Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 10-10-2020, 10:27 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

back in the game - with some new (to me) targets

Hi all, just posted a "help me" post so thought I better stump up with a contribution as well.

I've been in an out of astrophotography since the 80's with hypersensitised colour film and my own T-max B&W processing...more recently in the digital age mainly planetary and web-cam stuff, but have been off the boil for years.

Enter COVID and to entertain myself more at home bought a decent mount and started planetary again... just out of interest thought I'd see what my old canon dslr and little zenithstar 66sd could do from heavily light polluted suburbia and was amazed... really how is this magic possible stacking short exposures!!!

a couple months on a it's now an espirit 100d and asi533mc camera and some LP filters.

Have taken "the usual" for this time of year, but noticed a couple of nebula in scorpio I hadn't really imaged before, the Cat's Paw nebula and Lobster Nebula... again amazed I hardly knew these were lurking there not far from lagoon, triffid, omega, eagle etc... and they'r actually quite large and interesting targets.

Anyway here they are for your interest, advice, abuse whatever takes your fancy :-)

Lobster just 2 hours of 300s subs
Cat's Paw 4.5 hours over three nights mis of 180s and 300s subs
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LobsterNeb 2hrs unity -10 533 lenhance.jpg)
178.4 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (cats paw three nights 11x300s 68 x 180s enhance unity -10 2.jpg)
194.6 KB40 views
Old 10-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Welcome back
Your getting back into the hobby at a time where technology is growing at a rapid pace , there’s new products and software popping up all the time
Nothing wrong with a old DSLR , I started AP just over 3 years ago, borrowed my wife’s 10 year old Canon 600D , bought a 6” newt and was hooked
Lovely images by the way
Well done !!
Old 10-10-2020, 01:33 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Welcome back
Your getting back into the hobby at a time where technology is growing at a rapid pace , there’s new products and software popping up all the time
Nothing wrong with a old DSLR , I started AP just over 3 years ago, borrowed my wife’s 10 year old Canon 600D , bought a 6” newt and was hooked
Lovely images by the way
Well done !!
thanks Martin, it's wierd how well the old canon apsc dslrs do, i have a un-modded 600d that I have some nice shots from and a modded 450d bought from a forum member which actually sold me on the benefits of a dedicated astro camera... it's very competitive with my astro camera, but I like the convenience of having a dark library setup for specific times and temperatures.

I see you have the ASI2600MC... I was very tempted by that camera which has the same sensor characteristics as my ASI533 but with a much bigger sensor size. I've ordered another APSC sized camera the ASI071MC pro (fixed problems that were in "cooled" version) in the end, partly as it's cheaper but also wanted a pixel size difference to the 533. Not as sensitive as the 2600, but hope it works out ok.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

added another hour and twenty and reprocessed Lobster

brought this up to 3hr 20 with another nights imaging and reprocessed... not a lot more detail but here it is. Hmmm looking back on original thinking I make have over-done it trying to extract something more here... think I prefer the first one :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LobsterNeb 2nights 40x300s lenhance 533 unity -10.jpg)
182.0 KB22 views
Old 12-10-2020, 01:21 PM
PKay (Peter)

It is better Robert.

More detail and depth coming through.

You can keep adding for ever on this one...

Good work!
Old 12-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
It is better Robert.

More detail and depth coming through.

You can keep adding for ever on this one...

Good work!
thanks for the encouragement peter. that's something else I'm getting used to ... incredible you can add to old pics ...couldn't do that in the film days ;-)

I think I may just have over-processed this a bit. Next time I add some data will try and keep things a little more "subtle"
Old 12-10-2020, 07:01 PM
h0ughy (David)

Awesome results, your touched, sorry not lost your touch . Great stuff
Old 12-10-2020, 07:40 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Both look pretty good to me.
Old 15-10-2020, 06:58 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

thanks Guys, it's getting a bit low in the sky (to my neighbours tree) and with sunset getting later the window is snapping shut to add much more this season.