Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Orion Widefield

Managed to get my new CEM40 out for a test run on the 27th, used my QHY183C and Canon 50mm f1.8 lens at f2.8. I let it run unsupervised and unguided for 5 hours running 60s shots but had to toss some frames due to the rising sun. Not 100% happy with the image but since it is just for testing I'll live with it. Once operational this setup will be utilising the STC Duo filter which should help combat the CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Final.jpg)
204.4 KB179 views
Old 01-12-2019, 01:16 PM
casstony

Nice one Paul. I like looking at widefields to get ideas for imaging targets. I see the Boogeyman there in the lower right corner.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Nice one Paul. I like looking at widefields to get ideas for imaging targets. I see the Boogeyman there in the lower right corner.
Thanks. I was wondering if that dark cloud had a name, cheers.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:33 PM
RyanJones

Nice wide field Paul. Good effort to go for 5 hours unguided too.

The STC will heavily reduce the stars in the field which will make all that nebulosity really pop out nicely. As a consequence of reducing the luminosity of stars it will reduce the apparent CA but won’t really deal with the cause of it. I’m interested as a fellow STC user to see the results.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:20 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Stars stars stars! There's so much potential in that image Paul, I like it! If you decide to tackle it again don't change the framing. I think it's perfect!
Old 04-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Stars stars stars! There's so much potential in that image Paul, I like it! If you decide to tackle it again don't change the framing. I think it's perfect!
Cheers. Yeah the framing is nice and with more time I think the subtle brown has clouds should become clearer and I agree I love all the stars in the field.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Have you tried stopping the f-ratio a bit more and just go for longer subs? Might need 2min subs to offset the slower f ratio but should easily be feasible with that mount and lens combo unguided.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasp05 View Post
Have you tried stopping the f-ratio a bit more and just go for longer subs? Might need 2min subs to offset the slower f ratio but should easily be feasible with that mount and lens combo unguided.
I haven’t yet. Next time out I will probably try for f3.5 and then if needs be f4.
Old 23-12-2019, 01:02 AM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Very nice slice of the sky Paul. I reckon this is a candidate for a reprocess down the track as you hone your processing skills. lovely colours & detail there already. Well done.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 28-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Paulyman (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant0nio View Post
Very nice slice of the sky Paul. I reckon this is a candidate for a reprocess down the track as you hone your processing skills. lovely colours & detail there already. Well done.
Cheers,
Tony
Cheers, Tony. I agree, I have since learned a new noise reduction technique and Star removal technique in PixInsight. The new version is much more natural looking. The stars are still too much for my taste but that’s the price I pay for the ultra wide field using a lens I guess.