Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-10-2020, 10:21 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Good Lawler Wanted ....!!

And the Award goes to ....

NOTE: Some these must had the best Lawyers ever. Harvard Yale. Who knows?

Absurdities.

Stella Awards

It's time again for the annual "Stella Awards!" For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after
81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico, where she purchased coffee. You remember, she took the lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving. Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right?

That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdicts in the U.S. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head.

Here are the Stella Awards for 2020:

SEVENTH PLACE
Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

SIXTH PLACE
Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles, California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbour ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbour's hubcaps.

FIFTH PLACE
Terrence Dickson, of Bristol, Pennsylvania, who was leaving a house he had just burglarised by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT days and survive
on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the home owner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish.

FOURTH PLACE
Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next-door neighbour's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.
Pick a new spot to scratch, you're getting a bald spot.

THIRD PLACE
Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilt soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

SECOND PLACE
Kara Walton, of Claymont, Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000....oh, yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure.

FIRST PLACE
This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was: Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of
the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down? $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of
this suit, just in case Mrs Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

That last one has been around for years ...

Col ....
Old 14-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Interesting awards, only goes to prove that the judges and juries are just as stupid as the recipients of the payouts. Considering the lack of gun laws in the USA, how is it that these people haven't been put out of their misery. Not to mention the lawyers involved, if any .
Old 14-10-2020, 12:56 PM
fornax (Phil)
deliberately buried ...

as if it was ever in doubt, this has been debunked
Old 14-10-2020, 02:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yet another example of good folk accepting bogus stories. The pity is few learn that many humans will lie and invent a story and they simply accept the nonsense dished out without question. The funny thing is usually just a small amount of research will find the truth with most matters. I have formed the habit of questioning everything I say that I believe is a fact and now ask myself..why do you believe that? ...and so often one finds you are prepared to state something as fact when you heard it in a casual conversation which provided no evidence. I would like to offer an example but can not think of one at the moment...
I think however if one actually takes the time to deal with even legal decisions with a deep investigation, although a summary may sound odd, that a reading of the evidence and the judgement usually makes good sense...
Folk do like to believe nonsense I find..I recall pointing to Jupiter one night at the pub and telling folk it was a rough planet that had just entered the solar system ...guess what they all accepted that wild lie rather than asking if I was entirely sure about the matter...
Alex
Old 14-10-2020, 03:21 PM
leon

Not surprised at all Col, I won't say another word in case i get banned for life.

Leon
Old 14-10-2020, 03:48 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Lawler?
Old 14-10-2020, 04:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Not surprised at all Col, I won't say another word in case i get banned for life.

Leon
Leon click on the blue "debunked" in the post made by fornax ... Or maybe I misunderstood your post.
Alex
Old 14-10-2020, 04:46 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Think I'll take my foot out of my mouth just long enough to yell at Flash for posting this Stella Awards nonesense, just to prove how gullible I am and accepting that if it is posted on here that it is bonafide.
I shall now crawl away and hide in my cave for a while.
Old 14-10-2020, 05:22 PM
bojan
amateur

I also almost bought it...
Old 14-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fornax View Post
as if it was ever in doubt, this has been debunked
Phew! - thanks, you have restored my faith in common sense, humanity, karma, personal accountability and the justice system.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 14-10-2020, 08:41 PM
PCH (Paul)

If it’s any consolation, the Stella Liebeck bit is true.

She burned herself at the age of 79 and her lawler got her an award of 2.86mils !!!

The court eventually tuned it down somewhat before the payout, but she still came away with $640,000
Old 14-10-2020, 09:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Re Liebeck v Mac Donalds
I am assuming the report at the web site below is a reasonable account .... but if one is to be certain one should read the judgement...however...these sorts of cases are applying the laws know as Torts...Torts predominate feature is that folk owe other folk a duty of care and if someone suffers damage as a result of a failure to exercise that duty of care then the victim can claim damages.

The case appears to turn on the established fact that MacDonalds breached their duty of care by serving coffee unreasonably hot..near boiling which was not common practice for vendors of coffee...anyways here is a link that makes the victim seem less horrid than the various net versions out there.
...https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...stella-liebeck

Alex
Old 14-10-2020, 09:09 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Yet another example of good folk accepting bogus stories. .....
Folk do like to believe nonsense I find..I recall pointing to Jupiter one night at the pub and telling folk it was a rough planet that had just entered the solar system ...guess what they all accepted that wild lie rather than asking if I was entirely sure about the matter...
Alex
Alex, that would have been at the Drake I assume..
Old 14-10-2020, 09:10 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Phew! - thanks, you have restored my faith in common sense, humanity, karma, personal accountability and the justice system.

Cheers

Dennis
Give me a moment and I could change that
Alex
Old 14-10-2020, 11:58 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Think I'll take my foot out of my mouth just long enough to yell at Flash for posting this Stella Awards nonesense, just to prove how gullible I am and accepting that if it is posted on here that it is bonafide.
I shall now crawl away and hide in my cave for a while.
It was meant to be in ' humor ' ,....the absurdity of it all ....!!

Col