Old 13-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

LMC part II

Here is part 2 of my report on LMC observations.

Again, thanks for having a look.

Telescope 400mm f4.9 tri-dob reflector
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Guiding: Night Sky Observer’s Guide (NSOG), Mati Morel’s Visual Atlas of the Large Magellanic Cloud

9/1/2010

2330. Seeing poor (3/5) after heat of the day so magnification limited to 135x at the start of the session, good transparency 6/7. Both improved throughout the night

NGC 2070 - many more of the small stars around 30 Doradus are visible than the previous night.

Moving to the area around 60 Doradus, I explore other objects with NGC designations that also sound like important dates, but for another generation. The first is

NGC 1910 OC + nebula in LMC 135x This is a fairly loose cluster, seems about 10’x7’. Quite a complex structure. A wide box-shaped knob of haze on the western side with about 8 resolvable stars, darker in the centre than the perimeter occupies about a quarter of the whole complex. Moving east into the main body of the cluster, darkness increases. To the south, there is a broader area of diffuse nebulosity with many fainter resolvable stars. There are quite a few brighter stars throughout the rest of the cluster. To the north is an east-west line of haze, narrower at the eastern end and a wide, flat ending to the west. There is a string of stars along this haze. Very interesting object. At 175x more beautiful complexity is apparent in the whole structure. It reminds me somewhat of a Chinese character. I could also imagine a butterfly shape. This object is visible in my finderscope as a bright patch on the edge of the bar of the LMC near 60 Dorado

NGC 1903 listed as OC by Morel and GC by NSOG. 135x Small round haze with quite bright core surrounded by slightly fainter halo. I have the impression of some resolvable stars in the core. It is <1’ dia. Another small patch of nebulosity between 1903 & 1916 is SL357*, another open cluster.

NGC 1916 is further out from 1910 than is 1903. This is also listed as OC by Morel and GC by NSOG. 135x Another small round area of haze, also very concentrated at the core, appears quite densely packed. Significantly smaller and fainter than NGC 1903. 175x

The field of NGC 1903,1910 & 1916 doesn’t look greatly different with UHC filter. OIII shows some nebulosity in NGC 1910, but all three dim somewhat with both filters and I interpret this to suggest that a lot of the haze in all 3 objects is actually stars.

A line from NGC 1903 through NGC 1916 leads to a clutch of nebulae. At 20’ to the east of NGC 1916 is NGC 1922. This is fainter again than NGC 1916, roughly the same size, but not quite as perfectly round. To the north of NGC 1922 and next to a small rhomboid asterism is NGC1926. Fainter again than NGC 1922 and again <1’ across. NGCs 1922 and 1926 look less concentrated than NGCs 1903 & 1916.

Between NGC 1922 and NGC 1916 and about 1/3 of the way from 1916 to 1922 is a thin band of nebulosity and a trail of stars that resembles a miniature version of Grus. This points to another slightly elongated nebulosity halfway between NGCs 1922 & 1913 about 1’x1/2’. This beautiful small patch of fuzz with some faint resolvable stars resembles a partly edge-on spiral galaxy. Another small patch of nebulosity is visible halfway between NGC 1913 and NGC 1916.

NGC 1872/74/76/77/80 Complex of OCs and nebulae in LMC 175x. This complex lies about 30’ west of NGC 1910. Checking my finderscope, I see that I am now observing right in the middle of the bar of the LMC. In the centre of the field of view is an oval of nebulosity about 5’ long and containing a few bright 1’ wide knots with a few faint resolvable stars. Around this oval is a line of brighter stars and associated nebulosity which forms a strand that heads northeast before curving to the north, then curves back to a bright 1’ knot – NGC 1872. This is listed by Morel as a blue globular or populous cluster. It is quite, bright round and compact with a small resolvable star to the north. A wider plume of nebulosity (NGC 1881) heads off from this curve in the direction of NGC 1910. The whole complex is shaped like a comma, with a bright patch at the bottom of the tail which is NGC 1872. The head is the clutch of other clusters (ie 1874/76/77/80). The photographs in the NSOG are very useful for finding which bit is which. To the east is a more diffuse patch of nebulosity with scattered resolvable stars. To the north are more patches of nebulosity including a bright one, NGC 1870 (GC according to NSOG and OC by Morel). Others include SL 304 and 280.

15’ to the southeast of this complex is SL328, a very nice arc of nebulosity which is picked out by four resolvable stars with the convex side towards NGC 1872 etc. Fainter nebulosity extending the curve beyond the arc is visible on close inspection and is highlighted by OIII filter, completing a disc about 7’ across. This elegant bit of sky is a bit like a tiny Corona Australis.

20’ to the east is NGC 1898. 175x This is similar in shape, size and brightness to NGC 1916. A further 7’ along is SL363, slightly smaller and fainter circle of haze. NGC 1898 is listed by both Morel and NSOG as GC, SL 363 is listed by Morel as GC but it’s not included in NSOG. Further along is NGC 1918, a small 3’x3’ OC and nebula with a small trapezium of bright resolvable stars. The eastern edge is wider and brighter than the western and has many faint resolvable stars. A small strand heads off from one corner to NGC 1921, another <1’ object, not round but elongated roughly east-west (1’x1/2’?) with one resolvable star at the western end. Other stars can be discerned with averted vision.

