Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 15-06-2011, 10:28 AM
DJ N

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the link...... I totally missed it before. Will have a look.

I am very interested in how you go with the TsFlat25. I was having a look at the TsFlat2 on the TS website last night. I too have a moonlite on my ED120, however it is "only" the 2 incher with the DC motor..... got a good deal secondhand!! I have retrofitted the original Black Diamond dual speed on to my ED80.

Cheers,

Daniel
Old 15-06-2011, 10:42 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I just purchased a TSFlat with the spacer and arrived on Monday, it is going to take me a while to get set up due to the weather for testing.
Old 15-06-2011, 11:24 AM
DJ N

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
I just purchased a TSFlat with the spacer and arrived on Monday, it is going to take me a while to get set up due to the weather for testing.
Hi Malcolm,

Good luck with the testing, looking forward to your results! What scope are you going to be imaging with?

Cheers,

Daniel
Old 15-06-2011, 11:51 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ N View Post
Hi Malcolm,

Good luck with the testing, looking forward to your results! What scope are you going to be imaging with?

Cheers,

Daniel
It came with my new scope - http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...arbfehler.html

I was going to get a local one from Telescope Astronomy but was fitted with a Visual Focuser so would have spent a lot more to make it AP ready.

The first photo is the Flattener, 40mm spacer and standard EOS adapter. I had the EOS adapter prior.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1527.JPG)
115.7 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1526.JPG)
157.2 KB49 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1528.jpg)
40.1 KB45 views
Old 15-06-2011, 12:02 PM
DJ N

Very nice!
Old 15-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Yep Malcolm, very nice! And good looking focuser too - if I hadn't already invested in my Equinox80 with the MoonLite et al, I would have gotten this one off them - LINK - very nice 3" focuser and the price ain't too dear either

But anyway I'm still chewing the fat over getting either the Tak or Borg - not sure which at the moment - more leaning towards the Borg otherwise if I get the Tak I might get seriously "bitten" by the TakBug and then have to spend more on changing everything to Tak; apprently it happens to people who start to buy the first Tak and then Bingo!! Endless Money Pit!!

Cheers
Bill
Old 15-06-2011, 05:32 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Make sure you check the focuser on the Borg is a AP or HD focuser. I checked on the Hutech as a low cost option and it came with a visual focuser.

I must admit I too was consider the 3" focuser model as well. It was so hard to decide but the main reason was there are more parts available for a 2" focuser as the 3" are relatively new in the consumer market. Eventually I will be getting a RC or Newtonian anyway and the 80mm will be used as a guide scope.
Old 17-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

Malcolm, if I went the Borg route then it'll only be the "Astrograph" version with the FTouch focuser and all the imaging rear extensions, spacers, FF/FRs etc; that's why I'm still thinking about it as I've got to make sure that the new CCD imager that I have in mind will work with it as well as with the 10"RC that I have now but unused still - just too many toys, not enough time and poor weather to boot!

Cheers
Bill
Old 17-06-2011, 08:23 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionoz View Post
Malcolm, if I went the Borg route then it'll only be the "Astrograph" version with the FTouch focuser and all the imaging rear extensions, spacers, FF/FRs etc; that's why I'm still thinking about it as I've got to make sure that the new CCD imager that I have in mind will work with it as well as with the 10"RC that I have now but unused still - just too many toys, not enough time and poor weather to boot!

Cheers
Bill
Yeah I understand, make sure you check the information clearly, when I was quoted what is considered the Meade 5000 alternative. I was specifically told it had a visual focuser (hidden in the information). Telescope-Astronomy quoted the same field-flattener that I am using at nearly $200.00 more than I received it for with a 3 week delivery ETA. I got the package direct in 3 working days.

I tested my new scope with the field flattener but not on Deepsky. The moon was just too bright along with high humidity washed out nearly all deepsky AP opportunities.

I did take a moon shot though - http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=77031 - It could handle a lot of gear too.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Quote:

I did take a moon shot though - http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=77031 - It could handle a lot of gear too.
Malcolm

Are you saying that T-A's Matthew was selling the EXACT same brand TS stuff or is it the equivalent items for the pricing you stated? I could not make out if that was the case or not!

What can handle a lot of gear? Your mount or is it the rear end of the new OTA?

Yep, I'm pretty on top of what to get if I go the Borg way - their home website - Japanese version has a lot of information - I speak the lingo so no probs in my asking questions first before buying

That TS scope you bought seems pretty sharp or perhaps you oversharpened the DPP - however which way it was doesn't matter because the information got to be in there in the first place otherwise the results will be interpolated data (SISO-like if you know what I mean) - I'm sure you're aware that the moon is not a suitable candidate to test the TSFlat2 - really looking forward to your starfield test results!

Damn the weather!! - I can't get any tests done with mine for the Equinox80 plus the new OAG I ordered for the new CCD camera has arrived too - my plan is to complete the tests before the next Tammin! Chomping at the bit!!

