Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-04-2014, 07:01 PM
PRejto (Peter)

USB Hub Issues

My Win7 64 bit Laptop is suddenly having an issue recognising any hub I plug in. In device manager I will get a message that driver software failed and there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the USB Hub. I tried 3 different hub models and all do the same thing. The hub issue isn't my long active cables; the same thing happens with a short cable right at the computer.

Now, if I "update" driver and go to the list of devices on computer and select "generic USB hub" I can sometimes get the hub to install. There is now a long list of USB Hubs in the device manager. Should I delete all of them and start over? Any idea why I would suddenly get this behavior?

A somewhat related question:

If a powered hub is connected to a computer should voltage be measured on the power in plug with plug not plugged into power source (computer on and supplying voltage to USB cable)?

Software Bisque says "no." But, I measure 4.5 volts (long extender cables?) on the power in jack of 3 different powered hubs. I don't need much power, just a bit of a boost, for my ST-i so I've been trying to power the hub from the 5 volt (1 amp max) output of the MEII. When I turn off mains power to the mount warning alarms go off in the MKS board! I've traced this back to voltage going into the mount in reverse through the 5 volt power out on the mount. I can stop the alarm with a diode in the positive lead, but the diode reduces voltage to 4.5 and the ST-i protests with a bad shutter. So, is Software Bisque correct or is this possibly a bit of an issue with the MEII and MX electronics?

Many thanks,
Peter
Old 23-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

can't answer all your questions...
I've been powering my 6 port USB hub at 6v ( from a 12v convertor) for the past five years or so....
It adequately handles all my working cameras:
ATik 16ic
ATik 16icS
ATik 314L
SX Lodestar
plus the EQDir connector.
No issues, no drama.
Old 23-04-2014, 07:33 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
can't answer all your questions...
I've been powering my 6 port USB hub at 6v ( from a 12v convertor) for the past five years or so....
It adequately handles all my working cameras:
ATik 16ic
ATik 16icS
ATik 314L
SX Lodestar
plus the EQDir connector.
No issues, no drama.
Can you show/link us to where you bought the hub and converter?
Old 23-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

These were originally purchased in the UK from Maplins.....
I'm sure you'll be able to find the same from Jacar or Radio Shack....
Old 23-04-2014, 11:18 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
These were originally purchased in the UK from Maplins.....
I'm sure you'll be able to find the same from Jacar or Radio Shack....
What's the brand and model of yours so I can see as a reference?
Old 24-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

The hub I'm using is Gaffa taped to the mount- difficult to see the model #, but it looks like one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-Port-US...-/320785264621

The DC-DC convertor is marked:
Auto DC Power regulated adaptor #A92JH
Input: 12V 3.2A
Output: 1.5/3/4.5/5/6/9/12V - 3A max

Looks similar to this but with 3.2A capacity....
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-2A-...item5400dd3327

Hope this helps.
Old 24-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Marios (Marios)

Best bet is to try another computer all together, will help to isolate wether a fault with the HUB or driver issue. Id also suggest its a good time to update the hub take advantage of USB3.
Old 24-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

IMHO, if the cameras you're using are USB2 then there's no benefit in moving to USB3 - in fact it may give problems with older equipment and drivers...
Old 24-04-2014, 10:58 PM
PRejto (Peter)

My computer is doing some strange things in the past couple of days. First there was the hub recognition issue and then today it stopped seeing a CF card that it previously had no trouble seeing. In both the hub and CF card situations I was able to get the device manager to recognise these only if I rebooted with the devices plugged in. After that all seems OK and the recognition issues have gone away. It would be nice to know whay this started in the first place!

I also have replaced the original hub on the scope with a small 1 amp Targus unit. It's doing the job fine and the mount doesn't complain any more when the mount is turned off. Interestingly both the old and new hub show voltage coming out of the power in lead when the hub is connected to the computer, but only the old hub would trigger the alarms in the MEII.

Peter
Old 25-04-2014, 12:19 AM
frolinmod

It is possible to purchase externally powered USB hubs that will not feed back any voltage at all through their USB input. I think it was on this very website somewhere where I saw a thread about a USB hub where you can pull a jumper on its PCB to prevent exactly this from happening. It was one of those small 12V powered rugged industrial USB hubs.
Old 16-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Ajemsa (Andrew)

I’ve been trying to connect my Eq8 to EQMOD but I’m having issues with the serial to USB converters going through a hub. If I use a direct link all is good but as soon as I plug in the hub in between I can’t get a connection.
What I have:
-The computer is running USB2.0 ports
-Shoestring USB2EQ5 cable (works with direct link)
-Serial link cable together with serial to USB converter (works with direct link)
-USB3.0 powered hub from Dick Smith
http://www.dicksmith.com.au/computer-accessories/dick-smith-4-port-usb-3-0-hub-with-power-adaptor-dsau-xh1227?CAWELAID=120146970000013232& gclid=CKWo0ozDyL8CFZcTvQodxxcA_A
All other connections (flashdrives, etc) seem to be recognised on the hub but not these converters.
I’m hoping that someone may have more knowledge on this than myself (this would be hard!) or if you could recommend a different hub. Thank you.
Old 16-07-2014, 12:17 PM
thunderchildobs

I had same sought of problems.
This worked for me
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=123372

Brendan
Old 16-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Ajemsa (Andrew)

Thanks Brendan,

I checked this everytime I plugged them in but this is not the issue for me.

I'm just wondering if it is an issue with the hub being USB3.0 whereas all connecting cables are USB2.0 and somehow the serial to USB converter doesn't like it.

I'm guessing that someone has all their gear working through a hub (mount, cameras, etc) without issues? What USB gear do you use?

Andrew
Old 16-07-2014, 07:07 PM
thunderchildobs

HI Andrew

When I use the Sky 6, there is a setting that tells the software which com port to use. The com port various with usb port I am using.
So I have to remember to change the com port setting depending on the usb port i am using. When I forget to change the port, i get unable to connect type errors.

I have generic dick smith 4 port hub and serial converter.

Have you tried plugging one device at a time into the hub. Are you devices using to much power?

Brendan
Old 17-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Ajemsa (Andrew)

Hi Brendan,

I'm always checking the port description through Device Manager so if it tells me that the serial to USB adaptor is on COM10 (say) I then set EQMOD accordingly (as wellas getting EQMOD to do a search).

I'm still setting up so only one item is being plugged in at a time. I'd be surprised if the devices are using too much power. I'm not driving any of the devices yet and they are plugged into the PC with no extensions. Once I know they work I'll extend the cable by 4m but I'm not there yet.

I found a an old USB1.0 hub which I haven't tried yet. If I can get the devices to 'talk' I can then worry about the data transfer speed.

Andrew
Old 17-07-2014, 09:10 PM
thunderchildobs

Andrew

Have you tried using a different computer and /or different version of Windows?

Brendan
Old 18-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Ajemsa (Andrew)

Brendan,

I have used two different computers but both are on Win XP.

I actually had success with the USB1.0 hub. Both the USB2EQ5 cable and serial to USB converter worked without a problem. I would leave it like this but I want the higher data transfer rates for camera connections.

I don't know why there is a difference between the UB1.0 and USB3.0 hubs but I will look at purchasing a USB2.0 hub to see if it is any better.

Suggestions on brands for a USB2.0 hub?

Andrew