Old 11-02-2016, 02:02 PM
HarryD (Greg)

More PHD2 problems

Hi to you all
Sorry this is so long, but I think I am having problems with PHD2, 2.6.1
My equipment is an EQ6 Pro mount controlled by EQMOD and ASCOM 6.1. My guide camera is an Atik Titan.
I was often, not always, having problems with the previous version of PHD2. Sometimes it all worked well but I would frequently be told that there was not sufficient movement in DEC when trying to calibrate. This message would sometimes not reappear if I parked the mount, turned off PHD2 and started again.
I have never had any problems moving/controlling the mount with EQMOD, or with the telescope control buttons and/or plate solving in Sequence Generator Pro. The N,S,E and W buttons in both of these programs sends the mount in the same direction. What I mean is if I press N in EQMOD or N in SGP the mount moves in the same direction. Same with S, E and W.
I removed the older version of PHD2 and installed the new one, 2.6.1. Looks slightly different but that’s another matter.
PHD2 finds both the guide camera and the mount. I have set it up using the wizard with the correct focal length, pixel size etc.
If I use the Drift Align tool and get PHD2 to slew to the meridian/equator, from the home position (south pole), no problems, off it goes. However, if I use the Manual Guide tool, the outcomes are not what I would expect.
Using the Manual Guide tool in PHD2 I get:
1.The N, up button, sends the mount S or down. The mount moves, but a message appears which says PulseGuide command to mount has failed – guiding is likely to be ineffective.
2.The S, down button, sends the mount N or up. The mount moves the same distance as went the N button is pressed, but again a message appears which says PulseGuide command to mount has failed – guiding is likely to be ineffective.
3.The mount doesn’t move, and no message appears if the E or W buttons are pressed.
So, why do I get a message saying PulseGuide command to mount has failed – guiding is likely to be ineffective when the mount moves after pressing either N or S?
Why does the mount move in the opposite direction to EQMOD and SGP?
Why doesn’t the mount move after pressing the E and W buttons and why no PulseGuide command to mount has failed – guiding is likely to be ineffective message?
I am a bit reluctant to set up outside and try to calibrate/guide etc with these issues.
Any ideas would be gratefully welcomed.
Greg
Old 11-02-2016, 05:28 PM
kens (Ken)

Sounds like it doesn't know which side of the pier you are on.
Post the PHD2 log file
Old 11-02-2016, 07:36 PM
billdan (Bill)

Hi Greg,

My only suggestion is to try using PHD with the ST4 cable and bypass EQMOD for now. I assume the Atik has an ST4 port and select on board camera in PHD and verify it works to your satisfaction before going back to EQMOD.

You don't mention if you are using a guidescope or an OAG, make sure your calibration step sizes are set to about 2000ms for a guidescope.

Regards

Bill
Old 13-02-2016, 09:09 AM
HarryD (Greg)

Problem solved.
I loosened the RA and DEC worm bindings on my EQ6 which I had carefully adjusted as per Astrobaby after doing the belt mod. There appeared to be some binding even though I couldn't see or hear it. it's not as loose as it was before the belt mod but it's still not as tight as Astrobaby recommends.
I also adjusted the pulse guide mutiplier in QEMOD from 0.1 to 0.7. I then went back into PHD2 and used the calculator to reset things.
Set up last night.
It took 3 minutes, yep, 3 measured minutes to calibrate. Less than half the time it normally takes.
After a polar align using drift align in PHD2 all is well. Guiding beautifully and I haven't even redone PEC yet. Of course clouds rolled in a this stage so I could only take a short image to have a quick look.
I did learn a fair bit going through all this. The main thing I learnt was that each of these EQ6s seem to be a bit different and need to be tuned accordingly. Also don't be afraid to do something different eg loosen the worm binding etc and so how it goes.
Cheers
Greg