Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 04-03-2019, 11:55 AM
stefang (Stefan)

27th Annual South Pacific Star Party (SPSP) 2-5 May

http://www.asnsw.com/sites/default/f...y/spsp15ms.jpg
Each year, since 1993, the Astronomical Society of New South Wales has hosted the now famous South Pacific Star Party (SPSP), at its 107 acre (43 hectare) country property Wiruna near Ilford, NSW, between Lithgow and Mudgee, about 3 hours north-west of Sydney, through the Blue Mountains and into the NSW Central Tablelands.

The South Pacific Star Party provides amateurs with the chance to meet other amateur and professional astronomers, and observe under dark skies with superb seeing conditions, through all types and sizes of telescopes.

"Among the eucalyptus woodlands in New South Wales, Australia, there is 100 acres of land [Wiruna] designated for stargazing. Owned by a local astronomy society [the ASNSW], the land has both observation facilities and basic accommodations, though most prefer to camp. Each year, the society hosts a "South Pacific Star Party" during which 200 to 400 people convene for a weekend of star watching beneath one of the world's darkest skies." --Forbes.com, 18 June 2008.

Registration Information

Participants MUST Register in Advance.

If you take your chances and "just turn up", you will be turned away, as the event is normally over-subscribed.

If you are not sure if you may have to work, please register anyway.

If you are not sure if the weather is going to be good, please register anyway.

If it turns out that you have to work, and you cancel before the registration deadline, you can get a full refund by contacting the Treasurer.

If you are fussy about the weather, no refunds, as the event offers fantastic value, no matter what the weather conditions are like, and you should come anyway.

If you find out that you can't make it after registering, please contact the Treasurer to cancel so that our participant list can be updated.

Yes, you do need to register by the due date. It is easiest and preferable if you register online but, if this is not possible, you can phone or email the Treasurer who can handle your registration manually.

Numbers Limits and Waiting Lists:

Participant numbers will be limited to the working capacity of the site.
Roast Dinner numbers are limited to the capacity of the ovens.
If you attempt to register, but see a message that the event is full, you will have missed out this year. Contact the treasurer if you want your details to be added to the database so that you will be notified when registrations open for next year's event.

If the Roast Dinners have all been sold by the time you register, note that alternative meals are available in the Pavilion from the 1st Kandos Scouts.
In 2019, there will be no waiting list. A small increase in the number of registrations has been allowed to compensate for the typical number of cancellations and no-shows.

Entitlements, Orders and Discounts:

Registration entitles you to take part in the voting for the Astroimaging Competition and to enter your name in the Lucky Prize Draw.

Registrations will open in late February, when the online registration page is ready, and close by mid April in time to get the T-shirts ordered and printed.

SPSP T-shirts may be ordered in advance with registration but, if registering in the last few weeks before the star party, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to fill your order. If your pre-ordered T-shirt(s) cannot be supplied, you will receive a refund at the star party.

The registration fee covers everything from one overnight stay to the full weekend. There are NO DISCOUNTS for short visits.

The MEMBER DISCOUNT: You do not need to be a member to attend the star party but you will pay a little more if you are not a member. A discount of $25 applies for a member registration. If you are a member and you are logged in when you register, the $25 discount will apply to your Individual or Family registration. Your family members do not need to be ASNSW members. For member couples, it is cheaper to register as a Family ($115 less $25 discount = $90 total) than separately.

Family registration: A "family" consists of up to three related adults and any number of related children. Extra adults and friends of the family should register separately.

Kids' Ages: We ask you to enter the ages of your children for two reasons - one is for the kids' workshop activity and the other is to make sure that they go into the Kids' Lucky Prize Draw. Yes, the kids have their own draw, with pretty good odds of winning (usually) a 6" Dobsonian telescope!

Accommodation:

You will be offered a drop-down menu to select if you are going to use a tent, caravan, campervan, etc. We use these numbers to manage the camping and caravan areas.

If you are a Wiruna regular and have a permanent site, please select the last option "I already pay the annual site fee".

Confirmation of your Registration: If you pay online when you register and your payment is processed correctly, you will receive a confirmation email (receipt) from the ASNSW system as well as an email from PayPal. If you do not receive these emails within a few minutes of registering, it means that you did not complete the registration process and no payment was made.

See important notes about completing the process for "Family Registrations" on the Registration Page. If you choose to "Pay Later", you will receive a confirmation emailed invoice from the ASNSW system - this email will provide details that you will need to make a payment.

Please ensure that your payment is received at least two weeks before the commencement of the Star Party.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Allan

Good work Stefan. I look forward to another catch up with you and all my SPSP friends again this year.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:29 AM
stefang (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Good work Stefan. I look forward to another catch up with you and all my SPSP friends again this year.
look forward to it. I have some new toys for you to play with as well.
stefan
Old 13-03-2019, 08:57 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Hi everyone,

Please note, there are only 300 spaces total for the SPSP2019. So far we have sold 200 spaces in 2 weeks. If you are thinking of coming, book now to avoid disappointment.

Please note, while we take every possible precaution, we cannot guarantee the weather.
Old 19-03-2019, 07:37 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Hi everyone,

The SPSP registrations have now closed as we have a full house.
Old 19-03-2019, 10:27 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Hi everyone,

The SPSP registrations have now closed as we have a full house.
They've finally named one after you mate!
Old 02-04-2019, 08:12 AM
hamptonskies (Greg Burrows)

I am going to SPSP for the first time and was thinking on taking a couple of my SCT's to sell. Is selling gear frowned upon?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:38 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

will the Kandos Scouts be there again with all their culinary offerings? What about the nighttime coffee van?

