Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 AM
glend (Glen)

Lubricate Roller Bearings or not?

I have a new GSO 12" Dob which has an azimuth base needle roller bearing disk that sits between two aluminium disks. This setup seems to work just fine and there was no lubrication on it when I assembled it. So the question is: does a needle roller bearing like this need any sort of lubrication at all? I was thinking of maybe hitting it with some Dryglide spray is anything. I hate the thought of using grease on it because that's just going to act as glue for dirt in my opinion. What's the go?

BTW I did do a search here before I asked and there doesn't seem to be much on these types of bearings and lubrication.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Wavytone

It will be a dirt magnet. The load on the bearing is insignificant compared to what the rollers can take, so there's nothing wrong with using it dry - it will easily outlast the telescope.

If you're really determined to lubricate it use graphite.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
It will be a dirt magnet. The load on the bearing is insignificant compared to what the rollers can take, so there's nothing wrong with using it dry - it will easily outlast the telescope.

If you're really determined to lubricate it use graphite.
I agree, as there are no load/heat issues with this type of bearing I would not use ANY form of lubrication, as this will accumulate dust and other particles which will score, although minutely, the two metal plates, over time.

I have the same set-up on my 16" Lightbridge and all I do is occasionally (annually) clean the two plates to remove any dust or dirty build-up, which is very little in any case. Just depends on where the scope is stored.

Cheers Peter
Old 10-06-2013, 01:26 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

As the fringe lunatic suggests. Graphite.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Barrykgerdes

no lubricant is required
The roller is open to dust etc. In fact it should be disassembled regularly and washed and dried.

Barry