Old 07-01-2019, 03:51 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Fishing for a guide star

Recently I got back into trying to do long FL imaging and at times it becomes tricky to find a guide star. Given that I always use the same camera orientation and tend to image the same stuff again and again until I get the level of details I'm happy with I often guide on the same star. First I load a sub from a previous session in Nebulosity then put a marker on the brightest star and match that to live focus loop. From there on the odds that I find the exact same guide star in the small fov of the lodestar from the previous session are pretty good. I sort of remember where the guide star offset should be in the lodestar fov, calibrate then guide. That mostly works as I'm not in an obs and mobile so my polar alignment is as good as I care it to be and my goto is not that accurate. Interested in hearing how others deal with it, if they have an easier method?
Old 07-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Marke (Mark)

I have a Lodestar as well and never have an issue with OAG , if I am in a region of faint stars I may bin it 2x2 and always manually select a star . I just go by what ever is available and sometimes refocusing the lodestar helps as well.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:06 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
I have a Lodestar as well and never have an issue with OAG , if I am in a region of faint stars I may bin it 2x2 and always manually select a star . I just go by what ever is available and sometimes refocusing the lodestar helps as well.
What FL? Never thought about binning it. Good idea. Will have to check if PHD 1 can do that.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Marke (Mark)

Thats with the RC10 so 2500mm FL and with the C11 2800fl as well
binning makes it a lot brighter .