#1  
Old 17-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,346
Carina Vista

Having resolved some tracking issues with my mount (...having it actually balanced was the fix ..duh..) I needed some test data as the seeing was not too shabby at all last night, but with a nearly full moon, what do you do

It's Eta Carina season!

Two frame pano...I'm quite pleased with the results....might have to do some more frames. Then maybe some colour....

The link is here
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17-02-2019, 11:57 AM
markas (Mark)
Registered User

markas is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 265
Very clean and sharp image, Peter. It would be nice to see some colour, but I also like the straight Ha image rendition - can't beat it for sharpness!


Mark
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17-02-2019, 12:04 PM
willik (Willik)
Registered User

willik is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 629
Very nice HA Image Peter but I still like the wider field
Martin.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)
Registered User

Stevec35 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canberra
Posts: 3,624
Ho Hum - Eta Carinae again. A seriously good Ha image of it though.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17-02-2019, 12:26 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by willik View Post
Very nice HA Image Peter but I still like the wider field
Martin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas View Post
Very clean and sharp image, Peter. It would be nice to see some colour, but I also like the straight Ha image rendition - can't beat it for sharpness!


Mark
Ta guys...OK I've done Eta maybe once... or perhaps twice before

I'd already got colour data on the left side that was used for this rendition from a couple of years ago.

I rather like the "up close and personal" images....as they reveal so many interesting objects and structures that are only hinted at or lost in wide field renditions...hence the thought of a mega mosaic at 3400mm is gaining some traction with yours truly...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
Ho Hum - Eta Carinae again. A seriously good Ha image of it though.

Steve
Ta Steve....Yep... guilty as charged. I would have had four panes for the mosaic had I simply woken up to the cause of eggy stars in two of them earlier in the evening....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,101
If you're going to image Carina and present it here on IIS, it's going to have to be ...

A) Very good
B) Something different
C) all of the above!

Fortunately, this image has ticked all the boxes above!

The detail is exquisite - the finger of God is sharp & clear, the tonal range is beautifully handled and there's lots of interesting bits for the eye to explore.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
If you're going to image Carina and present it here on IIS, it's going to have to be ...

A) Very good
B) Something different
C) all of the above!

Fortunately, this image has ticked all the boxes above!

The detail is exquisite - the finger of God is sharp & clear, the tonal range is beautifully handled and there's lots of interesting bits for the eye to explore.
Ta Andy....agreed the subject is pretty vanilla....but at high resolution there is indeed much to explore. I’d also observe sub 2 arc second FWHM’s are testy little suckers...even the slightest error will stand out like Dog’s....err...like a dunny in the desert .

Seeing differences also become apparent when you want to merge/mosaic data fields...Much can and does go wrong at this image scale...that said, it’s a challenge that I enjoy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19-02-2019, 09:56 AM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 15,048
A wonderful vista. The sharp detail on the neb is great but the sharpening is a bit too much for my taste on the stars. I suppose when you blend into colour those Ha stars won't matter.

Greg
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19-02-2019, 09:49 PM
alpal's Avatar
alpal
Registered User

alpal is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,755
Hi Peter,
that is as usual - just so sharp it's at another level.
That Alluna Optics RC16 was worth every penny.


cheers
Allan
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20-02-2019, 07:51 AM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A wonderful vista. The sharp detail on the neb is great but the sharpening is a bit too much for my taste on the stars. I suppose when you blend into colour those Ha stars won't matter.

Greg
Ta Greg...the stars do indeed look a little crunchy, mainly due photoshp’s image reduction from the original 7000pixel wide data. I didn’t mind “the look” so kept it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Hi Peter,
that is as usual - just so sharp it's at another level.
That Alluna Optics RC16 was worth every penny.


cheers
Allan
I consider myself to be very lucky to have such a well engineered ‘scope in my observatory, but it would be soooo much better still to have it at a dark site (admittedly with narrow band, no real advantage is to be had).

Perhaps the Zeitgeist in Oz will change and the penny will finally drop that wasteful urban light spill needs to be stopped.....but I’m not holding my breath.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 20-02-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20-02-2019, 01:54 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 17,755
Pretty cool Peter. I was expecting more details at that FL. What's your image scale?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Pretty cool Peter. I was expecting more details at that FL. What's your image scale?
I think it's there, but down sampled for the web very fine stuff is lost ....original data is 0.54 arc sec per pixel....Attached is a 100% res crop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Carinafullcrop.jpg)
56.6 KB48 views
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20-02-2019, 04:06 PM
brucel
Registered User

brucel is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5
Awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20-02-2019, 07:16 PM
alpal's Avatar
alpal
Registered User

alpal is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post

I consider myself to be very lucky to have such a well engineered ‘scope in my observatory, but it would be soooo much better still to have it at a dark site (admittedly with narrow band, no real advantage is to be had).

Perhaps the Zeitgeist in Oz will change and the penny will finally drop that wasteful urban light spill needs to be stopped.....but I’m not holding my breath.

Hi Peter,
A scope like yours really needs to be at Siding Springs
and set up as fully robotic.
As for light pollution it would nice if cities could have all
their lights turned off even for 1 hour
on some clear nights but it won't happen.


cheers
Allan.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 20-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 6,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
".....
As for light pollution it would nice if cities could have all
their lights turned off even for 1 hour
on some clear nights but it won't happen.


cheers
Allan.
Actually, when I was an undergrad at UWA, circa late 1970’s , the city of Perth did indeed turn off many suburban street lights at around 2.00am...I moved to “the eastern states” in 1980....begging the question: do any Sandgropers on IIS know if they still do that environmentally friendly act?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 2,980
Stunning. One never gets tired of a good Eta Carinae, with so many familiar fine details like the HH jets. We love the way you handle the local contrast.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 21-02-2019, 08:25 PM
alpal's Avatar
alpal
Registered User

alpal is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,755
Peter,
Quote:
Actually, when I was an undergrad at UWA, circa late 1970’s , the city of Perth did indeed turn off many suburban street lights at around 2.00am...I moved to “the eastern states” in 1980....begging the question: do any Sandgropers on IIS know if they still do that environmentally friendly act?

I wish they would switch off all of Melbourne's lights one night -
plan it properly so there's no Moon, and a clear night.
For millions of people it would be the first time they saw the beauty of the Milky Way.


cheers
Allan
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22-02-2019, 11:26 PM
Paul Haese's Avatar
Paul Haese
Registered User

Paul Haese is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 9,243
Hmmm sharp but I think I have seen this object imaged by you a few times now. Nice but I think the image you did a few years back with this scope is more than enough and exceptional.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Nitecore
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement