Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-06-2016, 06:27 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

USB runs in Obs

Hi all, when setting up my piers in the new obs, should I be putting a USB hub on each pier and plugging everything in then running one USB cable back to the PC in the warm room (probably up to 7m cable length for the further pier and 5m for the other one) or should I be running a separate cable to the PC for each device? I would have mounts, cameras, focusers etc attached. I am looking for the most reliable way to go.

Cheers
Brett
Old 26-06-2016, 07:00 AM
glend (Glen)

Recent USB3 issues with the high speed ASI cameras point out that USB management, particularly USB3 run links and driver controller used in the PC is dark arts stuff. I have an mbeat seven port hub mounted on my pier, it has three USB2 ports and four USB3 ports with a USB3 lead to the computer, but i cannot run an ASI1600 camera through it, the camera, because of its frame rate, USB rate, etc has to be run on a dedicated USB3 cable directly to the computer - which has to run the intel USB3 X hub controller internally.
Additionally, any USB3 extension cable has to be an Active powered extension. Oh and it all requires ASCOM 6.2 as well.
If your using an older style CCD camera that might just be USB2 then this may not be an issue for you, but as more cameras come out with USB3 to support high frame rate planetary and so called 'lucky (short sub) imaging and decreased download speeds, then this requires care in set up.
Mounts, filter wheels, focusers, etc are easy as they are slow but your solution design needs to be built based on your camera, and future camera, requirements. It is unlikely that your 8300 camera or the Nikon are going to stress USB at this time but keep this in mind when you upgrade to any USB3 device.