Old 18-01-2021, 04:00 PM
RyanJones

More art than science

Hi All,

This is my Rosette Nebula taken over a couple of nights earlier this month. I’m still waiting on some parts to finish my imaging train to be able to use my filter where I want it and tune the distance to my new coma corrector. I couldn’t resist doing something though with some clear nights so I tested my new auto focuser and trialed an automated meridian flip. It all worked flawlessly but with my coma corrector incorrectly positioned my stars leave much to be desired. I processed with APP separating Ha and O3 then combined in photoshop. With all the cropping etc I decided to go a different direction with this one. Not the normal subtle natural look that I aim for but a much louder artistic version.

Total integration is about 7.5hrs.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3CB1FA74-4BBA-49D8-83DE-4D1177DD214C.jpg)
201.6 KB69 views
Old 18-01-2021, 04:35 PM
Karlz (Karl)

Hi Ryan,
Nice image, which filters do you use?
Old 18-01-2021, 05:16 PM
PKay (Peter)

Go for it Ryan.

No rules mate...

Love it!
Old 18-01-2021, 05:18 PM
Baobab (Bohdan)

well - call me art lover now really nice!

Can you possibly elaborate on how you split Ha and O3 in APP? I would love to try something like that one day in a (distant) future.
Old 18-01-2021, 06:56 PM
RyanJones

Thank you Karl, Peter and Bohdan.

Karl - I use the STC Duo dual band filter.

Bohdan - In the debeyering settings there’s options to extract Ha and O3 from your lights. There’s guides to do it on YouTube. Then I create a new image in photoshop. I copy my individual stacks ( Ha and O3 ) then paste them onto the RGB layers in the new image. Ha to the red channel then 03 to both the green and blue channels. Then I colour balance the background in the combined image and carry out my normal processing. You can sharpen etc the individual channels before you combine them too to help correct bloating on certain channels etc. Its quite a flexible way to process.
Old 18-01-2021, 10:38 PM
Baobab (Bohdan)

Oh, cheers for that, I have to look into it. It all makes sense - once I'll find that debayering option in APP ...plus working with channels is such a pain in Affinity but no way I am going back to Adobe atrocities
Old 18-01-2021, 10:51 PM
glend (Glen)

Watch out Ryan the PI guys will give you an argument about what they consider approved standard model colourisation. I agree 100% that how you choose to represent your image is entirely up to you..because astrophotography is an art form. Heck no one really knows anyway. But that will drive some people crazy, they will want to normalise you.
Old 19-01-2021, 06:31 AM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Watch out Ryan the PI guys will give you an argument about what they consider approved standard model colourisation. I agree 100% that how you choose to represent your image is entirely up to you..because astrophotography is an art form. Heck no one really knows anyway. But that will drive some people crazy, they will want to normalise you.
Haha. I know what you mean. As I said in my title, this particular piece is very much an artistic expression of Rosette and not what I normally aim for. I have no doubt the discussion about what is right will last as long as the stars. I think the really contentious one is starless images. My take on that is that as long as the gases are represented correctly, that form can also be scientific if the interest being represented is the wavefronts or dispersion of the gases where starless allows you to view that more clearly. I’ve described it before as like taking X-rays of the body where your interest is the bones. The less of everything else you can see the better and I don’t think anyone argues that X-rays are art
Old 19-01-2021, 07:00 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
Thank you Karl, Peter and Bohdan.

Karl - I use the STC Duo dual band filter.

Bohdan - In the debeyering settings there’s options to extract Ha and O3 from your lights. There’s guides to do it on YouTube. Then I create a new image in photoshop. I copy my individual stacks ( Ha and O3 ) then paste them onto the RGB layers in the new image. Ha to the red channel then 03 to both the green and blue channels. Then I colour balance the background in the combined image and carry out my normal processing. You can sharpen etc the individual channels before you combine them too to help correct bloating on certain channels etc. Its quite a flexible way to process.
I really like the image and colours chosen. Ryan I wondered is there a reason you dont use the RGB combined tool in APP after extracting the HA and OIII monos? SHould be a lot easier than doing in photoshop. Of course I'd take the output of that to PS to finish. I've also used Startools to combined the APP extractions as I prefer that tool for most processing.
Old 19-01-2021, 11:59 AM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
I really like the image and colours chosen. Ryan I wondered is there a reason you dont use the RGB combined tool in APP after extracting the HA and OIII monos? SHould be a lot easier than doing in photoshop. Of course I'd take the output of that to PS to finish. I've also used Startools to combined the APP extractions as I prefer that tool for most processing.

Thank you Robert,

The honest answer to your question would be I didn’t even think too. I’ve been using Photoshop for processing the whole time. I’ve tried others but I’ve already got my head around photoshop so I’ve just stuck with it. I didn’t find the combining difficult at all but again that might just be because I’m used to it. Up until recently Ive been stacking in DSS and the only reason I bought APP is for the extraction debayering.