Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 17-10-2019, 06:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

New Projects for Australia.

I have been watching all the things they are doing in China and tried to think what we are doing in Australia.
I could not think of anything.
Are we building anything worth mentioning?
And if not what should we build?
Alex
Old 17-10-2019, 07:36 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
...and tried to think what we are doing in Australia.
Stagnating.

Letting the world pass us by, as always, worrying ourselves about trivial matters that shouldn't even be but a momentary lapse of reason. We need that gourmet cup of coffee with soy, and to share our insignificantly pathetic existences on Farcebook, or needing the iPhone 11 with 3 cameras and a shiny case so we can post selfies with ducklips and fake tits.

Same happening in USA, UK, and most of Europe, so I guess we are in the Going Nowhere but Bankrupt Fast club.
Old 17-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Paul Haese

Err SKA, pretty big project I reckon.
Old 18-10-2019, 07:24 AM
N1 (Mirko)

As the scale and number of major projects goes down, so does the potential for major stuffups.
Old 18-10-2019, 08:47 AM
doug mc

Let me see. Surplus first, then tax cuts, and if there is anything left in the kitty......??? Who knows.
Old 18-10-2019, 09:19 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I know dams are no longer in favour but thinking about what could be the most important issues to address I concluded that water security must be it.

City folk don't think about water I believe...but in the country water is the most important thing.

I am selling some water to a poor guy who without that water will see his fruit trees die..years of work heaps of dollars all dependant on water...in Tenterfield they have a major water problem..
Well most places you look are in need of water...so I believe we need to store more water...I am not in favour of large dams but I think many small dams in any place or river can only be a good thing. Maybe 4 mts high every couple of miles...with little streams around so fish can still travel.
I see things like...12 guys to put up a pole..20 guys with one actually mowing the grass...situations where clearly government needs to get money into the community...examine road works and wonder about the bodies on the job...anyways how good would building many small dams be for our future and each community that is building dams in their region. Jobs and water security for the places this idea will work.
I am in favour of daming salt water bays so they end up holding fresh water..just like the Plover Dam in China.
The main road is nearly finished so what next..dams I say...if you look at any of the ancient ruins and ask what happened most often their fall was due to lack of water...desalinators may be part of the answer but dam storage seems a logical approach to me.
So how to implement the idea...lobbyists...which ones...mmm those representing Steel, cement and quarry interests...
Alex

Perhaps the worrying thing is no one comes forward with this sort of thing..When has any Polly suggested anything that you could say is needed..one snowy scheme was it..why not more? Hydro electricity should be on our list..and the Snowy was a success that way..the diversion for agriculture perhaps not a wise move.
But where are similar plans and ideas?
Alex

Last edited by RB; 18-10-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 18-10-2019, 09:36 AM
okiscopey (Mike)
Rocky Peak Observatory

Quote:
Perhaps the worrying thing is no one comes forward with this sort of thing.. ...one snowy scheme was it. why not more? Hydro electricity should be on our list..and the Snowy was a success that way..the diversion for agriculture perhaps not a wise move. But where are similar plans and ideas?
Alex
How about Snowy 2.0?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-49202175
Old 18-10-2019, 09:40 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiscopey View Post
Yes stuff like that.
Alex
Old 18-10-2019, 05:12 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
I know dams are no longer in favour but thinking about what could be the most important issues to address I concluded that water security must be it.

City folk don't think about water I believe...but in the country water is the most important thing.

I am selling some water to a poor guy who without that water will see his fruit trees die..years of work heaps of dollars all dependant on water...in Tenterfield they have a major water problem..
Well most places you look are in need of water...so I believe we need to store more water...I am not in favour of large dams but I think many small dams in any place or river can only be a good thing. Maybe 4 mts high every couple of miles...with little streams around so fish can still travel.
I see things like...12 guys to put up a pole..20 guys with one actually mowing the grass...situations where clearly government needs to get money into the community...examine road works and wonder about the bodies on the job...anyways how good would building many small dams be for our future and each community that is building dams in their region. Jobs and water security for the places this idea will work.
I am in favour of daming salt water bays so they end up holding fresh water..just like the Plover Dam in China.
The main road is nearly finished so what next..dams I say...if you look at any of the ancient ruins and ask what happened most often their fall was due to lack of water...desalinators may be part of the answer but dam storage seems a logical approach to me.
So how to implement the idea...lobbyists...which ones...mmm those representing Steel, cement and quarry interests...
Alex

