Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-06-2016, 10:34 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Is there an alternate route if the bridge area is impassable?
There is one way in and one way out. And what happens at astrofest stays at .... etc
Old 20-06-2016, 11:33 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I don't mind being stuck at Duckadang. But I'd hate to come all the way from Sydney and find there's no road!
Old 21-06-2016, 12:23 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

With a 4x4 it's easy enough to get in via South East Nanango, it's just unsealed. The same 4x4 would no doubt have little trouble with a bridge out at Linville
Old 21-06-2016, 09:30 AM
killswitch (Edison)

Quote:
I don't mind being stuck at Duckadang. But I'd hate to come all the way from Sydney and find there's no road!
There's always a road with the Hilux.

I've done a fair bit of offroading and water crossings, getting past a bridge should be fun.
Old 21-06-2016, 09:32 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
+1 Post a pick of the bridge when you get a chance so we can see what we're up against. I don't drive a 4x4 up there.
Old 21-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

If I get a chance I'll zip up there in my front-wheel drive runabout and suss it out. I might be towing this year...
Old 21-06-2016, 11:37 AM
killswitch (Edison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
If I get a chance I'll zip up there in my front-wheel drive runabout and suss it out. I might be towing this year...
Towing?... someones gotten some new toys this year
Old 21-06-2016, 12:03 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Sounds like there's no point in collimating anything before we get there then!
Old 21-06-2016, 09:08 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
Towing?... someones gotten some new toys this year
Old 22-06-2016, 08:14 AM
dreamstation (James)

A bit of a late thank-you for all the comments and suggestions re: going to Astrofest without knowing anyone or bringing anything but unfortunately I'm not sure I'm going to make it with busy times at work coming up around the same time. I suppose there's always next year right?
Old 23-06-2016, 02:02 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

During my first visit to Australia last year, I attended Astrofest for a few days and had a great time!

Joe Wheelock
Old 24-06-2016, 05:39 PM
winstar (Wendy)

According to Belinda the camp manager, cattle trucks have had no problem negotiating the bypass round the bridge, and caravans too. They did not get much rain either, unlike Brisbane and surrounding areas.
Old 24-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Nortilus (Josh)

I so miss QLD Astrofest. Been in 2012 and and 2013, but missed the last 2 and will miss this one too...hopefully I when I finish my degree and hopefully move down to SEQ, I will be a regular attendee...I do miss alot of you and the chats we have.
Old 27-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Cp75 (Craig)

Better hope it warms up a bit between now and then
Old 27-06-2016, 11:20 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

nothing a freezer suit won't handle Craig

geoff
Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

So I've booked in for the entire camp, plus the feast.
I'll be bringing along a heap of second hand astro gear to sell, so bring lots of cash. There's dew controllers and straps, catseye collimator, GPUSB, guide scope and rings, ZWO mono, retro camera lenses, Central DS cooled camera plus loads more goodies.
(It all belonged to my friend Paul. All monies go back to his widow and two little daughters, I make no profit on the transactions.)
Old 01-07-2016, 02:35 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Hi J

Is there a list of gear, cos I think I may be interested in the dew straps.

Cheers Petra d.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:28 PM
QLD_Astrofest (Committee)

Hi everyone,

We haven't been too flash with the updates this year as it seems that our lives have become even busier (sound familiar?), so I have a bit of an epic to relate.
1. Major Sponsors.
We are lucky to have four Major Sponsors:
AstroShop http://www.myastroshop.com.au/
Skywatcher http://www.skywatcheraustralia.com.au/
Bintel http://www.bintel.com.au/
AstroDevices http://www.astrodevices.com/

A full list of their contributions to the raffle will be posted in a few days. For those intending to attend the Queensland Astrofest, and are looking for specific equipment, why not contact our Major Sponsors and let them know what you would like to buy at the Vendor Sales so they can make sure they have what you want?

2. Bridge Replacement at Linville
The local council is replacing the bridge just past Linville. There is no problem taking your vehicles, caravans, or trailers through the diversion. Those who remember the diversions when the other bridges were damaged in the 2011 floods will recall that it was not that hard to pass. This project is planned from the start and not built ad hoc like in 2011 so it is better designed.

3. Phone Vouchers
As most are aware there is no mobile phone reception at Camp Duckadang (Pokemon Go players just chill). Telstra in their wisdom are discontinuing the phone vouchers that we use in the public phone at Registration (Rubie House AKA Committee House). If you have vouchers from previous years they will still be able to be used until November. As of a few weeks ago the manager of the camp had a limited supply of vouchers but we can't count on them for the Astrofest. We still will be able to make calls with reverse charge, and we have been informed that third party vouchers MAY work, we have yet to test this. The main alternative is a drive to Moore Cemetary where most carriers can be received.

4. Programme
We are finalising a programme for this years event, and will be posted in full on the website (and here) in the next few days. Apologies for the delay.
A few highlights are:
Jonti Horner during the first weekend with a lecture 'Jupiter - Friend or Foe?', and 'Desert Fireball Network' (an all sky camera has been installed at Camp Duckadang).

Terry Cuttle relating eclipse expeditions to Svalbad and Indonesia, and an update for the one in USA in August 2017.

Pixinsight workshops on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with Rick Stevenson.

Astronomical Sketching Workshop with Alex Massey

The AstroQuiz - Duel between teams from the Astronomical Clubs in South-East Queensland

Counterweight Toss (Yes... its back!)

Vendor Sales, although it seems they will be only occurring on the second weekend.
5. Power at Astrofest
As most people know, there is electrical power at the site. The Astrofest Committee is endeavoring as always to distribute the electricity to power stations in the fields. We in no way can ensure that there will no interruption to power, especially if faulty cables, powerboards, fridges or heaters are connected. We urge everyone to run their critical equipment through UPS or 12 volt. Due to previous problems, we cannot allow fridges heaters and toasters in caravans to be connected to the reticulation. The Astrofest has hired a coldroom, and there is provision for cooking at the rotunda.

6. Daily Catering
If you require meals through the week, please arrange them through the registration page. Any meals other than the AstroFeast will be invoiced by the Lions Camp manager and is separate from the Queensland Astrofest Committee.

7. AstroFeast
The AstroFeast is charged as part of your registration fees if selected, or can be booked at the camp, but be aware deadlines apply. The meal is alternate drop of beef or chicken with a booking deadline of Monday 1st August. Any booking after that date will only receive chicken, with a final deadline on Wednesday 3rd August. We are not able to extend these deadlines so please work out your meal arrangements early.

8. Astrophoto Competition
If you want to enter an image into the Astrophoto competition, please arrange you photo to be sent to the Committee prior to the camp starting. Some registrants will be attending in the early part of the week and if your image is not on view from the start, it may miss votes. The Committee cannot accept digital entries as we will not print them. Last posting date is Friday 22nd July as Australia Post cannot guarantee anything posted later will be received by the Committee prior to commencement of the camp.

Sorry this has been such an epic novel. If you haven't registered please do so now, there is only 18 days until Astrofest is under way!

Queensland Astrofest Committee
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Astroshop_Logo.jpg)
10.6 KB4 views
Click for full-size image (Skywatcher_logo.jpg)
14.5 KB7 views
Click for full-size image (Bintel_logo.jpg)
7.9 KB5 views
Click for full-size image (AstroDevices_logo.jpg)
5.9 KB5 views
Old 10-07-2016, 11:43 PM
QLD_Astrofest (Committee)

Quote:
Sorry for the no response from us. The roadworks are easily traversed by conventional vehicles, towing or not.

Cheers
Queensland Astrofest Committee
Old 11-07-2016, 04:56 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Great!