Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 09-05-2019, 12:17 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

ASiair wifi magical thing.

I picked up my ASiar ffrom the Post Office today. Ordered from John at Bintel on Saturday it arrived on Wednesday. A happy post story.
I was so tired after todays events I have only looked at it an hour ago..I needed a nap planned some imaging but too tired unfortunately.
Has anyone set one up on an HEQ5 mount?
My questions are many and I am trying to make a list.
Should I use a fuse or is that a fuze ..its late☺ I am thinking maybe something say 5 amp but could the little power supply include something to prevent too much current?
What is the HDMIsocket for? ..and the little round socket alongside it?

I dont seem to have anything to connect it to the hand box..but the mount lead has a usb..can it go to the unit?
Any one out there who has one set up on a HEQ5 mount who can offer any comments?
I tried to buy a 10 inch tablet which I thought would be handy but its not the 5 g suggested..4. something can I get by with less than 5.
Anyways I think I will try and get some sleep and consolidate my questions when more in touch.
Alex
Old 09-05-2019, 03:40 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

what is it ?????
Old 09-05-2019, 06:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
what is it ?????
I quote from ZWO the manufacturer.
ASIAIR is a smart WiFi device that allows you to control all ASI USB 3.0 cameras, ASI Mini series cameras, and an equatorial mount to do plate solving and imaging with your phone or tablet/iPad when connected to ASIAIR via WiFi.
Alex
Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Here is a link
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-asiair
Alex
Old 09-05-2019, 05:42 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Picked one up as well from Bintel posted to Melbourne, nothing but cloud since............
Old 09-05-2019, 06:23 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

The HDMI socket is literally exactly that, if you plugged a monitor in to it it may well output a desktop, but I am not familiar with the OS they have built for them, and the round socket next to it is an analog audio out.

Inside the box is a Raspberry Pi SoC (System on a Chip) computer. I have a few of them doing various jobs around the house.

The Stellarmate is basically the same thing with a similar sort of OS build to their own spec. I know you can buy the Stellarmate OS image seperately and BYO Pi, but I am not sure why you would bother, I looked at it at once place and I would only save about $10 by buying the OS and home brewing my own box to run it on.

Last edited by The_bluester; 09-05-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:39 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

the hdmi port is used for the programming stuffit is not an output display for the unit,

Have a look at the youtube videos and the asiair facebook page, it is very educational
Old 09-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

here's a definitive answer for you about the hdmi port
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 8.33.57 pm.jpg)
120.1 KB38 views
Old 09-05-2019, 09:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for the wonderful input.
I am going to wait and get the 10 inch tablet..a cheap one from office works ..if they can get one..maybe bait advertizing..mmm they better have one☺ but I dug out a 12volt cable and might add a fuse ..should get a little regulator box to manage the growing little 12 vlt stuff..anyways half the reason it got my interest it seems that it is a problem free usb hub firstly..so I figure the mount cable goes straight in the usb..the cable that came in the box seems uneeded...would be ok for the eq6..but it probably needs an update..
I will get it running by full Moon☺
Alex
Old 09-05-2019, 09:56 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Here's the user manual
https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com...ser_Manual.pdf
Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I might have to join facebook to check things out.
I have been reading the forum questions which is helpful..little things that cause you to pull your hair out asked by a bald guy.
Apparently you need to acceot the call so to speak something easy overlooked and would drive you bats...I had an idea today to basically cover the scooe camera in someso of insulation to keep dew off and maybe keep the temp steady...I have this neat foam backed alfoil stuff...which would even be water resitant..but its silver...a thin layer of black foam on the internal foam could do it..maybe knit it something out of wool...a grovey leather type jacket...the leg of some track suit pants...but I am sick of the moisture and not doing anything..
Alex
Old 09-05-2019, 10:04 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Thanks for that..I got sucked in think the little booklet that came with is it..
Say strongley to have 5g...I feel an unexpected expense coming..
Alex
Old 10-05-2019, 02:41 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So on the phone to find out about this 5 g requirement...you cant buy a 5g tablet it seems..I am getting figures from $200 to a $1000 with the best option seeming a plan from $50 tp $100 a mount which could see the tablet in my hands and another plan..all confusing.
Will a $200 tablet from office works do the job? Any thoughts?
Alex
Old 10-05-2019, 02:58 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Hi Alex, you had me curious about this 5G requirement for a device that is its own wifi network.

It is a dual band, 5GHz & 2.4GHz band wifi... your tablet needs to be capable of handling either or both of these wifi bands.... its an industry standard... chances are if you already own a smart phone or tablet that does wifi it will already be compatible with at least 2.4GHz band.

Nothing to do with 5G or 4G mate

You should be able to turn it on, enable wifi on your phone/tablet/laptop, scan for wifi networks & connect. You may or may not need a password, should be in your manual/documentation

Hope that helps...

Cheers
Old 10-05-2019, 03:07 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
here's a definitive answer for you about the hdmi port
Actually, from the user manual I would say that the HDMI port is not really used for anything as such. I would expect from the manual that it probably outputs video but it will be simple command line stuff not a GUI/Desktop.

By "Debug interfaces" I reckon that you will only see a terminal output, you could probably dig pretty deep into the setup if you have Linus familiarity, but it is probably not very useful to anyone other than a Linux enthusiast. Not sure what they would use the audio out for except perhaps beep codes for diagnostic use.

Last edited by The_bluester; 10-05-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:08 PM
Imme (Jon)

I would also say the 5G refers to the wifi network, not the cellular network.
My modem offers me the choice of connecting to a 2.4G or 5G home network wifi signal.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Hi Alex, you had me curious about this 5G requirement for a device that is its own wifi network.

It is a dual band, 5GHz & 2.4GHz band wifi... your tablet needs to be capable of handling either or both of these wifi bands.... its an industry standard... chances are if you already own a smart phone or tablet that does wifi it will already be compatible with at least 2.4GHz band.

Nothing to do with 5G or 4G mate

You should be able to turn it on, enable wifi on your phone/tablet/laptop, scan for wifi networks & connect. You may or may not need a password, should be in your manual/documentation

Hope that helps...

Cheers
Thanks.
I may just try to see if my simple little phone picks it up..its wifi so I can see why not...I may be overthinking this I will just hang everything together and see what happens when I feel better.
Alex
Old 11-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Is there an ASIAIR app you need to download?

Edit: Short answer is.. yes there is Alex... you will need to download it from either Google or Itunes.. it's free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks.
I may just try to see if my simple little phone picks it up..its wifi so I can see why not...I may be overthinking this I will just hang everything together and see what happens when I feel better.
Alex
Old 16-05-2019, 02:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have the app now.
However I dont see anything about asiair when I switch on the tablet...I was about to buy a samsung A which appears to be suitable but at the shop the demo model did not detect asiair..addmittedly that unit did not have the app but I would have thought the unit shouls show up as an avaiable wifi along with all the others.
There must be aimething I did wrong (unless its a dud but the light is on and it has a suitable 12vlt supply..tried two actually)..
I wonder if I buy the samsung A and instal the app if that would work?
I dont want to buy another tablet only to find it does not work...so what are the chances the samsung A will work with the required app?

Also ..Assuming I get another tablet how do I move my recently purchase sky safari to the new one...or do U just have to but another download?
Alex
Old 16-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Sent ya another PM bud, it's possible the unit is faulty... sounds like you've tried just about everything, I'd be talking to the store you bought it from...

Cheers