Old 26-03-2018, 08:10 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Filters, which ones?

I would like to start looking into filters for my Canon 1200D (for deep sky objects) and possibly my ZWO (planetary). I live in a light polluted area of Melbourne and wondering what kind of filters I should be using.

Also if there are any other recommended filters to help improve my quality of imaging. I have seen filters that clip right into the a DSLR body or just a standard 1.25"/2" filter that can screw on a focal reducer.

A filter for a refractor to battle CA would defs help too!

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by 04Stefan07; 02-04-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:24 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

After some research and working out what I need I think I need the EOS clip in filter for my 1200D and a 1.25" for my Atik and ZWO.

These are the ones I found which look to be the popular ones. I am looking to mod my 1200D so I am guessing I will need the CLS CCD version?

1.25" Baader Semi APO Filter to help with light pollution and chromatic abberation with my refractor
https://www.ozscopes.com.au/baader-s...25-filter.html

EOS Clip in light pollution with my SCT and possibly with my refractor?
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/as...s-ccd-filters/

Or could i get a 2" version and attach it to my focal reducer instead of getting the clip in EOS.

So many options, so confusing!

Last edited by 04Stefan07; 03-04-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:29 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi Stefan

A suggestion, depending on how you currently connect the the parts together, can you use the same 2" for each of the cameras?

Philip
Old 03-04-2018, 07:33 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi Stefan

A suggestion, depending on how you currently connect the the parts together, can you use the same 2" for each of the cameras?

Philip
I am not too sure, I am hoping to get the answer here.

Still doing some Googling. Not sure the best way to attach the 2" if it's even possible.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:36 PM
Prickly

Hi Stefan

Depends a bit as to how much chromatic aberration is present in the refractor. For a fast achromat a Baader contrast booster will help with chromatic aberration and light pollution (better contrast with viewing). A refractor with minimal CA the semi apo would be good and again helps with light pollution (with little perceptible change in colour tone). For visual in dark skies the Baader 495 is hard to beat but no real effect on light pollution here and bright stars look a little yellow.

Another option is the Baader UHCS which is a very good light pollution filter and reduces blue flinging pretty well. If you are mainly using for imaging this may be a good option from the burbs. There are other good LP filters that are very similar - check the transmission curves.

Cheap and cheerful for general viewing a Wratten 11works very well with pretty good transmission and is much overlooked. Not as much transmission as a Wratten 8 but much better blue and red fringing correction. For a smaller refractor the Wratten 8 may have the edge due to better transmission.

Regards
David
Old 03-04-2018, 10:14 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)

Thanks mate.

I might put a few wanted ads up for some filters and keep an eye out in the classifieds.