Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2018, 09:15 AM
silv (Annette)

iOptron CubePro II scope control, MacOS, indilib Stars

This is a success story with a few bumps on the road.

MacOS 10.12 Sierra
Prolific USB-Serial cable adapter connected to CubePro handcontroller 8408
iOptron CubePro II in Az mode, not EQ

Planetarium software tested for telescope control :
Stellarium 0.18.0 - doesn’t work; mount not recognized
CDC Skychart 4.0 - doesn’t work; mount not recognized
kstars - GoTo works. Yay.

Indigo server - shows the mount’s handcontroller firmware version = contact established. It doesn’t appear to be designed as telescope control in of itself. But other indi apps that depend on an Indigo server would probably work with the CubePro II.

The indi driver to be chosen in kstars for Cube Pro II is called “iOptron IEQ45 Pro”.
And it’s called “INDI iEQ” on here https://indilib.org/devices/telescopes/ioptron.html

iOptron email support is curt but prompt. They didn’t mention of their own accord indilib and kstars as an option. But solely pointed me to SkySafari as planetarium software for scope control via cable on a Mac. That was in their first reply to my cry for help before I had even found out about and played around with indilib and kstars.
When I sent another question then regarding EQ and Az driver in kstars, they said that the mount doesn’t care whether the indi driver used is meant for EQ mounts. They say the planetarium software is responsible for setting either Az or EQ. Alrighty. They're the experts so I believe it.

But hey. kstars Goto control works. Haven’t tested other functions, yet. And haven't found a setting where I can say the mount used is Alt-Az. It might exist, though. But clouds rolled in.

2 things to remember about the Prolific adapter at least in my MBP 2011 running Sierra: don’t unplug the cable from your Mac or a restart is required in order to reload the driver and serial ports.
Prolific Driver used: http://www.prolific.com.tw/us/showpr...id=229&pcid=41
I also noticed that if I do a complete shutdown after a cable removal, not only a restart, I have to press and hold the power button for 10 secs, release, and then press again to get the machine restarted.
Not a good sign for the adapter (and the driver), actually. If I find myself continuing to use scope control in Kstars I might get another USB cable or a Wifi extension for the mount. I bought the adapter in 2012 so if these 2 quirks aren’t typical Prolific features in a Mac then it might just be broken.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:23 AM
silv (Annette)

There's not much to be found about iOptron mounts and Macs on the web. Not a thing about a CubePro II and a Mac.
Certainly nothing about Stellarium or CDC not working or how to fix it. And nothing about indilib and kstars.
So I thought I'd be a good thing to document my findings of a day's work.
It was ReformationsTag here, a holiday. Weird thing that we celebrate the Christian church schism which caused the 30 years war and many other skirmishes among "believers" who "shall not kill", is it not?