Old 14-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Autoguiding Set Up on HEQ5

Looking into auto guiding later in the year but would to keep using my Synscan hand controller on the HEQ5 for star alignment / polar alignment and locating objects as I'm getting very good results ( may progress to Stellarium scope or similar later on for telescope control and locating objects )

I assume the auto guide camera connects direct to the Laptop and then the Laptop connects direct to the mounts auto guiding port , thus leaving the Synscan hand controller port connected where it is.

Is this cabling configuration correct ?

I was considering using an Orion Deluxe Mini 50mm Guide Scope with helical focuser and the ZWO ASI120MC-S USB3 colour camera.

I assume I could also use the colour camera later on for Planetary and Lunar imaging

Is there any reason to use the mono camera for guiding in lieu of the colour camera ?

I'm not on a strict budget, however I would like a good quality, practical and user friendly auto guiding set up.

I welcome any comments, advice on the above

Thanks in advance
Old 14-05-2018, 09:35 PM
doppler (Rick)

Hi Martin, firstly the guide camera has 2 ports, 1 connects to the laptop to control the guiding pulses and the second one connects directly to the auto guide port on the mount.

The hand set has it's own port and is only for alignment and goto. If you want to bypass the hand set and use a laptop for alignment and goto you need to buy a "eq direct" cable that has a cat5 network cable on one end and usb on the other.

As far a camera's go the mono is more sensitive, but I went for the colour so it could double as a planetary imaging camera, the 120mc's are great for planetary imaging.
Old 15-05-2018, 07:24 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply

I'm a bit confused though, I had previously looked at Dylan O'Donnell's YouTube clip who promotes Celstron gear and he advises don't connect the camera direct to the mount, connect the camera to your laptop ?

Maybe he is already connected and controlling the mount via Ascom and telescope control software ie: Synscan hand controller removed ?

He mentioned also if you connect the camera direct, you will have issues with auto guiding when your mount slews past the meridian etc...

Anyway apologies for the confusion

Help !
Old 15-05-2018, 08:06 AM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post

Maybe he is already connected and controlling the mount via Ascom and telescope control software ie: Synscan hand controller removed ?

He mentioned also if you connect the camera direct, you will have issues with auto guiding when your mount slews past the meridian etc...
Yes, I think he is not using the synscan hand contoller and is using Ascom via a direct cable conection.

I have kept my setup simple still using the handset and camera to mount and haven't had any issues with auto guiding past the meridian. But I did notice last night that my scope didn't do a merdian flip automatically and the tube would have hit the pier if I didn't intervene (it got to about 10mm away whoops)

They do say that the Ascom control is much better for auto guiding and planetarium software better for GOTO functions.
Old 15-05-2018, 08:17 AM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Looking into auto guiding later in the year but would to keep using my Synscan hand controller on the HEQ5 for star alignment / polar alignment and locating objects as I'm getting very good results ( may progress to Stellarium scope or similar later on for telescope control and locating objects )

I assume the auto guide camera connects direct to the Laptop and then the Laptop connects direct to the mounts auto guiding port , thus leaving the Synscan hand controller port connected where it is.

Is this cabling configuration correct ?
Hi Martin,

I think the best way to do it with a Synscan controller is to leave the controller attached to the mount, connect your guide camera to your PC, and then connect your PC to the ST4 port on your hand controller. You probably have a serial/ST4 cable that came with your mount and if you don't have a serial port on your PC you can get a cheap usb/serial adapter (from Officeworks or wherever). You can do all the aligning etc with your hand controller and then with the Synscan hand controller select 'PC Direct' from the utilities menu. From there you can use Stellarium/StellariumScope for goto and Astrotortilla (for example) for plate solving. Your hand controller remains attached and you can use it or your PC at any stage. At least that's how it works on my mount. I'm guessing the HEQ5 software/handcontroller is the same.

Cheers, Kevin

Last edited by kosborn; 15-05-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 15-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info

When I eventually buy the guiding gear, I’ll try your method and see how we go

I enjoy using the Synscan handcontroller as it’s really user friendly and works every time

Quite a few Beginner IIS members have trouble polar aligning, I reckon if their using software assisted polar aligning tools, unplug the laptop, plug in the hand controller and get back to basics. It works for me every time and I have 2 locations ( 220km apart ) where I observe and image from.

Cheers
Old 25-05-2018, 09:12 AM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info

When I eventually buy the guiding gear, I’ll try your method and see how we go

I enjoy using the Synscan handcontroller as it’s really user friendly and works every time

Quite a few Beginner IIS members have trouble polar aligning, I reckon if their using software assisted polar aligning tools, unplug the laptop, plug in the hand controller and get back to basics. It works for me every time and I have 2 locations ( 220km apart ) where I observe and image from.

Cheers
After months of painstakingly trying to get my autoguiding setup to work, I finally figured it out the other night.

No matter how much extension I used with my 50mm guidescope, I could never reach focus with my ZWO ASI120MM-S. I bit the bullet and purchased a Skywatcher 80 x 400 mm guide scope and with a little extension I was able to focus perfectly and guide perfectly! I use a mono guide camera because of the increased sensitivity.

As I use stellarium scope, I don't even bother with the hand controller. I connect my guide camera to my laptop and then from the camera I connect it to my mount directly and it works perfectly. I control stellarium by using a shoestring cable which is definitely worth the purchase!
Old 25-05-2018, 01:23 PM
benklerk

I have just done a belt mod on my HEQ5. I have a 80/400 guide scope ontop of my GSO 6 RC.

After doing lots of testing with trail and error. I have manged to get 20min exp and the stars are still nice and round.

I use EQMOD with the Sky X, SGP. I have just bought a new guide camera as my 120mm has the split frames problem I guide using PHD2.

