Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
  #61  
Old 29-10-2009, 11:16 PM
gary
Registered User

gary is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mt. Kuring-Gai
Posts: 5,026
Big BAM Theory

Thanks all!

When we were at IISAC at Lostock, I took over from John late on the Saturday
night conducting sky tours on one of the 18" Obsessions.

I noted that John had loaded the file into his Argo Navis, which proved very convenient.
I started to TOUR on USER CATALOG objects that were above the horizon
and thus was presented with one "BAM" object after another. And they were all
good ones with satisfying "oohs" and "aahs" come from each observer who looked
through the eyepiece!

John, when I converted the list to an Argo Navis User Catalog, I thought to
myself I should give each object a prefix and not having read this thread,
chose the prefix of BAM.

I would recommend this name to you for a generic name for the list, rather than
Bambos, for several reasons, including -

a) It's much shorter to type
b) 'Bam' is a word, usually synonymous with "bang", which has exciting
connotations.
c) Many other catalogues have three lettter prefixes, such as NGC, UGC, SAO, etc.

Thanks again everyone and enjoy!

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place, Mount Kuring-Gai
NSW. 2080. Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 30-10-2009, 11:52 AM
qld
Registered User

qld is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sydney australia
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Thanks all!

When we were at IISAC at Lostock, I took over from John late on the Saturday
night conducting sky tours on one of the 18" Obsessions.

I noted that John had loaded the file into his Argo Navis, which proved very convenient.
I started to TOUR on USER CATALOG objects that were above the horizon
and thus was presented with one "BAM" object after another. And they were all
good ones with satisfying "oohs" and "aahs" come from each observer who looked
through the eyepiece!

John, when I converted the list to an Argo Navis User Catalog, I thought to
myself I should give each object a prefix and not having read this thread,
chose the prefix of BAM.

I would recommend this name to you for a generic name for the list, rather than
Bambos, for several reasons, including -

a) It's much shorter to type
b) 'Bam' is a word, usually synonymous with "bang", which has exciting
connotations.
c) Many other catalogues have three lettter prefixes, such as NGC, UGC, SAO, etc.

Thanks again everyone and enjoy!

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place, Mount Kuring-Gai
NSW. 2080. Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au
hello gary i have two of you argo navis ,how do i get hold of this programme,
regards Qld
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 30-10-2009, 12:23 PM
erick's Avatar
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

erick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Shoalhaven Heads
Posts: 8,462
Download the text file for subsequent upload into the User Catalog in your Argo - see post #53 in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 23-12-2009, 07:44 PM
mozzie's Avatar
mozzie (Peter)
Registered User

mozzie is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: moonee beach
Posts: 2,179
some clear nights haven given me the oppurtanity to use it ive been surprised that a few of the objects i havent seen before,looking forward to useing it over the next 12 months anybody who hasnt down loaded it yet should
mozzie
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 PM
mozzie's Avatar
mozzie (Peter)
Registered User

mozzie is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: moonee beach
Posts: 2,179
enjoying this list as there visable at my location moon rising know start chasing d/s taurus at least its clear
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 PM
StarGazing (Alex)
Registered User

StarGazing is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 163
Nice one. Great targets ....... will keep well entertained for quite a while.

Thanks Alex.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:30 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)
Registered User

ausastronomer is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Shoalhaven Heads, NSW
Posts: 2,437
Hi all,

It is good to hear you guys are enjoying observing some of these targets on the list and getting some benefit from it.

I can't say too much at the moment but for those who are working their way through this list, they should record their observations in a log as there may well be some formal recognition for observing the list in the not too distant future Unfortunately, I can't say any more than that at the moment.