Perhaps the worrying thing is no one comes forward with this sort of thing..When has any Polly suggested anything that you could say is needed..one snowy scheme was it..why not more? Hydro electricity should be on our list..and the Snowy was a success that way..the diversion for agriculture perhaps not a wise move.
But where are similar plans and ideas?
Alex
No rain makes a dam nothing more than a hole in the ground.
Snowy mountain schemes kill rivers.
Nobody says, "plant some bloody trees instead of stripping the land to bare dirt". Whats missing in this pic? https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...esson/11614698

Sympathy? NOPE. Industrial agriculture beats the soil to death in the name of PROFIT and that's a simple reality people need to accept. Rip away the forests, and ya get deserts; simple.

Now, pollies say we have to support farmers? BS! Farmers need to change farming practices, replant vegetation, dump cows and stop sticking their heads where the sun don't shine.

Ooh, ah.... I'm gonna swear, "Climate change!!".
Old 18-10-2019, 05:56 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Rom

So glad I find you in a positive mood.

The problem with the Snowy as I understand it was it's two fold objective ..that of a power generation plant and the key to irrigation on the West of the range.
But rather than looking at what we did wrong perhaps we could look at what we did right, improve and use the expertise and natural resources to do better next time.
There are ways to maintain a river even when you put in a dam.
And Hydro power is very sensible... Irrigating deserts to produce food or rather cotton and yet plant BS forrests on prime flood plain land on the coastal strip perhaps not such a great idea after all...but as we know the plantation timber could be called a scam in retrospect.

Leave out part two of the snowy and the river would have survived...hydro was never the problem trying to change where the river has always gone was the problem.

I do not see how you can blame farmers for reacting in the only way possible given the dictates of a market economy. The market economy demands you produce more this year than last year and with a lower profit margin...Farmers produce our food have you forgot that? Sure we need regulation that first takes pressure off so they can look after the land.
City folk have no idea just how caring farmers and country folk are about the land..no idea whatsoever but happy to build strawmen unrepresentative of farmers in general.
Farmers hate to over graze that is a fact...they are not as stupid as the strawman city folk construct.

So what meat did you eat last week..not any cows I hope.

If you want to blame anyone perhaps blame the government for not stepping in..shouldnt be too difficult to legislate to guide farming practice to your satisfaction.
...and of course the government is you, me and the next guy...but the pressure comes from Coles and Woolies who screw down prices, to make city folk happy, resulting in farmers having to become tugger on their land management.

Farmers are simple folk and feed you, me and everyone in the country, supermarkets buy that food from farmers and places that process farm products...and without agriculture humans would never have achieved civilization ...farmers permit the rest of us to play at life and not go out each day to hunt protein...or waste out time producing carbohydrates etc... and so perhaps rather than treat farmers with such contempt may I suggest an approach that puts forward a solution rather than a useless spray of negative prattle.
I may have to amend my words as I have yet to read your link which I now thank you for providing.
Thanks for contributing..it's great to have you in the thread.
Alex

I read the link.
Stuff the farmers sure but put aside money for the arts and all the other little drains on the tin I guess.
The first comment re dams being no more than a hole in the ground...and here I cite personal hands on experience...as I said I am selling water to a guy..his dams are dry but my dams still have water...what this tells me is..if there were only one dam..his..the trees would now be dead...but with two dams, and the same amount of rain the result is more water...it's like money in the bank..the more you have the longer you can go between injections of income..more dams would seem very sensible.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 19-10-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 18-10-2019, 09:51 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

For what it's worth Alex, bless you for holding your own in this thread. I couldn't have put it better myself if my life depended on it. For all the farmers I've met, that earlier diatribe would be a full on insult. To run the land ragged willingly is the sign of an unprofessional amateur. A professional in any field has a symbiotic relationship with his tools/resources. Destroy your means, and you have no industry.

