Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Skywatcher Goto Dobs - Levelling

This question has probably been asked years ago, so I’m going to raise the issue again , why don’t Skywatcher Goto dobs have a simple levelling adjuster built into the base ? I’m sure Synta engineers are clever enough to design,manufacture and install a simple but very important device for the telescope
I have a 12” Goto dob and use furniture feet adjusters placed under the base next to the fixed feet ( it works but it’s crude )
Even the manual mentions to level the base for accurate Synscan Goto function
Surely it would only add $100 to the overall price or about 3%
It’s like buying one of their EQ Mounts with no tripod leg adjustment and using a makeshift levelling system like blocks or bricks etc....
These dobs are not light buggers and it shouldn’t be up to end user ( customer) to jury rig a solution for levelling
I’ve asked my supplier and they just say that’s how it comes
Surely some feedback to Synta may stir the pot in their R&D to improve design development
My 2 cents ....

Any thoughts on the above issue........
Comments welcome
Old 14-09-2019, 11:39 AM
glend (Glen)

Seems to me that of you have aligned the Goto Dob properly it doesn't matter if it is preciserly levelled. It certainly doesn't matter for EQ mounts.
Old 14-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Startrek (Martin)

With my 12” Goto dob under Synscan 2 star Az/ Alt alignment , if I don’t level my mount fairly accurately my Goto pointing is less accurate than when levelled. My dob sits on a driveway with a 5deg slope
With both my EQ mounts under EQMOD if I don’t level my mount fairly accurately my Goto pointing is not accurate, even when I sync alignment stars using 3 point + nearest
I can only assume that the algorithms written into the software for both Synscan and EQMOD have a platform requiring a level starting point with a small error tolerance
( some members who are a lot smarter than me may have a more satisfactory or accurate explanation)
With my experiences I have to level all my telescopes to achieve good really Goto and pointing
Cheers
Old 14-09-2019, 12:26 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have found with the EQ mounts it essentially does not matter if you do a good polar alignment, but the Alt-Az mounts I have had (Celestron CPC and the AZEQ6 in Alt-Az mode) it is just as important to level the tripod as to be careful about centering the alignment stars. Most times when I have had issues doing visual with goto inaccuracy, it was down to me being lazy about leveling the head first.
Old 14-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Malcolm

Yes, alt/az must be leveled. I've had to fit leveling feet to all my dobs, even for the one with encoders. It's not hard to fit the feet though. Doubt they'd ever change the design.
Old 14-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Yes Glen,
It is true.
If you do not accurately level the base of the SW GoTo Dob, then goto precision and tracking will not be accurate.
Don't you recall seeing me with the furniture legs adjusting and re adjusting the base?
In relation to your thoughts of moving to a SW DOB, this is a vital component I omitted to mention I guess.

Yes Martin,
It has been brought up before,
And we have just gone on with "Well, that's how it is"
But your point is Well Made!
For such a vital element of gaining accurate GoTO,
You are right to think Well maybe they should have included it in the design.
Well said....
Now... Who is listening?

PS: Argo Navis is far less "level base" dependent, and far more forgiving, not to mention accurate, and Southern Hemisphere based...
Hence my current setup. …. Thanks Gary
Old 14-09-2019, 04:03 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Allan , Paul, Malcolm and Glen for your comments
Allan
Seems quite odd that thousands of these Synta Goto Dobs are sold worldwide each year and thousands of people who buy them keep inventing and fitting their own levelling devices
Then again I suppose as amateur astronomers, in particular astrophotographers, we keep making little gadgets or find new ways to make our hobby easier or to get a better result
It’s definitely a hobby with lots of problems to confront and solutions to be found
Just thought I would throw it out there for comment
Thanks again
Old 15-09-2019, 04:36 PM
rbronca

These work a treat.

https://blythenterprises.com.au/shop...dn-gdr-series/
Old 15-09-2019, 09:51 PM
GeoffreyBarnes (Geoff)

I've been using one of these recently, just sit it on the base and move the Dob about until I find a level spot, works well.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/empire-b...level_p5660623