Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-01-2010, 04:41 PM
orestis

Gamma Velorum Obs report + sketch 19/1/10

Hi everyone,

I noticed that on one of my charts it showed that gamma velorum was a double star so i thought i'll have a look and i'm glad i did because it was a beautiful star system.I also did a sketch.

Gamma velorum star system -138x :Bright Blue-white primary with the secondary being a little fainter but of same colour.At right angle to the secondary was another double star system but fainter they were both of white colour.This was an atractive star system in a great field of stars.The primary star had small diffraction spikes.

Sketch details - I drew a 50mm circle on 110 gsm white paper and then plotted the stars with a #2 mechanicl pencil.I then put it Through gimp inverted it,added some colour and made the stars look round and here is the finished sketch.

I had lots of fun making the sketch.hope you like it.

Orestis
Happy viewing
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (vela double star.JPG)
24.3 KB43 views
Old 20-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

Beautiful work Orestis! The work in Gimp certainly adds a professional touch. Sketching also helps concentration, making you observe better, taking your time: rather than rushing madly from one object to another. I would rather see a dozen objects well than forty, as if there was a race.
Old 20-01-2010, 05:09 PM
orestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lismore Bloke View Post
Beautiful work Orestis! The work in Gimp certainly adds a professional touch. Sketching also helps concentration, making you observe better, taking your time: rather than rushing madly from one object to another. I would rather see a dozen objects well than forty, as if there was a race.
Thanks Paul,

The work in gimp certainly gives it a profesional touch also i think it is more realistic to the actual ep view.

Sketching is also FUN.I think anyway.

Regards Orestis
Old 20-01-2010, 08:20 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Beautiful work Orestis! I haven't checked out Gamma Velorum yet, must start doing more doubles.
Nice sketch, I admire your patience and dedication.
Old 20-01-2010, 08:29 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

another great sketch Orestis, i sketched gamma Leporis myself last week as its on a bino observing list I am working trhu..there is lovely around colour about the secondary on this one ..a striking orange colour

what instrument have you used for the sketch
Old 20-01-2010, 09:45 PM
orestis

Malcolm-Thanks,There are plenty of doubles out there i myself am now going to observe more doubles.I love double stars.

Daniel-Thanks daniel,Can you post your sketch so i can have a look if you don't mind.Sounds like a nice double,i have put it at the top of my observing list thanks can't wait to sketch it.I used a 130mmx900mm Reflector with a 6.5mm ep.

Regards Orestis
Old 20-01-2010, 11:11 PM
M54 (Molly)

Thanks for sharing that Orestis. I've tried a little sketching myself and enjoy it immensely. Yours looks very professional. At the risk of sounding thick, what is gimp?
Molly.
Old 21-01-2010, 12:27 AM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Nice sketch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54 View Post
Thanks for sharing that Orestis. I've tried a little sketching myself and enjoy it immensely. Yours looks very professional. At the risk of sounding thick, what is gimp?
Molly.
Its a free photoshop alternative
http://www.gimp.org/
Old 21-01-2010, 07:29 AM
orestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54 View Post
Molly.
Thanks molly and Jethro,

Yeah as jethro said gimp is basically the same as photoshop but free which is why i use it.Its a great program.

Regards orestis
Old 21-01-2010, 08:55 AM
orestis

Here is a labelled sketch for those who want to know which star is which.

The primary star Regor as it is commonly known is actually itself a spectroscopic binary With it being a Blue supergiant of spectral class o9 and its very close companion at a distnace of only 1 au is a Massive wolf-rayet star,the heaviest known.The binary has a orbital period of 78.5 days.

Regors next nearest companion (Gamma velorum B)is a blue-white B-type subgiant it is seperated from the Wolf-Rayet binary by 41.2''.

Gamma velorum has several fainter companions.The magnitude +8.5 Gamma velorum C a white A-type star which is 62.3 arcseconds from the primary Regor.

Gamma velorum D a A-type star of +9.4 magnitude is itself a binary system but its companion is 13th magnitude and i was unable to see it.

Regards Orestis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (vela double star LABELLED.JPG)
15.1 KB25 views
Old 21-01-2010, 10:10 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Observation report

G'day mate,
Thats pretty clever stuff there and a good obervation report. I am going to go take a look see myself tonight. Keep up the good work
Old 21-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Good report and nice sketch, Orestis. I might have to try this gimp program with my sketches. Yours are coming out very well. But I suspect that you are a pretty good sketcher to begin with.
Old 22-01-2010, 11:00 AM
orestis

Thanks Rom and Patrick for the kind comments,

Patrick-There is a tutorial on how to use gimp to digitize your sketches on http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000567.html .
To plot stars you don't have to be an artist.Could you pm me some of your sketches i'd love to see them.

Orestis
Old 23-01-2010, 08:48 PM
pgc hunter

Good stuff mate, keep it up