Moving to the area around Theta Dorada,

NGC 1869 and its sub groups NGC 1871/73 and SL 363. I recognise NGC 1871 by the NSOG’s description of a v-shaped asterism with its point towards the east. The complex itself is about 20’ long and 15’ wide - strewn with stars and the three sub-clusters and with Theta Dorado in the field, it is a very impressive sight.

Hopping via 93 Dorado, NGC 1864 (faint <1’ round haze with elongated core and bright resolvable star at end closest to Theta Dorado), NGC 1905,1895, 92 Dorado, SL496 to

NGC1955 OC + nebula in LMC. 135x This nebula contains an interesting asterism of a concave down arc topped by two smaller counter-arcs like small horns (pointing south). The nebulosity follows this shape and is littered with 12-13 stars. Heading roughly east, there is a larger area of many stars and nebulosity, thinner and straggling. This area is NGC1968 & 1974. There is then a dark gap and then a very bright, small and beautiful clump of stars which is NGC 2004. At 175x, this shows a densely concentrated core with 5-6 bright stars and a halo of fainter stars. (At this point I am shocked by a brief, bright emerald green flash, like a small star, in the middle of this cluster. I assume that this is one of my visual neurones going a bit silly as I have no other explanation). It looks a bit like a miniature NGC 362. The cluster is about 3’ across.

As Hydra, Crater and Corvus rise, I move back to the edge of the bar near 60 Dorado. Halfway between 60 Dorado and Theta Dorado is

Kont 822, complex of clusters and nebulosity in LMC. This is another spectacular object. The complex is roughly a right angle triangle. At the right angle is NGC 1929, a bright small knot. Forming one edge of the triangle are 2 more bright knots – NGC 1935 and 1936. All 3 are further examples of the 1’ disc common in this area, but 1929 has a very bright core. Another faint patch NGC 1934 lies between 1929 and 1935. NGC 1937 forms another corner of the triangle and is a more diffuse, fainter nebulosity with 3 bright stars. Protruding from the edge made by NGC 1929-36 is a narrow plume of nebulosity angled at about 30 degrees from the 1929-36 edge and starting from NGC 1934. There is a spattering of stars along this plume which narrows to a sharp point. IC 128 is a broad sprawling nebula beyond the triangle with a few bright stars. To the north of NGC 1937 is a further area on diffuse nebulosity and fainter stars. Using a UHC filter, the whole complex looks something like a pound sign, with its top oriented towards NGC 1928, about 9’ long and 9’ wide. Very attractive piece of sky.

Returning to NGC 2070 250x – Stunning! Crystal clear cluster of stars around 30 Doradus, to the SW of this cluster is another beautiful clump of stars on the opposite side of a dark lane to 30 Doradus. More stars visible in NGC 2060. NGC 2070 an absorbing labyrinth of folds, graceful curves and dark lanes with many faint stars scattered throughout

Mars 175x Seeing much better than last night. The northern ice cap is quite distinct, as is a dark marking next to the ice cap coming in from the western limb. The rest of the disc is orange, with some hint of dark shapes. As one of my trees moves beneath the planet, the seeing deteriorates dramatically and I retire for the night a very happy and satisfied astronomical chap.

*Shapley and Lindsay catalogue, 1963
Old 14-01-2010, 02:17 PM
orestis

WOWThat is a truelly inspirational report.Great work.I love the long descriptions it just sums it up better.I too notice that the tarantula seems not that good in bad seeing but when theres good seeing it is absolutely amazing.
Do you perhaps have a copy of the chart because i love just scanning the LMC and would love to know what i'm looking at.
What i love about your reports is that there done with a BIG telescope which just shows us with the small scopes what a big scope can do.
Aperture sure does rule.

Thanks for posting Great Read.
Orestis
Old 14-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

Ah Patrick, your reports just get better!!! As Orestis so rightly said: "inspirational". There is just no substitute for aperture and dark skies when it comes to nebulae of any description. Well done ... mmm looks like a clear night coming up ... might just give the LMC a look over. Thanks a lot for a great report in a complex area of the sky that's not easy to sift through.
Old 14-01-2010, 11:09 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Paddy
As it is late (just got back in from a quick session at the eyepiece!) only have had time to scan your report. Loooks interesrting a love the detail. I will print it out and sit down with a chart over the weekend and see what I can see.
Well done again!

Malcolm
Old 15-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks all for your responses. I really appreciate the encouragement both of the responses to my own reports and the inspiration provided by reading others' notes.

Orestis, I will PM you about charts. I well know that feeling of scanning this wonderful galaxy and wanting to know what it is that I'm seeing.
Old 17-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

What I said in the other report well done and thanks for posting.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 AM
fabian

Hola Soy un aficionado y me llamo Fabian Quattrochi y vivo en la Argentina. A 500km de la capital ( Buenos Aires ). Me fascinan las nubes de Magallanes y espero compartir junto a todos ustedes mis observaciones y notas referidas a estas dos maravillosas nubes. Un gran abrazo a todos
Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hola y bienvenidos a Fabian hielo en el espacio. Yo traductor Google para leer su mensaje y hacer mi respuesta, así que espero que esto tiene sentido. Es bueno saber de otro devoto de las Nubes de Magallanes. Espero con interés la lectura de sus informes.

Last edited by Paddy; 11-01-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: complete hash up using google translate