Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-04-2018, 06:24 PM
tornado33

Seagull Nebula Berts modded EOS 5D

Hi all. With the ongoing dry clear weather I again got out with the 10 inch f5.6 scope, this time going for 15 minute subs x 8 total 2 hours. Modded Canon 5D from Bert with an Astronomik CLS LPR filter and the brilliant Baader Multipurpose Coma Corrector. Was pretty warm so was a bit of thermal noise to deal with. Images calibrated with offsets darks and flats in good old IRIS then finished off in Photoshop. The old Sampson Astro Optical Supplies mount still works well. Though there is periodic errors in the plastic drive wheel I was able to guide them out with hand guiding with the fast and slow buttons, and tweaking the DEC with the manual slow motion control, all this while I watched the footy in a window on the laptop. Win 10 also has this cool feature where its "nightvision" reddens the display to preserve night vision even though the footy becomes monocrome ,black and red hehehe. The off axis guiger means no flexure to deal with just comatic guide stars but the ASI camera's on chip binning means theres usually a good selection of guide stars to choose from.

Full res. version here. http://d1355990.i49.quadrahosting.co...smod5Dproc.jpg
Still some residual thermal noise and the nebula doesnt exactly jump put but was nice to try the now ageing 5D on some faint stuff the 350D couldnt fit as much in. The 5D has a cool funtion to assist focus where i take a short exposure at ISO 3200 and zoom in 10x, if I take subsequent shots I can zoom in 10X then rock the selection wheel on the back and instantly compare star sizes at 10X as I tweak focus for best focus. Sadly canon couldnt be bothered writing win 10x64 compatible drivers for the 5D or 350D
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (seagull8x15minsiso400lpsmod5Dproc.jpg)
193.6 KB28 views