Just had to get this in before the thread is locked.
Old 19-10-2019, 12:34 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Australia is right at the top of the world for a $ per capita investment in renewable energy (though not in total MW). The number of individual construction projects underway is just astounding.
Whilst there's some government subsidies involved, most of it is pure economics.
Old 19-10-2019, 05:41 PM
blindman (human)
Now I see !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTrooper View Post
Australia is right at the top of the world for a $ per capita investment in renewable energy (though not in total MW). The number of individual construction projects underway is just astounding.
Whilst there's some government subsidies involved, most of it is pure economics.
Mainstream media say that we are worse than Greece.!?
Negative interest will be good - borrow money from bank, you build a house and get back more money than borrowed - perfect
Old 19-10-2019, 07:08 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman View Post
Mainstream media say that we are worse than Greece.!?
Negative interest will be good - borrow money from bank, you build a house and get back more money than borrowed - perfect
If you are listening to a media outlet that is saying those things, you'd be advised to get your news elsewhere. The post mining boom meltdown never happened and we still have solid employment. Pretty much every tradie is doing well.
You'll never see negative interest rates. Your bank might, but not you. Hardly any of the banks have fully passed on the most recent interest rate cuts. As always they have chosen to line their own pockets instead.
Old 19-10-2019, 09:51 PM
blindman (human)
Now I see !!!

Sorry, it was from SMH, mainstream media, which is alpha&omega for you probably. I usually use other sources :-)
Second line is just sarcasm, right?
Crisis is here, but for now our beloved banks and politicians is hiding something from us.
Old 20-10-2019, 07:44 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman View Post
Sorry, it was from SMH, mainstream media, which is alpha&omega for you probably. I usually use other sources :-)
Second line is just sarcasm, right?
Crisis is here, but for now our beloved banks and politicians is hiding something from us.

Have a good one.
Old 20-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Australian's are mugs when it comes to infrastructure as far as I can tell.

Take Sydney's seconds airport at Badgery's Creek. After nearly a half century of dithering they finally started the thing...but it will take another 10 years to become operational. The cost is eye watering.

But it doesn't have to be that way. Wellcamp airport in Toowoomba was privately constructed in under...wait for it...2 years! and can take B747 movements to boot.

The government should stick to building thing's they'd be good at...like say, a big Wombat in Canberra. It would be a nice tourist attraction. You could have the Big Wombat restaurant, t-shirts and coffee cups (made in China).

P.S.
Forgot to mention, the Wagner family built the Wellcamp airport for 200 million, Budgie's Creek (also single runway ) is estimated to cost 5 BILLION dollars. Funny there are no senate inquiries on that anomaly.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 20-10-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 20-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Totally agree Peter
Well said !
Old 20-10-2019, 10:08 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

As usual your observations are on the money Peter although I do think building a big wombat is something the government should leave to the private sector.

And we complain to each other but who umoungst us writes a letter to their local member with a copy for the opposition?

Whilst the snouts are in the trough you would think someone would be tempted to do some butt kicking ..but no the footy is on.

Anyways the government is not so bad ...I have been reading about Starlin and so perhaps we should be happy with the way it is...and folk get stuck into the public service but I must say the folk in higher levels than those the general public get to interact with I have found most capable....so really do we have any problems? If so what are they really?

I think perhaps education could be better and that is an uninformed opinion but really no matter how good it is today it must be better tomorrow.

I propose that each city build its own large Australian animal ... Such is good because at least it is doing something new...stagnation and complacency is the enemy ... But really more energy and more water is a must..if there can be one offset to the problems of a warming environment surely more energy and more water will be key to minimising the negative effects.

I have no faith or confidence that humans will head off the problem and feel preparing for a hotter environment makes sense...you can't lose.. even if things go ice age both fresh water supply and energy can only make us better able to cope.

Maybe if we all sent a letter to both our mp and his opponent simply asking...what infrastructure projects would you like to see our country embrace maybe they will start thinking about how they could make promises we all would like to hear.

Personally I think Australia should be the first country to build battle stars..if we ha E the water and energy we could do that.
Alex
Old 20-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:

And we complain to each other but who umoungst us writes a letter to their local member with a copy for the opposition?
Alex
Not only have I written, I have met with my (previous) local federal member and authored the bulk of the material for a speech she made in the House of Reps, (and now tabled in Hansard) about the idiocy behind placing the second Sydney airport in the middle of the Holsworthy Firing range (where there are many UXO's and UXB's scattered about...duh...can't a potential problem there (not)) and next to the Woronora Dam...source of MY drinking water.

Not happy Jan!

I do strongly recommend to one and all that you hold your local member accountable for lame party policy(s)