Mike
Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM
stefang (Stefan)

Scouts

Mike,
dont forget your TSP shirt.

Perhaps we can convince the Kandos Scouts to make Brisket Breakfast buns.
sG
Old 02-04-2019, 03:14 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefang View Post
Mike,
dont forget your TSP shirt.

Perhaps we can convince the Kandos Scouts to make Brisket Breakfast buns.
sG
Oh, don't worry, I won't lots of reminiscing to do
Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Star Catcher (Ted Dobosz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamptonskies View Post
I am going to SPSP for the first time and was thinking on taking a couple of my SCT's to sell. Is selling gear frowned upon?
No problem; Sunday morning people sell gear in the main shed.

Ted
Old 07-04-2019, 09:10 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamptonskies View Post
That is perfectly fine. We run an Astro Market on Saturday and Sunday morning
Old 08-04-2019, 06:14 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Cloud Free Night Service

Just a reminder that the cloud free night service is free for all registered users (Supporter access) from now on. Additional details here.

Last edited by cfn; 08-04-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:16 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb SPSP forecast

The external page for wiruna is available at http://www.liveweather.com.au/wiruna/. It features ACCESS-C total cloud cover for the area as well as dark sky, meteograms, satellite and radar.

Otherwise if you already have a registered email at cloud free night click here and enter your email to get your login link and automatically have full access if your location details are filled in.
Old 28-04-2019, 12:48 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Cloud Free Night Presentation & Workshop

Looking forward to giving an All About Cloud Free Night (www.cloudfreenight.com) presentation and workshop next Friday (3 May) afternoon during the South Pacific Star Party at Wiruna, New South Wales.
Old 28-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Allan

We’ve got 300 people eagerly getting ready for another exciting SPSP. For me it’s a $1000+ investment to attend the star party with the big dob. Yet again, looking at the weather forecast, if I’ve said it once I’ve said it a hundred times, why are we holding the SPSP in May?

Though my SPSP star party sample only covers six years, it’s still a fair example. In those 18 nights at SPSP I’ve had 8 clear skies. I just ran a star party in April at my property and had six out of six clear nights. Last April I had six out of seven clear nights. May is traditionally the transition month in this region from the autumn to winter weather pattern. I’m sure someone responsible for programming the star party has worked that out by now. A move to April would be a huge boost to the event.
Old 28-04-2019, 07:26 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
We’ve got 300 people eagerly getting ready for another exciting SPSP. For me it’s a $1000+ investment to attend the star party with the big dob. Yet again, looking at the weather forecast, if I’ve said it once I’ve said it a hundred times, why are we holding the SPSP in May?

Though my SPSP star party sample only covers six years, it’s still a fair example. In those 18 nights at SPSP I’ve had 8 clear skies. I just ran a star party in April at my property and had six out of six clear nights. Last April I had six out of seven clear nights. May is traditionally the transition month in this region from the autumn to winter weather pattern. I’m sure someone responsible for programming the star party has worked that out by now. A move to April would be a huge boost to the event.
There's a vacancy for the ASNSW president. With your track record you should apply and make the weather great again.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Shark6
Vixen Optics, Japan

Any pictures from the SPSP?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:19 PM
Allan

I didn't manage any photos from SPSP this year. I arrived Friday afternoon in time for the rain to stop and I set up camp in the cloud that had settled over the site. Friday night was movie time and drinks in the hall and then a very dark walk back to the tent through the cloud which was fun.

I set up the 32" on Saturday and spent the evening touring around the showpiece objects, and around half the star party came past and had a look at some nice views. Copeland's Septet was the only faintish object I bothered with, and about 10 people got to see the tight group of magnitude 15-16 galaxies. Eta Carina and the Homunculus were crowd favourites along with M83, M104 and the Ghost of Jupiter, and Jupiter and Saturn at the end of the night.

The star party was well attended on the Saturday which was the only clear night, with close to 300 people there. Cloud rolled in around midnight, and by 1am the observing field was deserted.

I had a great time as I always do at SPSP. I appreciate very much all the work everyone does to run the star party. I've run my own star parties and can attest to how much work is involved. I've been to a lot of the big US star parties, so get to see how different events are run.

One thing they do really well in the US is police the quiet period before 10am. These events are star parties and not camping trips. Its the same thing every year at SPSP, as it was again this time. People yelling out at 6am and making as much noise as possible without any consideration for observers who only got to bed a few hours earlier.

The other thing that needs fixing is the date. I talked to a few people about this again. It is a huge effort for me to bring the 32" to the star party, but I enjoy it for the benefit it provides for so many people there. It's also a big effort for all the participants, many who look forward all year long to coming to SPSP. But to only have 6 hours observing for all that effort is hard to justify. I'm now at 9 nights out of the last 21 possible. It has to be moved to April when the weather is so much better. The availability of objects in the sky is so much better in April as well, except waiting an extra 2 hours for the Milky Way to rise. A small price to pay.

SPSP is my favourite Australian star party and I am passionate about making it the best it can be.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:54 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:

I set up the 32" on Saturday and spent the evening touring around the showpiece objects, and around half the star party came past and had a look at some nice views. Copeland's Septet was the only faintish object I bothered with, and about 10 people got to see the tight group of magnitude 15-16 galaxies. Eta Carina and the Homunculus were crowd favourites along with M83, M104 and the Ghost of Jupiter, and Jupiter and Saturn at the end of the night.
Thanks for the amazing views Allen, best viewing session I've had at Wiruna in many years ...bloody awesome scope, thanks for bringing it along

Mike