Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 23-04-2018, 08:35 PM
JA

1 Second - Alpha Centauri

Hi All,

Last night I decided to try and test some UHC light pollution filters. I had to use blutak to hold them in to the M52 drop in filter holder in the lens. In the end I didn't really like the bluish cast they added, preferring the result without filter and also the extra signal without, together with a bit of enhancement. Maybe the light pollution isn't as bad as I thought it was here ????? Any way forget that for now and do something with your 15mins !!! .....

Well I decided to image Alpha Centauri - bright and high, to see what sort of image I could get with a 1 second exposure. Well it had to be 1 second as I was on a tripod and with a 400mm focal length on full-frame. So here it is in all its UNGUIDED, UNTRACKED, UNFILTERED, NO FLATS, NO DARKS 1 second glory on a Nikon D600 & 400mm f/2.8 wide open, focus not bad and some moon. Roughly a 5 x 3.5 degree field.

There's even some colour !
Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (JA1_9652ed2a.jpg)
200.4 KB57 views

Last edited by JA; 24-04-2018 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Replaced image with less colour muted image
Old 24-04-2018, 05:57 AM
JA

OK that's^ now a little better. The original almost colourless image upload, has now been replaced. This new image shows a little more of the original colour captured, but is still muted by the uploading process. "Fit to screen" for best vista remembering it's a 1 second exposure taken on a tripod - untracked, etc...

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (JA1_9652ed2a.jpg)
200.4 KB41 views

Last edited by JA; 24-04-2018 at 06:22 AM.