Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 29-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Seeing conditions tonight in Sydney 4/10

Is anyone trying to image tonight in Sydney ?
The seeing conditions are about a 4/10 in my book , even taking into consideration the light pollution and neighbors outdoor light spill, it’s really bad tonight
It’s been so long since we have had a cloudless night and I was looking forward to capturing something ( even though there’s not many targets available between 8.30pm and midnight )
Must be a lot of moisture in the upper atmosphere or turbulence. It’s even hard to spot 47 Tuc in the finder, usually it sticks out like a 1.5 mag star

Maybe tomorrow night might be the “night”
Weather forecast looks ok at this stage
Old 30-10-2018, 05:55 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Had a peek here in Liverpool. It was a little humid and transparency so so but seeing wasn't too shabby. Where about in Sydney are you?

Tonight is shaping up to be better but the heat of the day might radiate and create its own issues. We're expecting ~30c here. Still will get out and have a go.
Old 30-10-2018, 08:22 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

I had clouds from about 10pm. But at least got to check my camera after rebooting the desiccant. But damn a big ugly dust mote which seems to be on the sensor. Have to clean before trying tonight - which looks good. Might get a few hours before the moon appears
Old 30-10-2018, 02:28 PM
kalon (Kevin)

While not seeing, I am looking forward to getting out to Hargraves Lookout at Blackheath and trying for a decent batch of wide angle astrophotography! Should be there around 7:30/8 ahead of astronomical night at 8:50pm+
Old 30-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Wavytone

Good luck Kevin - but beware its windy - the AWS at Mt Boyce indicates there's a very stiff westerly at 1,000m, which so far shows no sign of waning, so don't expect good seeing.

Nice clear skies here (upper north shore) and will get the scope out for a look.

There's also a good sea breeze blowing along the coast, but that usually drops after sunset.
Old 31-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Wavytone

The raging westerly over the mountains is easing this evening, and it’s nowhere near as hot as I expected this afternoon so we might stand a chance at reasonable seeing. Update: sure enough the cloud spoilers have moved in

Last edited by Wavytone; 31-10-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:14 PM
netwolf

Hot days dont usuallg offer good seeing, the excrption is sometimes after a hot day and a thunder storm has moved through it is good. I usually find seeing after rain is good.