Old 16-04-2008, 04:40 AM
Kirkus (Kirk)
Beginner-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnipey View Post
Hi Kirkus,
I was under the impression that the TC-80N3 wasn't compatible with the 400D. It has a different plug to connect to the camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
That is correct. The 400D has a 2.5mm plug the same as the 300D & 350D. The 20D, 30D and 40D all take the TC-80N3 plug.
I discovered that also. That's a bit of a disappointment, unless I consider the money saved.

And the EOS Utility software doesn't work in Bulb mode on the 400D. I'll be content with manually operating the shutter via remote (or I'll have to take up a different hobby ).
Old 16-04-2008, 06:24 AM
gbeal

If the 400D has the 2.5mm plug, why not visit a Jaycar, or DickinSmith and get one of these plugs, plus the serial plug, and make a lead. That way the software will allow you to make exposures in excess of the 30 seconds.
Old 17-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Kirkus (Kirk)
Beginner-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
If the 400D has the 2.5mm plug, why not visit a Jaycar, or DickinSmith and get one of these plugs, plus the serial plug, and make a lead. That way the software will allow you to make exposures in excess of the 30 seconds.
That's a great suggestion, gbeal. Thank you! I may do that in the future, mainly because I'm learning that trying to focus through the camera viewfinder isn't an easy thing to do. It's much easier to do so with the software, and as long as my laptop is next to the scope anyway, why not use it to run the whole show.

I purchased a wired remote shutter release today. It has a lock position on it so I can trigger the shutter and lock it open. Despite the 90% moon and the fact that Orion is approaching the horizon at sundown, I still tried some longer exposures of it tonight. I think my mount is PO'ed at me for making it carry my 10" DOB for the past few months and it's not tracking for... well, you know. The best I could get with my camera piggybacked was 1 min. exposures without too much star trailing. I'll work on getting the mount back in shape to carry the 6" Meade that it was built for. I especially like how the long exposure at night makes the trees look like they're turning orange.

My first "more than 30 second" exposure is attached. I'd still be downstairs if the battery in my camera hadn't gone belly up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M42_041608_1minP.jpg)
104.1 KB42 views
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
nexgen (James)

Which CCD Camera?

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a CCD Camera to connect to a 8" Meade LX90 ACF.
What would be the best purchase for mostly Lunar/Planetary as well as some DSO.
I contacted bintel and they said Imaging Source Cameras would be the way to go!

Regards
James