Cheers
Bill
Old 17-06-2011, 11:25 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Malcolm

Are you saying that T-A's Matthew was selling the EXACT same brand TS stuff or is it the equivalent items for the pricing you stated? I could not make out if that was the case or not!
Yep same one. Was a bit disappointed actually
Quote:

What can handle a lot of gear? Your mount or is it the rear end of the new OTA?
Back end of the scope.
Quote:
Yep, I'm pretty on top of what to get if I go the Borg way - their home website - Japanese version has a lot of information - I speak the lingo so no probs in my asking questions first before buying

That TS scope you bought seems pretty sharp or perhaps you oversharpened the DPP - however which way it was doesn't matter because the information got to be in there in the first place otherwise the results will be interpolated data (SISO-like if you know what I mean) - I'm sure you're aware that the moon is not a suitable candidate to test the TSFlat2 - really looking forward to your starfield test results!

Damn the weather!! - I can't get any tests done with mine for the Equinox80 plus the new OAG I ordered for the new CCD camera has arrived too - my plan is to complete the tests before the next Tammin! Chomping at the bit!!

Cheers
Bill
The imaging didn't require much processing, visually I was able to split binary stars which I couldn't do with my DOB. I only had enough time last night for a quick set up for the moon, 2 star alignment, focusing from the back of the camera not a PC. Very rough to start with, need more weather certainty before setting up properly.
Old 20-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Hi Daniel

It's still bad weather in Perth till maybe Sunday nite before I can test the TSFlat2,5 flattener combo for my Equinox80 from the bureau's forecast for Perth! Yikes!

In the meantime have you had any more testing done or are you already pretty done with all the tests and you're sure that you'll have to look at other better options?

Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will clear up soon!

Cheers
Bill

Quote:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the link...... I totally missed it before. Will have a look.

I am very interested in how you go with the TsFlat25. I was having a look at the TsFlat2 on the TS website last night. I too have a moonlite on my ED120, however it is "only" the 2 incher with the DC motor..... got a good deal secondhand!! I have retrofitted the original Black Diamond dual speed on to my ED80.

Cheers,

Daniel
Old 21-06-2011, 10:19 AM
DJ N

Quote:
Hi Daniel

It's still bad weather in Perth till maybe Sunday nite before I can test the TSFlat2,5 flattener combo for my Equinox80 from the bureau's forecast for Perth! Yikes!

In the meantime have you had any more testing done or are you already pretty done with all the tests and you're sure that you'll have to look at other better options?

Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will clear up soon!

Cheers
Bill

Hi Bill,

Definitely not finished testing............ just waiting (and waiting) for some clear skies. At the moment, I am looking to do some more "refined" testing with the ED80, however for the ED120 still considering my options!! But it would be nice to get a couple of clear nights to do some more trials. I suppose this hobby is all about patience

Cheers,

Daniel
Old 22-06-2011, 08:38 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Hi Everyone, Managed a quick trial of the field flattener last night, I don't think it was a good test because there seems to be some tracking and balancing issues. Got very good pinpoint stars on 2 corner but the other 2 where really bad.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=77272
Old 25-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

Quote:
Hi Everyone, Managed a quick trial of the field flattener last night, I don't think it was a good test because there seems to be some tracking and balancing issues. Got very good pinpoint stars on 2 corner but the other 2 where really bad.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=77272

Hi Malcolm

Perhaps there is some focuser or camera tilt?

Do you think maybe it's is better that you post the test pix in the Beginners Section? Frankly I noticed that when newbies (or non-regulars) post in the Deep Space section, most of the time there seems to be lack of feedback from the regulars and experts for some reason or other and hence we learn nothing - but if posted in the Beginners section there seems to be responses at least more than in the Deep Space section - IMO.

I haven't had a chance yet to test anything due to clouds (plus the cold) so I wonder how you managed to arrange with the goddess of the weather to open a crack in the cloud cover for you to be busying imaging - hope to see more test results when you are finished!

Cheers
Bill
Old 25-06-2011, 03:17 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Hi Bill, In my area the clouds have lifted so many times and always at the right time, except for last night. I will be heading to Jarrahdale tonight I believe the clouds will lift about 7 - 8:00pm and be clear for a while although not sure about seeing.

Captured some images couple of night ago, have not posted high rez's as yet but the field was a lot better, still a tiny area not covered but far better than my first attempt. I also tightened the EOS adapter as well. I think I have a lot more to learn about the mount. The other thing is my scope has a 360 rotation and I didn't move it this time round. I will still investigate more though.

I have posted on the beginner forum and never got much responses either so maybe just us WA'ites.
Old 26-06-2011, 04:09 PM
DJ N

I managed another quick test on Friday night with the ED80.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=77442
Old 26-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Quote:
I managed another quick test on Friday night with the ED80.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=77442

Yep Daniel

Seems to be working well for the 80mm OTA - I still have'nt had the chance yet since the TSFlat2.5 arrived to do anything at all because the sky's cloudy every night in my area and since I live in the hills it's also very dewy and wet with the rain for a couple of nights past

Hope that it'll clear coming week since it's also new moon!

Cheers
Bill
Old 27-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Man, oh man!!! No hope for testing the TSFlat2,5/OAG etc for this weekend either - the weather forecast is Rain, Rain Rain .... Rain thru the next week!!

Never mind, thank goodness I took up knitting when a teenager, from my mum so I'm going to go look for those needles now!

Will post here when I've done the tests!

Cheers
Bill
Old 30-06-2011, 10:54 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

With a break in the weather at home I managed another shot. http://www.waelect.com.au/mswhin63/D...26_NGC3372.png

I still have some egg shapes but only a small section on the upper left corner. The other corners seem to be fine.

There is another break in the weather but doing some mods to my mount.