Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2020, 05:50 PM
Powdergnome86 (Gary)

Some help narrowing down scopes

Hey guys,

Just looking for a few suggestions as to potential paths into this astronomy world, so let's crack open a frosty cold can of worms and dive in.

Firstly, I have picked up for myself a second hand Orion 102 Mak Cass (collimation was spot on), with its stock finder and 25mm plossl. After using my Acuter 15*70 binoculars for a few months I decided to pick up the little Mak, which seeing the rings of Saturn for the first time was just amazing. But now I find myself facing a dilemma.

My partner has offered to help fund a telescope for Christmas. (her ideal max level is about $400aud, I pay the rest) Needless to say I quickly developed aperture fever. After much pondering I came to the idea that I want to look for a semi jack of all trades scope. I also know my habits in the I'll will be keen for a month, put it away for 6 months, something like a conjunction will happen and make me keen again, the cycle then repeats.

So... I have come to rest on the following

Saxon/SW 150/750 dual speed focuser on a EQ 5 mount

Saxon/SW 200/1000 d/s focuser on a EQ 5 mount.

My reasoning also stems to if I only have one main scope, these can do both visual and astrophotography, moderate aperture and 2" EP capable. EQ is needed for AP, although the 5 maybe a little to close to limit for 200mm (these on steel tripod so 9kg limit)

I would love a Mak-Newt but that's out of price range for now.

A third option is simply to invest in quality eyepieces to use on the 102 (these also transfer to different scopes anyway, but I would like to be able to get brighter views of DSO's as well.

If you've made it this far, thank you and any input is welcome.

Ramble over... Cheers,

Gary
Old 11-12-2020, 06:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Gary
If you want to use your mount for Astrophotography then the general rule of thumb or recommended Astrophotography payload on the mount should be no more than 65% of its maximum payload
Mounts are usually specified with maximum payloads which is generally for visual observation ( not Astrophotography)
A 150 / 750 newtonian reflector telescope with AP gear is around 9kg
A 200 / 1000 newtonian reflector telescope with all AP gear is around 14kg
An EQ5 mount has a maximum payload of 10kg which equates to a recommended Astrophotography payload of 6.5kg , so it would not be suitable for the above telescopes.
For the 150/750 telescope you would be better off with a HEQ5 mount ( maximum payload of 13.5kg or Astrophotography payload of 9kg )
For the 200 / 1000 telescope you would require an EQ6-R mount ( maximum payload of 22kg or Astrophotography payload of 15kg ) which is what I currently use. If you size your mount for Astrophotography use then no problem for visual use.
In Astrophotography, the choice of mount for your imaging set up is extremely important !!!!
Cheers
Martin
Old 11-12-2020, 06:52 PM
sunslayr (David)

6" Newt is as far as I'd go on a HEQ5. You would also have the option of an ED80 down the line for some widefield views.