Old 07-09-2012, 08:36 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Just curious, as I will be seeing Scott in a couple of weeks. Would starlapse owners and would be owners be interested in a Losmandy tripod dedicated to starlapse heads? How much would you pay? Or is the current use of a photo tripod enough?

BTW Scott did not want to make the product. I hassled him for years, but given his very clever implementation and subsequent popularity of the end product I'm very pleased he capitulated
Peter, my 190XPROB copes with the StarLapse and a DSLR and 500mm lens.

I just switched the 498RC2 ball head for an 804RC2 and that is more stable, but less convenient for terrestrial shooting. I guess that means take both heads and a screwdriver.

Getting the mount dovetail the right way round (put the end with the mount screw closest to the camera so it protrudes further in the other direction) helps the balance. I'm yet to try it with the ST80.

Once you go past that grade of tripod the price goes up quickly, so I'd consider a dedicated mount.

The 190XPROB fits in my usual checked luggage, with room left for a week's clothes. If the mount was much bigger it would mean the StarLapse had to go in my airline maximum size cabin bag and that will be pushing the weight limit. It already has a DSLR with one lens and a camera bag that takes a couple more lenses.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Just curious, as I will be seeing Scott in a couple of weeks. Would starlapse owners and would be owners be interested in a Losmandy tripod dedicated to starlapse heads? How much would you pay? Or is the current use of a photo tripod enough?

BTW Scott did not want to make the product. I hassled him for years, but given his very clever implementation and subsequent popularity of the end product I'm very pleased he capitulated
well to be honest no more than $500 max - and thats in AUS dollars delivered. I think it rather silly he didnt look at it

to answer chris:

the weight limitation for the polarie is spot on, unless you run lithium batteries or a usb battery pack your limited to 2hrs. need a polar scope but extremely portable and you get a great result
the astrotrack can take a substantially larger load better tracking but you are limited to 1h50m then reset but will run all night on a fresh set of batteries, still very portable. also need a polar scope but it has single axis guiding control but has a great mount and is easy to use

only just got the starlapse - yet to put it together but i bought it for the load carrying capacity. i bought it to carry the lunt and the 60D with 200mm lens for the eclipse - no counterweights
Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Do want.

How long was the wait, Andrew/Adam?

H
I asked Peter about them back in May or so. There was a hold up with production due to lack of motors or something...then got an email last week to say they were here. Paid early this week, arrived today.

Only had a quick chance to open the box today at work, but looks great. I am wondering about the tripod though. I will probably make some kind of adapter to fit the tripod of my GSO alt/az mount. I think it will cope with the off centre load a bit better.

In answer to your question about dedicated tripod, Peter, my preference would be for an adapter to fit the GM8 tripod. Other than that I am on the lookout for a beefy pan/tilt head for my camera tripod, as I only have one (slightly dodgy) ball head at the moment.

Adam
Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

here's what I did to get mine attached to the top of my GSO alt/az mount.

The wedge is set to 27 degrees altitude - I figure I can vary a few degrees either side without affecting stability too much by lengthening the northern legs or by putting shims under the southern leg. Then I use the mounts azimuth adjustment.

Looking forward to getting it out side and seeing what the 5D3 can do.

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (starLapse1.jpg)
108.4 KB59 views
Click for full-size image (starLapse2.jpg)
110.0 KB51 views

Last edited by adman; 08-09-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: pictures