Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 AM
pvelez (Pete)

Hanging Maxim

Has anyone experienced Maxim clagging out midway through an exposure?

I've downloaded an update for Maxim - version 23 from memory - and have been autoguiding using guider relays as CCDAP won't play nicely with ASCOM for some reason. I've found a few times that Maxim simply locks up and ceases to respond. The only option is to shut it all down and start again.

Is it just me?

Pete
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I've never seen that but I'm still on 5.17. Are you a member of the MaximDL Yahoo group? If there are problems then there's a good chance people will be talking about it there.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:16 AM
bert (Brett)
Automation nut

If you have maxim connected to your scope you can bump via telescope, rather than relays. This depends if you are exposing the pmx/skyx as an ascom driver or not to cccdap.

HTH
Brett
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Tandum (Robin)

I had similar issues. Even after dropping back to an earlier version, I still had freezing problems.

I traced mine to usb problems and had to replace the motherboard in the OBS PC to clear them. It's been very stable since doing that.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Mine did it occasionally when I was using a powered USB hub. I replaced that with the mount hub pro and have not had it occur since so as robin said it may be a USB problem.

Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks team

It certainly may be a USB issue. I use the PMX hub which is a bit funny sometimes. The fact that I encountered it first with an upgrade and different guide method suggests it's not a coincidence but how can I tell? I suppose I'll try using ASCOM and see if it happens again

Pete
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Mmmm - something very odd happening. Same issue with the second image taken

clouds rolling in so I'll need to troubleshoot later n the weekend

Pete
Old 13-11-2012, 07:23 AM
pvelez (Pete)

THis is becoming curiouser and curiouser. For those who came in late...

I've been using Maxim DL as my imaging program for a couple of years now. Recently I started using CCD Autopilot. I found that on a pier flip I was unable to keep guiding. Thinking the issue was with outdated software, I downloaded the latest version of Maxim - 5.23 from memory. I also updated TSX.

Now I find that Maxim hangs when guiding. I can take a few images happily and then everything locks up - Maxim ceases to respond and I need to shut it down, restart, recalibrate etc. I've been able to trace it to Maxim using the log in CCDAP.

I've eliminated hardware issues. I have the same issue with both the Atik Titan and SSAG. I have swapped USB cables and have used both ASCOM pulse guiding and guider relays.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I am left with 3 options - its the updated Maxim, updated TSX or the combination of the 2.

My inclination is to roll-back Maxim and see if it remains an issue. However I bought a one-off upgrade when I updated the software and am not sure how to roll it back. Any tips on how to do this would be appreciated.

My other thought is that it might be a feature of TSX. The updated version now supports guiding and capture - though its not as full featured as Maxim. Perhaps something in the architecture of the new version gets in the way of Maxim.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this

Pete
Old 13-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Karls48 (Karl)

Pete, it may not be related to your problem but after I updated Maxim from 5.18 to 5.22 EasyCap frame grabber has stopped working. It worked perfectly before upgrade, now the picture comes up briefly and then it disappears. It does worry me much because I use EasyCap with GStar seldom.