Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2019, 04:40 PM
sandevils67 (WillS)

Satellites and Satellite Viewing

Hello to all at IIS. This my 1st post. And I'd like to discuss satellites. I have been viewing satellites and the sky in general since about 1959. I saw my first satellite in 1959 (I think)... it may have been 1959 / 1960 but moving on, I've been hooked ever since!

Are there satellite watching groups within the IIS audience? I would love to get in touch if so. However, I recently saw the "train" of satellites moving across the sky, thanks to Mr Elon Musk's amazing foray into this field.

But of real importance to me is that I recently saw a satellite (go haywire) in the sky, just on dawn, several months ago. This was an incredible event, even discussed in the media about 2 days later. Did anyone else see it? The satellite emitted a cloud of vapor which was actually visible from the ground.

Over 25 or so minutes it went from a blinking satellite on a normal polar orbit, to one that began to stop / change orbit / lose altitude and go defunct. And to top this off as the sun began to light the sky, I noticed the contrails of a jet approaching Brisbane airport.

I thought I'd take a pic of the contrails and send it to my daughter in Cairns, but on inspection of the pic a few days later, also in the frame was this satellite - out of control obviously and spewing out trails of gas or vapor! These issues have blown me away and I wonder if anyone else saw this? If so, please let me know and tell me what YOU saw! Cheers for now people and IIS!

Last edited by sandevils67; 06-12-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

There is no specific forum section for satellite observing. I think you'll find that "General Chat" works best, with a proper and specific topic title.