Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 28-06-2017, 01:47 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
but I thought the FSQ would be like a pimple on top of the AG12/camera combo.
Actually the FSQ106-Robofocus-MMOAG-Lodestar-CFW57-FLIP16803 is a pretty massive addition to the AG12-SXVH694-SXCFW-Lodestar-SXOAG

Quote:
Just fiddly to get right in all sky areas IMO that's all. In an obs when you have the time to fine tune things then ok.
I'm quite confident I will be able to balance everything, just want to see it all move around the sky ok, that's all, bit of inertial mass in all that

Mike

-

Last edited by strongmanmike; 28-06-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

If things will get too heavy for one mount, the latest Losmandy mount could be a nice match for the FSQ.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:06 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
If things will get too heavy for one mount, the latest Losmandy mount could be a nice match for the FSQ.
Agreed and already considered exactly that...in the end it was dollars not to mention the need then to have another setup outside the dome, inconvenience, dew, setting up, packing up etc or building another observatory. So if it all bolts together and operates as currently planned it will be an excellent rig...IF!

I know the photo of it all mounted up is gunna look pretty impressive! even if it can't move!

Mike
Old 28-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Agreed and already considered exactly that...in the end it was dollars not to mention the need then to have another setup outside the dome, inconvenience, dew, setting up, packing up etc or building another observatory. So if it all bolts together and operates as currently planned it will be an excellent rig...IF!

I know the photo of it all mounted up is gunna look pretty impressive! even if it can't move!

Mike
Since when shifting a few kg became an issue for the strong Mike?

Fair enough with the $$$.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:13 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Since when shifting a few kg become an issue for the strong Mike?

Fair enough with the $$$.
Ha, sheesh I'm over that, but hey yes, I could do it physically but maaaan I did that for years, I don't want to go back to that if I can avoid it...

Mike
Old 28-06-2017, 02:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Ha, sheesh I'm over that, but hey yes, I could do it physically but maaaan I did that for years, I don't want to go back to that if I can avoid it...

Mike
Old Man Sidonio...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (muscle-man.jpg)
20.1 KB34 views
Old 28-06-2017, 03:18 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Old Man Sidonio...
Yup...but I can still lift peoples spirits

That guy in your attached picture is Markus Ruhl and he is not much smaller than that exaggerated doctored image actually...here is an undoctored picture of him.

Anyway...still don't want to be setting up and packing up an imaging rig again

Mike
Old 28-06-2017, 03:32 PM
gregbradley

I think it will push your NJP to the limit but it will cope so long as everything is nicely balanced.

Beautiful looking scope. The FSQ just oozes a quality feel to it.

Greg.
Old 28-06-2017, 03:56 PM
niharika

Nice new setup Mike. Just wondering if the focuser/cca will be on par with FLI PL or not
Old 28-06-2017, 06:09 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I think it will push your NJP to the limit but it will cope so long as everything is nicely balanced.

Beautiful looking scope. The FSQ just oozes a quality feel to it.

Greg.
I think you are right Greg but as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained, if it works well I will be in imaging heaven

Mike
Old 28-06-2017, 06:10 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niharika View Post
Nice new setup Mike. Just wondering if the focuser/cca will be on par with FLI PL or not
Only time will tell I guess...? Quite a few people seem to use the same setup with great success, so here's hoping

Mike
Old 29-06-2017, 07:03 AM
gregbradley

I had no problem with my FSQ EDX3 and Proline although I have read that many have had issues over the years. I think each EDX version has been to correct that so EDX4 should be the best for this.

Greg.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:17 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
I had no problem with my FSQ EDX3 and Proline although I have read that many have had issues over the years. I think each EDX version has been to correct that so EDX4 should be the best for this.

Greg.
Let's hope so Greg

Mike
Old 29-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Welcome to imaging nirvana.

H
Old 30-06-2017, 08:15 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Welcome to imaging nirvana.

H
Hope so H, at least the seeing wont be such a limiting factor and can't wait to see the whopping great field come down for the first time

Mike
Old 30-06-2017, 08:34 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Hope so H, at least the seeing wont be such a limiting factor and can't wait to see the whopping great field come down for the first time

Mike
You'd be surprised. It's been my experience that these refractors are so sharp they are quite difficult to keep in focus for an extended period of time. When you nail the focus you can clearly see variations in seeing over time. Even at 500mm FL. Can't use a reducer on my old Q so I don't know if that still would be an issue at ~300mm. I found mine to be impossible to focus manually with the standard focuser. I had to get a micro-focuser. I'd always overshoot somehow. Then I had to get some kind of temperature compensation and profile the scope over many nights to get a good ratio absolute position vs. temp. Works well but it's not perfect. Beginning of the night when temp drops rapidly it doesn't seem to be linear. Once you're past that around 22:00 when everything settles then it's ok.
Old 30-06-2017, 09:26 AM
gregbradley

Yes you need to refocus every 1C change in temp. Easy now with Sky X temp compensation. I use it on the Honders and it works well.

I think also for an FSQ/Proline combo it would be good to master drizzling to get rounder stars. PixInsight does that and other software is offering that now.

Greg.
Old 30-06-2017, 09:41 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
You'd be surprised. It's been my experience that these refractors are so sharp they are quite difficult to keep in focus for an extended period of time. When you nail the focus you can clearly see variations in seeing over time. Even at 500mm FL. Can't use a reducer on my old Q so I don't know if that still would be an issue at ~300mm. I found mine to be impossible to focus manually with the standard focuser. I had to get a micro-focuser. I'd always overshoot somehow. Then I had to get some kind of temperature compensation and profile the scope over many nights to get a good ratio absolute position vs. temp. Works well but it's not perfect. Beginning of the night when temp drops rapidly it doesn't seem to be linear. Once you're past that around 22:00 when everything settles then it's ok.
Quote:
Yes you need to refocus every 1C change in temp. Easy now with Sky X temp compensation. I use it on the Honders and it works well.

I think also for an FSQ/Proline combo it would be good to master drizzling to get rounder stars. PixInsight does that and other software is offering that now.

Greg.
Cheers Marc and Greg, all things I have been expecting to assess and deal with as needed I am with the scope all the time, so I am not expecting focus checking to be any more annoying than having to turn the dome every 30 - 40 min

Mike
Old 30-06-2017, 11:08 AM
gregbradley

No problem then. I used a Robofocus on my FSQ. You have to ask for the custom bushes that fit the FSQ focuser spindle. It can accept a temp compensation sensor.

At my dark site temps tend to fall for the first few hours then stabilise and then drop very slowly and bottom just before sunrise.

You can focus using the microfocuser but I found with mine at least if you try to lock the focuser it shifted the focus so I would half lock it which didn't shift the focus. This was before I got a Robofocus.

Greg.
Old 30-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I automate my focus runs with FocusMax called by CCDCommander and issue a refocus every 30 minutes (usually at the end of every 30-minute narrowband exposure).

H