Old 03-04-2017, 08:03 AM
glend (Glen)

ZWO ADC does it work?

Who is using the ZWO ADC unit for planetary imaging and is it as good as it seems in some reviews? Given the height being achieved by the brightest planets in our night sky does it produce any noticable improvement, say compared to that achieved below 40 degrees?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:58 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I've got one, and use it when imaging with my 25". Getting it set correctly is a bit of a faff, and in my case involves using a second dbk31 camera and the adc tool in firecapture. The fact that there is a noticeable change in the dispersion effect on screen when setting it up was enough to convince me it was a relatively small amount of money well spent. I have yet to use it on my equatorially mounted scopes though, and I suspect the fiddle factor will make it less appealing as the orientation changes.
Regards
Andrew.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

I have one of the hugely expensive Dutch ones that I bought years ago. Agree with Andrew that they work, but it is a bit of a pain to keep aligned as the night progresses - particularly on an equatorial Newtonian.

It does most for low angle imaging, but down where it works best, seeing is usually so crappy that dispersion is the least of the problems. But on that occasional night of steady air, it can make a significant difference for luminance, but much less if doing RGB.