ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Ice (Ivan)

Celestron CGX ????????

Hi All, just wondering how many of you people have a Celestron CGX mount ?
If so, how is it ? I'm interested in how good the polar alignment feature is and what's the mount like in general, good ,bad, or otherwise.

I have one on my shopping list and want some feedback to make sure my $$$ is well spent

Cheers Ivan...
Old 01-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I would like to know as well please, thanks
Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 AM
tvandoore (Tim)

I have one, and am happy with it.

The polar align feature is a neat trick. I don't use most of the time, as I can see the SCP (and do a polar align with sharpcap). But if you can't see the SCP, or travel to different sites, the feature is very useful.

I had an eq6 and was looking for something that was a more updated design. I did look at the ioptron CEMs as well, ended up with the Cgx. It was a sweet spot for capacity, it had the extra bits I was after (spring loaded works, home switches etc) and didn't cost the earth (just half an earth).

From what I've read, there was some early QC issues with the mount that appear now to be sorted out. Celestron are good with return and repairs (when it was necessary) which made me feel better, in case I got old stock/a lemon. Turns out it wasn't necessary and it works fine.

Happy to answer any other qs.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Ice (Ivan)

CGX Joy

Thanks for your input Tim, I have a lot of happy CGX people now which is great, I'm not far off buying one and cannot wait
I'm also looking at the William Optics GT81 with the dedicated flattener/reducer going to be a mighty step up from the Star Adventurer
Old 10-05-2019, 08:16 PM
appiice (Ed)

Happy User

Hello Ivan

I have had my CGX for just over a year, I didn't use it much for the first 6 months as I was building a 3m domed observatory for it.

When installed it may have had a dodgy RA motor, Bintel replaced it with no questions or problems - it wasn't tracking.

I am using it with CPWI software and am very happy with that as well, would I buy another one or recommend it to a friend? yes on both counts.

It is the first goto mount I have owned and I'm in a fairly remote location so I can't compare the CGX to other mounts, but, my only " I wish it was better " would be the polar alignment adjustments. Celestron could have used a ball screw for both axis's, the DEC axis has some backlash on the screw that means you have to hunt over the sweet spot, the RA uses two screws that move the mount left or right by loosening one and tightening the other. It gets easier but it could be better, I guess there is a price point the have to build to.

In all honesty, I wish I had the money for a Paramount MyT ( I want to be able to track the ISS ) but the minister for war and peace was against it and I am happy with the CGX.

Ed
Old 19-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Ice (Ivan)

Thanks for your feedback Ed, I have a CGX on my shopping list written in ink, so its not if but when I am now researching Short tube refractor's and have narrowed it down to either the William Optics GT81 with dedicated flattener or the Skywatcher 80ED Esprit. The Esprit is looking promising as it comes with the flattener and a really great case. The price is right as well.

Anyway, I'm sure the Minister of War & Peace will come around (Flowers)

Cheers Ivan...