Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 23-09-2020, 03:40 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Drivers need to run ASI224MC Camera on Windows 10 and FireCapture

Hi,*

I have a ZWO ASI224MC Camera on the way.

I plan to run it through the program called FireCapture.

I am also going to be running it on Windows 10 and a Laptop.

I have just been looking through the ZWO Site and it tells me i need to download their Software drivers.

So do i take it i need to download what they refer to as ASI Cameras V3.0.0.1 ( This is under their Native drivers )

Do I need to install their ASIStudio ( Under Software )

Do i need to install their ASCOM Platform ( under ASCOM Drivers )

I do i just only need to install the first one (ASI Cameras V3.0.0.11 ) and it will then run on FireCapture fine?

Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 23-09-2020, 03:45 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

You're best to download the ASCOM and native drivers. The native drivers are better for a high frame rate. ASI Studio is just another capture program. I don't use it. Sharpcap is also a good capture program to try.
Old 23-09-2020, 03:58 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks for the reply,
So just to help be get a tad less confused,
( still learning all of this as this is my first go at using a dedicated astronomy camera)

I should also download ASCOM Platform V6.4
and also under that there is the ASI Cameras v1.0.4.5

Download both of these as well?

Tried look up this ASCOM Platform, basically it sounds like it is a program that lets other programs talk to each other.

Do i need to somehow when installed this ASCOM Platform, set it up to FireCapture and the ZWO Camera, or it a program that just runs in the background?

Sorry for the basic questions.
Old 23-09-2020, 04:15 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

No worries.

First download and install the ASCOM platform. I think it's version 6.5 now.
Then got to the ASI website and download the native drivers for your camera, the ASCOM drivers and ASI Studio if you want. Install them all.

Go download FireCapture and Sharpcap if you want to try.

When you start FireCapture for the first time look into the main program folder. There is a batch file called FireCaptureASI. Run it and it will create a series of shortcut. The one you want to use is FireCaptureASI.exe.

With the camera plugged in and the driver loaded it will be recognised by your computer. Start FireCapture or Sharpcap and it will start the camera loop so you'll see a video viewport on your screen.
Old 23-09-2020, 04:48 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I use FireCapture with both the ASI 174 and the ASI 1600. They work very well.
I’m sure if you have concerns, we will be able to help.
Old 23-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

just download the drivers, ascom is not required unless you absolutely need it Also try sharpcap
Old 24-09-2020, 06:46 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks for the replies, Appreciated.
Yes, just trying not to put too much unwanted programs onto the Laptop.
I will try them out when the Camera arrives.
Interesting comments, some say to go with ascom and some say not to bother.
If it is not needed, then might be best not to install it just for the sake of installing it, But as i am only just learning this stuff i am looking for the best advise.

If i install Auscom, do i also need to install the driver called: ASI Cameras ASCOM driver to support our cameras ( this is under the ASCOM Drives)

So basically if you don't mind me asking, what is the advantage of installing this ascom and disadvantage, just to help me make up my mind.

Always keen to listen to good advice.
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 24-09-2020, 07:03 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

A note if you do decide to install ASCOM, that requires .NET 3.5 to be installed first, which is easy on windows 10. Hit the windows key or the button on the desktop, then type "Windows features" (Without the quotation marks) and it will bring up an item called "Turn windows features on or off" you don't need top select a search box or anything, just hit the windows button and start typing. Select that item and one of the selections in the window that will open is .NET 3.5. Select that and allow windows to download the required files and you are done. I don't recall if it requires a restart.

And regards the drivers, yes, you need the ZWO camera drivers and if you plan to use the ASCOM platform, the ASCOM drivers in addition to the windows ones.
Old 24-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
Thanks for the replies, Appreciated.
Yes, just trying not to put too much unwanted programs onto the Laptop.
I will try them out when the Camera arrives.
Interesting comments, some say to go with ascom and some say not to bother.
If it is not needed, then might be best not to install it just for the sake of installing it, But as i am only just learning this stuff i am looking for the best advise.

If i install Auscom, do i also need to install the driver called: ASI Cameras ASCOM driver to support our cameras ( this is under the ASCOM Drives)

So basically if you don't mind me asking, what is the advantage of installing this ascom and disadvantage, just to help me make up my mind.

Always keen to listen to good advice.
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 24-09-2020, 02:26 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Will read up a bit more on it and watch some videos fist.
Seams that i need a lot of extra programs.

Just found a video that explains a lot of what everyone is trying to tell me.
There is also a part two of this video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HCdHKD3V-k

Makes a tad more sense for my slow learning.

Last edited by bluesilver; 24-09-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:16 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi, finally got my camera Friday.
It is the ASI224MC camera.

Just got a few questions i am hoping someone might be able to help me out with.

