Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

M42 first light ASI 294mcPro

First light on Sunday
29x 2 minute acquisition with the optolong L-enhance filter, 30 darks

This is a better camera for my focal length as it fits the field a lot better.

Orion ED80

I would have gone further but the late hours and work meant time to pack up. Imagine what 2-3 hours of acquisition would bring out, I'm impressed so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (orrrrrrr.jpg)
97.7 KB163 views
Old 26-11-2019, 07:38 PM
JA

That's an excellent result Nik

Best
JA
Old 26-11-2019, 07:40 PM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
First light on Sunday
29x 2 minute acquisition with the optolong L-enhance filter, 30 darks

This is a better camera for my focal length as it fits the field a lot better.

Orion ED80

I would have gone further but the late hours and work meant time to pack up. Imagine what 2-3 hours of acquisition would bring out, I'm impressed so far.
Nice work Nik. Looks promising. 600mm I think is a really good AP focal length for DSOs and matches well with a 4/3 sensor. My shortest OTA is an f/4 800mm and framing a lot of DSOs even on a APSc can often be quite challenging

Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for you with this rig.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 26-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I really want an ed 120 which I can use with a 0.6 reducer flattener, I reckon that combo would be awesome for this setup. better resolution etc.
Old 26-11-2019, 07:51 PM
raymo

Another one headed for the main forum.
raymo
Old 26-11-2019, 08:02 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Another one headed for the main forum.
raymo
Thanks Everyone
Raymo that's quite the compliment
Cheers
Old 27-11-2019, 04:43 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

That core! That core is amazing! An excellent rendition Nik. Extremely detailed and the scale really draws you in.
Old 27-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I've added a different processing version
Same files but this time processed in part in Astro pixel processor, finalised in Photoshop.
I think APP has some merit and much easier to use than Pixinsite
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (OROIN.jpg)
100.7 KB143 views
Old 27-11-2019, 10:26 PM
raymo

In both versions where is the blue?
raymo
Old 28-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Hey Raymo
Not sure as I am using the l- enhancefilter which really is red dominant
Still trying to work out the processing for this hence trialling APP
Old 28-11-2019, 02:07 PM
crs (Colin)
Colin Melbourne

thats very good. Like the way you processed the bright centre back as well. Nice.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

nice shot and process Nik ,stay with the ed80 they are such a good scope
ALAN
Old 01-12-2019, 11:22 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Nice one Nic , Myself and a mate are looking at this camera as the best $ value for size and quality. All sold out everywhere. Next available date from March 2020.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Nik
Nice M42 you captured
Core is quite detailed you can just see the trap
Martin
Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Looks nice. Much nicer star shapes in the corners than my ED72 gives.

A couple of data calibration tips for the 294.

Darks are pretty easy to shoot with that cam. I create a master dark in Astro Pixel Processor for whatever length sub I am using by shooting at least 50 darks at the time and temperature (You might or might not be able to get down to -15 in summer, I used -10 last summer but have been able to get to -15 so far this spring even on those couple of really hot days) I was using the same master darks for about six months before I noticed any problems and shot new ones.

Flat frames, again you want at least 50 to make a master flat for your cam/scope combo, and they want to be 5 seconds or more which will probably require you to use a flat panel or box of some sort. I aim for 30,000ADU. Don't use bias frames but do shoot dark flats of the same length as the flats to calibrate them. You need to reshoot them more or less any time you rotate any part of the image train or if you remove anything and refit it, as new dust bunnies are inevitable. If you can stick to the same flat frame time you should be able to reuse the dark flat for months though to generate the master flat. Remember not to touch the focus position or camera rotation.

I have been using Astro Pixel Processor since about March, loosing that now would be like cutting my leg off!

I am not sure how it would go with the filter you are using but have you tried the "Calibrate star colours" tool? To use that, first you need to run the "Calibrate background" tool on the integration (tab 9 after you integrate) and make sure you select a couple of areas that do not have nebulosity for the select boxes.

The star colour tool will ask you to make at least one select box. Try to drag out a reasonable area but again, avoid nebulosity. You can select a number of areas in the image if you need to to get a good number of stars. I have found that tool to be sensitive to what outlier rejection filter you use (If you are using one) and for the 294 have found of the "LN" (Local normalisation) filters to look fine cosmetically but produce a hideous green cast when the colour calibration tool is run.

Since I have found that, for under 20 light subs I use quality/median for the integration, LNC 1 and say 5 iterations (It will usually call it quits after about 3) and no outlier rejection filter. For greater than 20 subs, use quality/average, the same LNC settings and MAD-Windsor for outlier rejection filter.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Looks nice. Much nicer star shapes in the corners than my ED72 gives.

A couple of data calibration tips for the 294.

Darks are pretty easy to shoot with that cam. I create a master dark in Astro Pixel Processor for whatever length sub I am using by shooting at least 50 darks at the time and temperature (You might or might not be able to get down to -15 in summer, I used -10 last summer but have been able to get to -15 so far this spring even on those couple of really hot days) I was using the same master darks for about six months before I noticed any problems and shot new ones.

Flat frames, again you want at least 50 to make a master flat for your cam/scope combo, and they want to be 5 seconds or more which will probably require you to use a flat panel or box of some sort. I aim for 30,000ADU. Don't use bias frames but do shoot dark flats of the same length as the flats to calibrate them. You need to reshoot them more or less any time you rotate any part of the image train or if you remove anything and refit it, as new dust bunnies are inevitable. If you can stick to the same flat frame time you should be able to reuse the dark flat for months though to generate the master flat. Remember not to touch the focus position or camera rotation.

I have been using Astro Pixel Processor since about March, loosing that now would be like cutting my leg off!

I am not sure how it would go with the filter you are using but have you tried the "Calibrate star colours" tool? To use that, first you need to run the "Calibrate background" tool on the integration (tab 9 after you integrate) and make sure you select a couple of areas that do not have nebulosity for the select boxes.

The star colour tool will ask you to make at least one select box. Try to drag out a reasonable area but again, avoid nebulosity. You can select a number of areas in the image if you need to to get a good number of stars. I have found that tool to be sensitive to what outlier rejection filter you use (If you are using one) and for the 294 have found of the "LN" (Local normalisation) filters to look fine cosmetically but produce a hideous green cast when the colour calibration tool is run.

Since I have found that, for under 20 light subs I use quality/median for the integration, LNC 1 and say 5 iterations (It will usually call it quits after about 3) and no outlier rejection filter. For greater than 20 subs, use quality/average, the same LNC settings and MAD-Windsor for outlier rejection filter.

Awesome advice Bluester I'll give it a go now that I'm getting my head around the workflow.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:44 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

The workflows are never very simple. But almost every image I have posted here was shot with the 294MC Pro so they can produce some really solid results.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 PM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Very nice pic. I've a very similar set-up, except I have a SW ED80. Waiting for the weather to clear up so I can get my rig out.

Rene
Old 02-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
Very nice pic. I've a very similar set-up, except I have a SW ED80. Waiting for the weather to clear up so I can get my rig out.

Rene
The only difference between the 2 scopes is the focuser which I upgraded on my Orion even with a skywatcher electronic aid