Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports

Old 16-02-2013, 11:41 AM
okiscopey (Mike)
Rocky Peak Observatory

Visual sighting of 2012 DA14 with 100mm f/6 binoculars

I just managed to see DA14 for about twenty seconds at around 5a.m. EDT as it crossed Eta Carinae using 45 deg. 100mm f/6 'giant binoculars' with 40mm EPs (x15).

Had noted the asteroid's track in SkySafari Pro (v1.7.3, the version that gives DA's correct co-ordinates from the observer's location ... yippee!) and patiently looked for it for 15 minutes from the Southern Pleiades to Eta. That 20 seconds in Eta was the only time I saw it. I looked away for a minute (checking dew on the objectives), but that was fatal ... the asteroid was lost for good!

The two problems were the object's faintness (mag 9.5?) and its slow movement compared with a satellite. It was a matter of concentrating on each tiny asterism in turn to determine which 'star' was moving.

Ten minutes later, the ISS (?) sailed over, and there was a good bright meteor, so all in all it was worth getting up!
Old 16-02-2013, 12:47 PM
big-blue

I was very pleased to have seen it as well, from heavily light polluted inner city Adelaide. I tracked it for about 1/2 hour thru Crater towards Leo till dawn light overwhelmed it. 11x70 binos were needed, on a tripod, to pick the slow progression as Mike said above, slower than a satellite. Hand-held binos were not steady enough to pick the slow progression.

I used JPL website data for Adelaide, selecting 10 min intervals, and plotted the co-ordinates in an atlas to know where/when to look.

I have been looking up for over 30 years and this might even be my 1st asteroid. Cannot remember if i have seen others in the past, but I will remember this one.
Old 16-02-2013, 03:14 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Well done Mike!

Glad you got to see it.

Al.
Old 20-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Well done!