So im now going to look at mono as I now know I can get upto 20min of guiding.
Old 25-05-2018, 01:37 PM
AstroBogan (Jacob)
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by benklerk View Post
I have just done a belt mod on my HEQ5. I have a 80/400 guide scope ontop of my GSO 6 RC.

After doing lots of testing with trail and error. I have manged to get 20min exp and the stars are still nice and round.

I use EQMOD with the Sky X, SGP. I have just bought a new guide camera as my 120mm has the split frames problem I guide using PHD2.

So im now going to look at mono as I now know I can get upto 20min of guiding.
Did you do the belt mod yourself? seems like the next money sink for me
Old 25-05-2018, 02:14 PM
benklerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmitt94 View Post
Did you do the belt mod yourself? seems like the next money sink for me
Yeah, I bought it from here http://rowanastronomy.com/productsa1.htm.

Took about 2 weeks, to get here. Its a great small investment, I can't believe i could get 20min from it.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:55 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I was in Bintel today buying a few items and got talking to one of the senior sales guys about autoguiding on my HEQ5 mount and mentioned I want to
keep using my Synscan handcontroller for alignment and goto and still autoguide
He advised autoguiding will not work properly if you connect the camera to the PC and the PC to the multipurpose port on the hand controller and leave the hand controller connected to the mount.He has been doing AP for a long time so I guess I took his advice on board.

Is there any other way I can connect the auto guide camera to the PC and still keep my Synscan hand controller for alignment and goto ? Can I connect the Synscan hand controller directly to the PC via a USB 2 to RJ12 shoestring cable and still operate alignment and goto ? ( obviously the PC would have EQMOD installed )

Appreciate any further advice on this somewhat confusing part of AP in relation to cabling configuration and operation for autoguiding

Please note that all previous advice in this post from members was gratefully appreciated
Old 09-06-2018, 08:07 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Hi Martin

Keep the handcontroller for visual work, but for AP you're better off to get EQMOD going. You'll need a dedicated cable, something like:

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/sh...eq5-interface/

Connect the HEQ5 back to a USB hub (to direct to your laptop if close enough) and your guidecam back to Hub or laptop via USB. Then use PHD2 to take care of guiding.

What guiding hardware do you currently have? (camera, scope/OAG)
Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Rob,
I’m not set up yet for autoguiding, going to start in a few months

I’m currently using hand controller for 2 Star alignment , drift alignment for PA via illuminated reticle in the focuser.My scope is a 6” f6 reflector on a HEQ5 mount
Prime focus in scope with a stock canon 600D and $40 remote shutter switch ( very basic primative set up but I’m getting some good images )
Next step is camera control via Backyard EOS then Autoguiding then telescope control via Stellarium scope or similar

Just getting advice on the next level AP systems

Looks like I can’t use the handcontroller for Star alignment / goto / polar alignment and have basic autoguiding at the same time ?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Imme (Jon)

Heq5 with a 200mm f5 newt
Synscan to computer via pc direct....can disconnect to use controller if you like.
Guide camera to computer. Camera on a zwo guidescope.
Control dslr from apt
Apt will do plate solving and image aquisition.

Works perfectly for me with great guiding graphs
Old 09-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Imme,
I just read page 31 in the Synscan manual relating to PC direct mode

So as long as I have EQMOD running on my PC I should be able to use PHD2 for autoguiding and / or Stellarium scope for goto on the mount provided the Synscan Handcontroller is in PC direct mode ( which can be accessed in the Utility function menu ) Alternatively if I just want to use the Synscan hand controller for Star alignment , PA and goto etc..usually when initially setting up the mount , I then just exit PC direct mode.
Is this correct ?

Is your HEQ5 mount and Synscan version recent ?

I read through some others forums where older versions did not work properly?

Thanks in advance !
Old 10-06-2018, 07:09 AM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Hi Imme,
I just read page 31 in the Synscan manual relating to PC direct mode

So as long as I have EQMOD running on my PC I should be able to use PHD2 for autoguiding and / or Stellarium scope for goto on the mount provided the Synscan Handcontroller is in PC direct mode ( which can be accessed in the Utility function menu ) Alternatively if I just want to use the Synscan hand controller for Star alignment , PA and goto etc..usually when initially setting up the mount , I then just exit PC direct mode.
Is this correct ?

Is your HEQ5 mount and Synscan version recent ?

I read through some others forums where older versions did not work properly?

Thanks in advance !
That’s exactly how I run mine.....works flawlessly and no different to when I hook up the neq6 direct to the computer. Easiest way to run it I believe.

I’m not sure of the synscan version I’m running but I’d say the mount is a few years old. I purchased it used 12mth ago.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 AM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

I have a Synguider II which just works off 4 D size cells and...no need for connection to PC. It has one cable to the HEQ5 and that's it. I haven't tried it out in anger yet, but I did do a night time test without camera running and it seemed to work OK. I hooked it on to a 2.5 inch guide scope and it found stars no problem. Only disadvantage was the TINY screen which I had to use a magnifying glass with! Biggest advantage is no need for any PHD software and memory problems when you are running the camera and the guiding all out of one laptop
No software crashes, EQMOD connections etc., completely stand alone
Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM
jimmyh1555 (James)
jimmyh1555

I have a Synguider II which just works off 4 D size cells and...no need for connection to PC. It has one cable to the HEQ5 and that's it. I haven't tried it out in anger yet, but I did do a night time test without camera running and it seemed to work OK. I hooked it on to a 2.5 inch guide scope and it found stars no problem. Only disadvantage was the TINY screen which I had to use a magnifying glass with! Biggest advantage is no need for any PHD software and memory problems when you are running the camera and the guiding all out of one laptop
No software crashes, EQMOD connections etc., completely stand alone