sky crane' works!
Old 18-08-2011, 10:18 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyViking View Post
Andrew, I used the frames from the panoramic cam (sol 2681): http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...ity_p2681.html
Hmmm. I had those and think I know what went wrong. I had tried to remove the missing parts of the images by converting to png, adding an alpha channel, and deleting those black areas, hoping the blending would use the alpha to ignore those areas.

AutoPano decided it didn't like some frames, so it dropped them and rendered some of the remainder as one pano and others as another. I remapped the jpgs at higher accuracy, they all went into one pano, and then I deleted the bad frames.

I've never had to do it that way before.
Old 19-08-2011, 10:56 AM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Hmmm. I had those and think I know what went wrong. I had tried to remove the missing parts of the images by converting to png, adding an alpha channel, and deleting those black areas, hoping the blending would use the alpha to ignore those areas.

AutoPano decided it didn't like some frames, so it dropped them and rendered some of the remainder as one pano and others as another. I remapped the jpgs at higher accuracy, they all went into one pano, and then I deleted the bad frames.

I've never had to do it that way before.
Is that in Photoshop? I didn't use the frames that had missing parts if that's what you refer to.
I pasted each frame into a separate layer, moved them around to fit and then manually blended the edges with a soft eraser tool. Then flattened the image and rotated until horizon was level.
I don't think they overlap enough for Photoshop to figure out an auto panorama, but I didn't try - it was just quick and dirty