Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes

Old 07-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Paramount

3 Years of time lapsing!

Next month, the Herefordshire Astronomical Society is holding a public open day to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. I have been invited to do a couple of talks on astrophotography and time lapse imaging. As part of the time lapse talk I have put together a video of my time lapse clips, animated star trails and holy grail time lapses that I have taken over the last 3 years. I have done a few calculations and the movie which lasts about 21 minutes was shot using over 31,000 images taken over a total period of 11 full 24 hour days which is then condensed into a total of 21 minutes. The time lapses were shot at several locations including
Hereford
Eardisley
Hergest Ridge, Kington
British Camp, Malvern Hills
Grwyn Fawr Reservoir, Brecon Beacons National Park
Nidd Gorge, Harrogate
Brimham Rocks, North Yorkshire
Fewston Reservoir, North Yorkshire
Ribblehead, Yorkshire Dales
Thornwick Bay, Yorkshire Coast

The video can be seen at the link below in HD and 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-aIRT5jTvQ&t=146s
Old 21-06-2019, 05:35 AM
cazza132 (Troy Casswell)

Nice work! I know how long it takes to make a decent time lapse of the stars, but haven't put three years worth together! I liked the bit about a third way through with shadows cast by the moon through the conifers on the paddock. I hope it goes well.
Old 21-06-2019, 07:36 AM
Paramount

Thanks for the comments. Those trees are actually called "Monkey Puzzle Trees" (something to do with the fact that they are impossible to climb as the leaves are like razor sharp spikes so they would confuse monkeys). This is at the top of a hill called Hergest Ridge so it isn't a paddock, it's a wide open space. There are only a few of the trees there and there is some rumour that whoever planted them did so just to see if they could survive and then didn't bother with them after that, they certainly aren't native to the area
Best wishes
Gordon