Old 10-05-2019, 07:06 PM
Gavin1234

Backlit glass prints

Hi guys. I want to get a large print done of one of my photos to hang on the wall. What I think would look really good is if I could get it printed onto glass. Then put some led lighting behind the glass and mount it.

For example if I used an image of the Orion Nebula the dark sky would block most of the light from the leds but the nebulosity and the stars being bright/lighter would be a little more transparent letting through a bit of light from leds making them actually light up.

I’m not sure I’ve explained that properly but does anyone know if that can be done or better still anywhere that could do that for me? Even if I get it printed onto glass I could probably do the mounting, leds and framing myself.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:20 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

You want to print on glass/acrylic and mount to a light box in other words. Speak to print places. Printing off-paper/canvas some places print the white with white ink, some dont and some may require an alpha channel. Printing to lighter stock though is fine for the job (ie thin paper) and depending on the type of print the black will block the lightbox either good or bad. You can try at home with your inkjet but use photo paper. I've seen spectacular results with metal prints but no backlighting for those.