Cheers,
John B
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:21 PM
erick's Avatar
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

erick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Shoalhaven Heads
Posts: 8,462
Well the list is nicely embedded in my AN. But I haven't had a scope to connect the AN to....... But soon I should be able to share in the fun!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 PM
mozzie's Avatar
mozzie (Peter)
Registered User

mozzie is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: moonee beach
Posts: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Well the list is nicely embedded in my AN. But I haven't had a scope to connect the AN to....... But soon I should be able to share in the fun!
aahhh erick your going to bring the rain to victoria
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 PM
mozzie's Avatar
mozzie (Peter)
Registered User

mozzie is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: moonee beach
Posts: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Hi all,

It is good to hear you guys are enjoying observing some of these targets on the list and getting some benefit from it.

I can't say too much at the moment but for those who are working their way through this list, they should record their observations in a log as there may well be some formal recognition for observing the list in the not too distant future Unfortunately, I can't say any more than that at the moment.

Cheers,
John B
thanks john for the list, if we were to record our targets what would you write just some points " i dont to look like a dill writing the wrong stuff"
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM
erick's Avatar
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

erick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Shoalhaven Heads
Posts: 8,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzie View Post
aahhh erick your going to bring the rain to victoria
No, secret trick - the scope is being built in Victoria so that should cancel it out! No rain, no clouds!!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Vanda's Avatar
Vanda (Ian)
Registered User

Vanda is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 189
2 questions -

1. What is Argo? (excuse my ignorance)

2. All you Victorians who wish for for more cloud free nights - why not come to Perth? Sure its cloudy in winter and the city lights seem to get brighter every year - but hey - you cant have everything!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 PM
JethroB76's Avatar
JethroB76 (Jeff)
Registered User

JethroB76 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tassie
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanda View Post
2 questions -

1. What is Argo? (excuse my ignorance)
Argo Navis, Ian.
Have ran through a smallish portion of the 600 a week or so ago using the AN, from my new observing site
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 PM
erick's Avatar
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

erick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Shoalhaven Heads
Posts: 8,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanda View Post
2 questions -

1. What is Argo? (excuse my ignorance)
Here you go:-

http://www.wildcard-innovations.com/
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-01-2010, 01:20 PM
mozzie's Avatar
mozzie (Peter)
Registered User

mozzie is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: moonee beach
Posts: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
No, secret trick - the scope is being built in Victoria so that should cancel it out! No rain, no clouds!!
how long till you get your scope
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-01-2010, 02:14 PM
erick's Avatar
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

erick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Shoalhaven Heads
Posts: 8,462
Patience - good things come...etc.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 PM
pgc hunter's Avatar
pgc hunter
Registered User

pgc hunter is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Renmark, SA
Posts: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
No, secret trick - the scope is being built in Victoria so that should cancel it out! No rain, no clouds!!
All clouds and rain in the icy cloudy and rainy tundra of southern Vic will be, as of now, officially your fault
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 PM
ChrisM's Avatar
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

ChrisM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gippsland, VIC
Posts: 710
Thanks John for the BAM 600 list - it's a great piece of work.
I started with some of the December list last night and was pleased to see some new objects: Hind's Crimson star and some other carbons, and some nice doubles.

I need to work out whether there is an easier way of loading some of these into my LX90. (I manually loaded some via the User Object facility last night.)

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-01-2010, 05:52 AM
mozzie's Avatar
mozzie (Peter)
Registered User

mozzie is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: moonee beach
Posts: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Thanks John for the BAM 600 list - it's a great piece of work.
I started with some of the December list last night and was pleased to see some new objects: Hind's Crimson star and some other carbons, and some nice doubles.

I need to work out whether there is an easier way of loading some of these into my LX90. (I manually loaded some via the User Object facility last night.)

Chris
hi chris im doing the list and what ever isnt in the hand controller i manually
hold the mode button down for 2 seconds once in this menu its easy to load each object
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-01-2010, 08:32 AM
ChrisM's Avatar
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

ChrisM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gippsland, VIC
Posts: 710
Thanks Peter, I'll give that a try to see if it's any quicker.
Chris
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 09:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
SkyWatcher 2018 Catalogue
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
SkyWatcher WiFi Adaptor
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Interest Free Finance
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement