Old 18-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

S&T in trouble?

The parent company has filed for bankruptcy.....
Sad if this will be the end...

(BTW still looking for your help to find a copy of MARCH 2018 and OCTOBER 2018. If you can help, please let me know)
Ken
Old 18-03-2019, 03:49 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

It seems the story of the printed word?
Cheers
Old 18-03-2019, 05:10 PM
h0ughy (David)

Really? Well there goes my subscription to 2020
Old 18-03-2019, 06:46 PM
DarkArts

Bugger. I guess that'll take AS&T with it. I look forward to the new issue each time ...
Old 18-03-2019, 11:13 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

S&T March & October

Hello Merlin,
I have both those issues, can I help with some article(s) perhaps scan & email
or would something else help.
Cheers
Chris
Old 18-03-2019, 11:27 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Really? Well there goes my subscription to 2020
That is why I don't subscribe to a magazine
Old 19-03-2019, 09:30 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi All,

As many of you know I used to be a contributing editor to both the US and Australian edition, though it was now seven years ago that I ceased writing for them and I have no association with them or the current owners.

Here is a statement from the current Editor-in-Chief about the situation with the parent company & etc:

For those who haven't seen it, here's the official announcement from S&T's Editor in chief:

To our loyal subscribers and other supporters:

As many of you have heard, F+W Media, which owns Sky & Telescope, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on March 10, 2019.

I want to reassure you that, during our parent company's restructuring process, Sky & Telescope will continue to publish. It's business-as-usual with our magazine, website, products, and tours as we seek a qualified buyer for our brand. Our expectation is that we'll be bought by a new owner in the next few months, without major disruption to the magazine or other elements of our business.

In the meantime, I ask for your patience and understanding as we work our way through this involved process. Please know that I and the rest of the staff have every confidence that Sky & Telescope will emerge from this restructuring not only intact but better equipped to serve you in our shared passion for astronomy. We are committed to preserving S&T's legacy well into the future.

As always, thank you for your loyal support. It means more to us now than ever.

Sincerely,

Peter Tyson
Editor in chief
Sky & Telescope

I wouldn't be in a hurry to write them off.
Old 19-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks for posting that information Les, that is most reassuring. I for one, would not be happy to lose S & T. Still love the printed word and find it more convenient to read or browse through at bedtime or any time rather than via electronic media and find it quicker to look up articles on paper than via drop down menus. Certainly hope they find a buyer so that the magazines, U.S. and Aust. continue to be published.
Old 19-03-2019, 11:32 AM
raymo

A bit off topic, but I bought a Kindle when they first came out, read two books with it, and haven't used it since. I too, of course hope S & T keep going.
raymo
Old 20-03-2019, 11:28 AM
phomer (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
The parent company has filed for bankruptcy.....
Sad if this will be the end...

(BTW still looking for your help to find a copy of MARCH 2018 and OCTOBER 2018. If you can help, please let me know)
Ken

Ken,

Since they stopped making a pdf version available I decided to stop any further subscribing. This was not a decision I took lightly but I wasn't prepared to subscribe to the proprietary Zinio.

Paul.
Old 23-03-2019, 01:29 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phomer View Post
Ken,

Since they stopped making a pdf version available I decided to stop any further subscribing. This was not a decision I took lightly but I wasn't prepared to subscribe to the proprietary Zinio.

Paul.
Hi Paul,

I agree: getting rid of the .pdf version was a big backwards step; and I almost did the same as you. I like reading S&T though: I think it is the better of the big two astronomy magazines; so I kept my subscription going.

I can still download so I don't have to be on-line to read the magazine, but it has to be through the Zinio interface... At least that doesn't cost any extra.

I am not sure that technology is always going in the right direction: a lot of this sort of on-line stuff is all about control...

- Dean
Old 15-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Recently received a reminder by post that I will need to renew my subscription to AS&T. Have now renewed online for 12 months of issues. Excellent quality mag.
Old 18-05-2019, 05:48 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Ken,

Paul.
PDF Version is still available at:

https://www.shopatsky.com/sky-and-te...-digital-issue

It is $5.99 USD per issue

The current issue is up to June. I download PDF version each month instead of a subscription. Back issues are available. Only the subscription is done through Zinio.

Hope that helps.

Regards Pete
Old 19-05-2019, 09:54 AM
phomer (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardrifter_WA View Post
PDF Version is still available at:

https://www.shopatsky.com/sky-and-te...-digital-issue

It is $5.99 USD per issue

The current issue is up to June. I download PDF version each month instead of a subscription. Back issues are available. Only the subscription is done through Zinio.

Hope that helps.

Regards Pete
Pete,

First I have heard of it, when I asked S&T about a pdf version they were not forthcoming, they basically said it was Zinio or nothing. It is still disappointing, given that buying one month at a time is the more expensive option and it ignores loyalty, but things are not a bad as I thought.

Paul
Old 23-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Pete,

First I have heard of it, when I asked S&T about a pdf version they were not forthcoming, they basically said it was Zinio or nothing. It is still disappointing, given that buying one month at a time is the more expensive option and it ignores loyalty, but things are not a bad as I thought.

Paul
Hi Paul,

It has long been the case that a PDF Issue of S&T has been available from Shop at Sky each month.

See> https://www.shopatsky.com/sky-and-te...-digital-issue

An S&T subscription is only available through Zinio. A subscription is cheaper that buying each issue (USD5.99), but that is still much cheaper than buying it through a Newsagent.

I would rather pay extra for each issue in order to get a PDF version of the mag. I currently have a subscription to the CanonPlus magazine through Zinio, and I hate Zinio as I do not think it is all that user friendly, unlike PDF. I won't be renewing the CanonPlus mag through Zinio.

For those that want a PDF S&T go to https://www.shopatsky.com/ then Magazine>Digital Issues>Sky&Telescope>2010 - 2018.

Note that the 2019 issues are located under 2010 - 2018. And be aware that there is an "Other available formats Magazine". Be careful not to press the Print Magazine button.

Also note that sometimes you have to go to 'print' version and then download "other available format. Digital issue". I have only had to do this once because it didn't show up under digital straight away.

After downloading go to Account>Available Downloads to download issue.

Hope this is of help for those who want PDF versions of S&T. Other mags in the S&T banner are also available for digital downloads.

Cheers Pete

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 23-05-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 18-06-2019, 04:39 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi All,

Only announced yesterday, Sky & Telescope Magazine have been acquired by the American Astronomical Association (who also publish the peer-reviewed Astronomical Journal and Astrophysical Journal, among other publications).

I'd therefore suggest it is in pretty safe, knowledgeable and caring hands.

https://www.foliomag.com/fw-media-an...7yVESGI2go7klk

Best

L.
Old 18-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

Received July issue two weeks ago .
Old 19-06-2019, 12:45 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

For those that didn't get the email: S&T is NOT in trouble, as it has been acquired by the American Astronomical Society, which is great news.
Old 19-06-2019, 04:50 PM
anthony.tony

https://fwmedia-mkt-prod2-m.adobe-ca...-mya-hs-190618 . New owner