Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives

Old 05-10-2017, 01:27 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Question Looking for... generosity: good cause!

I am working with a teenager who lives in a remote area. Super wired for learning and very interested in astronomy as a career. I've donated a 10" telescope that was donated to me but I only had a couple of low mag eyepieces I could add to the offering.

This kid is currently memorising the night sky, (seriously), and I suspect has an impressive future if I can keep the fire going.

Does anyone have a 2" 10mm-ish eyepiece and/or perhaps an el-cheapo Barlow I could add to the kit?

Happy to pay postage and a bit extra.

Rom
Old 05-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Hm, there won't be much available in the 2" 10mm-ish category, outside some very expensive hyper-wide series.

However, I could donate one of the Moonlite 2"-1.25" adapters I've got rolling around in my drawer, if he's interested.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 PM
GUS.K (Ivan)

Hi Rom, I have a Baader MKIII zoom (8 to 24mm) not being used. It zooms through the whole range and is optically perfect, but the click feature which indicates the FL stopped working a couple of months after I purchased it, but apart from that it works fine. If you're interested in this , let me know, I'll pay for postage as well.
Ivan.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:49 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Thanks for the replies,
I have answered several. The generosity has been excellent.

I am really interested in this kid. Not many people of the same age understand what she talks about and its been a bit of a revelation running into someone who is prepared to take an interest in her.

I'll make a Scientist out of her with any luck... and she'll be my third!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Rom, I have only ever had 1 1/2" EP's. But I have a Celestron Plossl 9mm I don't need. Let me know, although it sounds like you probably have more than you asked for all ready.

Trev
Old 07-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

If you want to take it to the next level, visual to astrophotography, I have a full spectrum modified EOS450D that you can have
Old 09-10-2017, 05:23 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Rom,

A lot of generous fellow astronomers.

Is there other stuff or items you think she would need that would help?

Regards,

Mel
Old 09-10-2017, 05:40 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
Hi Rom,

A lot of generous fellow astronomers.

Is there other stuff or items you think she would need that would help?

Regards,

Mel
Hi Mel,
I have been pretty dumbfounded by the generosity, but then again, not really. Its common on this site . I had a couple of long focal length eyepieces for the scope but that's been extended by a considerable degree. At the moment, she has a 10" F4.5 scope with all this extra stuff and the promise of a DSLR to pursue some imaging. About the only other thing I can think of is a decent finder or Telrad but I guess that's not essential at this stage.

At some point, I'll try to organise some kind of on-site activity for her, maybe at a professional observatory like UTas.; I need to keep a degree of professional separation, for obvious reasons, otherwise I'd let her access my soon to be finished obs I am concentrating on developing her observing skills and back ground knowledge about the subject at the moment.

I must admit, I'm enjoying the experience of encouraging her a lot more than I should.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:48 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Rom,

Great Work on encouraging the next generation

I get a lot of enjoyment showing people stuff, but you are taking it to the next level

Sometimes I feel this hobby is getting less and less people interested in it as time goes by.

I have a telrad that I have fixed if you want, still works. I also have brand new celestron finderscope if you are interested as well. I think its the illuminated one.

Regards,

Mel
Old 12-10-2017, 02:31 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

To all those who have responded to my appeal, you have by sincere appreciation. This lass will now be kitted out with a scope and accessories several hundred times what I started with and that is really, really good!

I can't wait to hear her response when it all arrives over the next couple of weeks and will let you know how she goes.

best regards

Rom
Old 21-10-2017, 12:58 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Hi Rom..havent posted for a while.
I have an as new 20mm Superview( 24mm field stop ) , and new Gso Barlow with T adaptor.
Also an as new 32mm Gso plossl
Was going to sell them.
Could you please give me the address etc as would love to help.
Ps thank god there have been no cynical comments.
Cheers bigjoe.
Old 22-10-2017, 11:53 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

pm'd Joe