Old 22-04-2015, 08:03 PM
pdalek (Patrick)

Perkin Elmer 552

I have 2 Perkin Elmer 552 spectrophotometers which I intended to use in a project for an optical fibre coupled spectrophotometer for astrophysics studies. Due to health reasons, I will not be likely to make much progress.

If anyone would like these, they are available FREE, provided you can collect from Mont Albert North, Victoria.

I posted here rather than in IceTrade Classified to avoid useless replies. At best I can manage very slow 1 finger typing.

These are big and heavy!!. Merlin66 was interested untill he checked by Google search on just how big. I would suggest 2 people to lift into a car.

Anyone with appropriate electronics and optics experience could use these to build a first class spectroscopic instrument.
Old 27-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Have you managed to off load the gear yet Patrick?

I wouldn't mind taking a look at the equipment. I am not that far
Old 29-04-2015, 09:05 AM
algwat (Alan)

So , Is the Idea to take these apart and just use the spectra graph parts in another assembly?

Do you need very good fiber optic cable from eye piece point to input at spectroscope, I would assume it does not sit on or move with the scope.?

I was thinking of trying to make a version of fiber optic spectra graph. Had a few design Ideas that involved expanding and stacking the color bands vertically across the imager chip. Much like the classic APOD of the full spectrum of the sum. One band across RED,Green,blue...or more...

regards, Alan
Old 29-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

These things are BIG!!
I'm sure with some dedication a working spectrograph could be made.
Some spectrographs (particularly the echelle designs) work with fibre optics. Mounting the end of a suitable fibre in a dummy eyepiece is relatively straight forward (See "Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs, p 210) the trick is being able to guide the target star image on a 50 micron fibre end!!
The reflective guide plates I designed for the Spectra-L200 incorporate a couple of pinholes for just this reason. They can, with some thought, be used to construct a reflective guider assembly.
Processing and analysing astronomical spectra is becoming easier and easier as new freeware software becomes available - I recommend and use BASS project.
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/astrobodger/info
Drop me a PM if you need more info.