I am getting a black and white video image rather than a color image so some reason.

Got the drivers installed and running Fire Capture.

I just downloaded the ASI Cameras V3.0.0.1 ( This is under their Native drivers )
And also the latest Fire Capture.
So, i have everything connected and Fire Capture up and running.

I have just been trying it out inside to see if it all worked, The video coming up on my screen is all back and white, like a monochrome camera, This one is suppose to be a color according to the details.
( ASI224MC )
If anyone has any ideas on what i have set wrong or any other ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:53 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Hi Peter, FireCapture will capture the raw8 (undebayered) images by default - in fact, this is the best way to capture the images to file, and use something like AS!3 to debayer them afterwards.

Of course, it is best to see the images in colour on the screen, so there is an option to display the colour image on the screen. It looks like a 9 box colour grid, check this and the colour image will be displayed. I would strongly suggest you watch some of the tutorial videos on the FireCapture website to learn the software
Old 04-10-2020, 12:35 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense now you mentioned it that way.
I struggle a little bit with the accent from the tutorials, but now you have mentioned that and going back over the tutorials, makes it a bit easier to understand what they are explaining.
Appreciated.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:24 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi, finally slowly getting my head around FireCaputure.
I have just downloaded Sharacap to try out the polar alignment part of the program.
Looks easy enough to work with.
The issue is when i got the program up and running, selected my camera from the camera menu ( ASI224MC ) all i got was a white screen.
So i figured that i would play around with the gain and exposure settings to see if i could get an image on the screen ( using it inside during the daytime )
I git the screen to go anywhere from white to black, but no image, figured something a bit odd going on, so was going to leave it until i can get outside under the stars.
In the meantime i went back an opened up FireCapture, I now get a white screen on here as well, it was working fine last time i had it opened.

Has installing SharpCap and playing with the setting on there messed up my camera settings for when i open up FireCapture, or is there something else odd going on?
I haven't got ASCOM or anything else installed yet.
Or have i really messed everything up and need to uninstall it all and start over?
Not the best with technology as you can see.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Peter,
Softly, softly, I have FireCapture and Sharpcap peacefully coexisting on my PC.
Do you have the camera mounted on a scope or are you working on the bench.
I find when playing with cameras on the bench that yes, you get a bright white screen unless you cover the front of the nosepiece with your fingers/hand to reduce the ambient light. Use short exposures and low gain, check the histogram.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:47 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Ah, Bingo,
Yes i am working through it all on a bench inside, i like to try to work things out before getting outside in the dark.
Your mention of the nose piece is what did it.
What happened was i changed the original eyepiece over to the nose piece ready for the Telescope.

After reading that, put the original one back on and all is now good.
Thanks heaps, thought i messed things up really good for a while.

Everything else is going along fine, will wait now until it gets dark and hopefully clear to see how things go.

Thanks heaps again, Just a little slow with the Technology workings.
Appreciated.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Fox

G'day Peter, you sound just like me, as I am a novice to all this as well. If I recall, I just downloaded the ASI224 drivers and Firecapture, and made sure I played around with it during the daytime to become familiar with it. For planetary and lunar capturing, that's all you really need at the moment.

Some challenges that may lay ahead is 'combining' how to focus in concert with placing the planet on the chip. After capturing, then comes Autostakker, and (commonly) Registax.

I haven't gone EQMOD/Stellarium yet, there's really no need if I'm getting by with the hand controller just at the moment. It's a steep learning curve, but so rewarding as well, and I'm taking it in just bit by bit. One thing to note, depending on your scope, the ASI224 chip is small (optimised for planets), so you may well find the whole moon will not fit into the frame. There is a great site 'astronomy.tools' where you can plug in your telescope and camera configuration, and it will show you what FOV you will get for just about any object.

Cheers, Fox
Old 06-10-2020, 08:00 PM
Fox

Hi Peter, I was just rummaging through some of your recent posts re: the AZ-EQ6, SynScan, PC to run a camera etc. - you sound just like me !!!
I am finding the whole 'focus on star' then placing the planet on the chip (at high power !) quite challenging - so I have some more equipment on order that might help a lot.
If it works out, I'll report back. The iOptron iPolar seems brilliant, so far.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:46 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi Fox, Yes it is a tad challenging, especially more myself, not up to speed with all the latest technology yet.
Just waiting for a decent night to try things out again.
I have using a DLSR and that is working fine, just thought it was a good time to move into a dedicated camera.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:05 AM
Fox

G’day Peter, one other small thing that caught me out, do you have a UV-IR cut filter for your ASI224MC? Without it, on planets I believe you can get blur and strange colour tints with this camera, which I noticed with my very first shot of Jupiter.

Yeah, at our locations, the weather has been so disappointing lately

Fox