Old 21-09-2020, 09:02 PM
PeterM

Monday Sun

Received my new ZWO 174MM from Bintel last week and it had it's first outing today. Fairly poor conditions as cloud moved in and nothing really happening on the Solar disc but there was a reasonable prom and a few smaller ones. What caught me by surprise (and was captured) was an faint object (perhaps a plane?) coming in from one side of the Sun and rapidly brightening as it got just above the limb then fading as it moved towards the other side, all in milliseconds, per attached 4 screen grab.

The prom image was captured at 805am this morning. The disc shortly afterwards. 500 frames captured in Sharp Cap and later stacked in Autostakkert3 with slight waveletting in Registax6. Corono4 was used to black out the Solar disc. I think I am ready now to start using a barlow/extender as well as trying some double stacking.

I would like to thank sincerely Ken (Merlin66) who has been a great mentor in my steep learning curve. He offered and spent quite some time on the phone with me this afternoon giving me a crash course in FireCapture and Autostakkert3. A highly engaging and entertaining gentleman to speak with! Thank you so very much Ken!

Anyways thanks for looking.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (805am September21 2020.jpg)
12.9 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (Disc September21st 2020.jpg)
152.2 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Object.JPG)
38.5 KB28 views
Old 22-09-2020, 10:00 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks for posting the images, though nothing spectacular to image at the moment, the prom image shows more activity than I knew about and it does give you time to get used to the new camera.
There does seem as though there is more activity emerging around the limb in the next few days.
Don't let the conspiracy theorists see your UFO ( aeroplane ) images.
Old 22-09-2020, 11:20 AM
h0ughy (David)

Nice prom. For the record moat planes I caught were dark across the disc and didn't see them after that. So I have no idea what you got?
Old 22-09-2020, 02:04 PM
Martin_S

Ken is a great, bloke . I was lucky enough last year, to have him come visit me at my home and give me a hands on lesson on Solar Imaging . What I learnt in one afternoon would have taken me ages to learn without his advice.

Best of luck with your solar imaging

Martin
Old 22-09-2020, 03:13 PM
PeterM

Thank you indeed Jeff, David, and Martin,

Well I am having a lot of fun with the Sun that is for sure.

With the BOSS team now stuck on 189 Supernova discoveries (he says).. the professional surveys have certainly come into their own (and rightly so) and the 200 goal we set ourselves seems just that bit out of our grasp. So Solar imaging it is and when you see change in real time, well ok 8 minutes I just find that amazing.

David you have me stumped then also on what is in my image, ideas from the floor? And Jeff I may just watch a rerun of the XFiles hehe!

Guys, I have seen some of your images and clearly I have a long way to go but no hurry. "Monday Sun" sounds like a good post here if the skies are clear.

Peter