Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 21-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 3,507
Ngc 300

Just 5 hours 30 mins of luminance, but the seeing was amazing, at 1.5 sec arc. We've added colour data from way back in 2015.

(The luminance data are so much better than our 2015 data that we just put the old stuff in the round filing cabinet).

The thumbnail is a crop. BIG ONE HERE

This galaxy is so close to us, and so big on the sky, one gets the feeling that one is seeing individual stars in it. Perhaps the things that look like stars (by the tens of thousands) are actually star forming regions - each dot being hundreds of stars - but there seem to be implausibly many of them for that. Apart from a slight difference of opinion over colour (we think it should be warmer, Lee thinks it should be bluer), our image is almost pixel-by-pixel the same as Lee's recent image: we confirm each other's work, and the dots, whatever they be, are not artifact or noise.

There are very many far-distant galaxies in the background, a couple of which have long tidal tails.

Lum: 5h30 in 30 min subs. RGB: 4h per channel in 1 hr subs, 2x2 binned.

FLI PL16803 on 20 inch PlaneWave. All robotics (electronics, firmware, software), acquisition and processing software designed built written in house by us. Like a dog climbing a ladder blindfolded, the miracle is not that it works well, but that it works at all.


Expecting 40 to 75 mm of rain over the next few days, so this will be it for this month.

Best,
Mike and Trish
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 300 Lum 11h30 RGB 4h each Thumb.jpg)
165.4 KB157 views
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 7,139
Not much to say other than: Bravo!

A sublime rendition of a not-so-easy target.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21-10-2020, 12:35 PM
rustigsmed's Avatar
rustigsmed (Russell)
Registered User

rustigsmed is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Posts: 3,401
Simply Beautiful! - great work M&T!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-10-2020, 12:36 PM
Retrograde's Avatar
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Retrograde is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,191
Awesome work M & T!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21-10-2020, 12:47 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)
Registered User

jahnpahwa is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Canberra, AUS
Posts: 420
Really nice, as usual!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-10-2020, 12:58 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,285
He he, enjoyed the post as much as the image

Great looking NGC 300 there guys, well done .

Being so large on the sky, at a mere 6 million light years, its great to be able to peer so deeply into a nearby galaxy like this and yes, the background fuzzies compliment the near/far scene

As far as seeing individual stars in NGC 300, and to some extent NGC 247 et al, goes, I have also often thought, is that real stellar resolution or just "cluster" resolution..?..not sure? I am sure there a some big blue giants visible over 6million light years..?

The colour is of course a debatable thing, I think your product is probably closer to the natural mark but upping the blue does make it rather attractive too

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21-10-2020, 01:27 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,858
Nice one Mike.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Not much to say other than: Bravo!

A sublime rendition of a not-so-easy target.
Thanks very much Peter. We are much encouraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
Simply Beautiful! - great work M&T!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Awesome work M & T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Really nice, as usual!
Russell, Pete, JP, thanks very much indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
He he, enjoyed the post as much as the image

Great looking NGC 300 there guys, well done .

Being so large on the sky, at a mere 6 million light years, its great to be able to peer so deeply into a nearby galaxy like this and yes, the background fuzzies compliment the near/far scene

As far as seeing individual stars in NGC 300, and to some extent NGC 247 et al, goes, I have also often thought, is that real stellar resolution or just "cluster" resolution..?..not sure? I am sure there a some big blue giants visible over 6million light years..?

The colour is of course a debatable thing, I think your product is probably closer to the natural mark but upping the blue does make it rather attractive too

Mike
Thanks for your thoughtful and encouraging comments Mike. We're sure you are right: Just fantasising, if with some particular scope we could capture a bright star at 6 light years in a hundredth of a second, the same star in NGC 300, at 6 million light years, would need an exposure a million squared times longer, or just over 3000 years. Rats!

Colin, you're good at this sort of thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Nice one Mike.
Thanks Marc!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21-10-2020, 06:21 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 16,426
Very nice. One of my favourite galaxies. Its quite photogenic.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22-10-2020, 01:50 AM
Joshua Bunn's Avatar
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)
Registered User

Joshua Bunn is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Albany, Western Australia
Posts: 1,231
That's stunning! not overly processed, and so many background galaxies.


Josh
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22-10-2020, 06:59 AM
marc4darkskies's Avatar
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

marc4darkskies is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Quialigo, NSW
Posts: 2,857
A stunning and beautifully processed rendition M&T!! That's a three thumbs-upper for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22-10-2020, 07:22 AM
Ryderscope's Avatar
Ryderscope (Rodney)
Registered User

Ryderscope is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Glanmire, NSW
Posts: 1,453
A beautiful rendition of this sparkling collection of one very large galaxy and several smaller cousins peppering the scene
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22-10-2020, 09:30 AM
Atmos's Avatar
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Atmos is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,873
Both yours and Lee's version are absolute stop shelf

My first instincts were that you would be able to "resolve" individual stars BUT it did get me thinking about some of the brighter stars in our galaxy could be bright compared to their surrounding. Take Alpha and Beta Ori, they're both about Mag 0 but they have an Absolute Mag of -7.2 & -8.1 respectively which is crazy bright. At a distance of 6 million lightyears it means that some of the luminous supergiants would be around the Mag 18-22 and could show up as individual stars as they're so much brighter than everything around them; they stand out.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22-10-2020, 10:33 AM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,699
Nothing significant to add to the worthy praise noted already.

However, the high res appears to have black rings in the cores of the larger stars? And yes, to echo Mike, a bit more blue would aid the aesthetic impact of this already very strong image.

Great to see you guys back regularly pumping out these great images again!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22-10-2020, 01:32 PM
vlazg's Avatar
vlazg (George)
Registered User

vlazg is offline
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Darwin
Posts: 641
Agree with all, a fantastic image .i am intrigued buy the cluster of galaxies in the top left hand corner, amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22-10-2020, 07:26 PM
codemonkey's Avatar
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

codemonkey is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kilcoy, QLD
Posts: 2,049
That's an awesome NGC 300 guys, congrats! There's a little distorted galaxy at about 1 o'clock that I'm quite fond of... shows up well in yours but it was right on the edge of the frame on mine and I had to crop it out.

Your data looks as clean as mine and you have 9.5hrs here while I had almost 21. I assume you'll be continuing to add to it and combine that Ha data? Looking forward to seeing the final product!

As for the colour, mine's almost certainly... shall we say "optimistic"? Yours is almost certainly more accurate. To be honest I'm not striving for accuracy, I'm not sure how that can be achieved... I don't even trust PCC after seeing how applying deconvolution before using it can impact the results.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Very nice. One of my favourite galaxies. Its quite photogenic.

Greg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
That's stunning! not overly processed, and so many background galaxies.

Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
A stunning and beautifully processed rendition M&T!! That's a three thumbs-upper for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
A beautiful rendition of this sparkling collection of one very large galaxy and several smaller cousins peppering the scene

Greg, Josh, Rodney, Marcus, thanks very much indeed. The "tiny" galaxies give a feel for how huge the universe is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Both yours and Lee's version are absolute stop shelf

My first instincts were that you would be able to "resolve" individual stars BUT it did get me thinking about some of the brighter stars in our galaxy could be bright compared to their surrounding. Take Alpha and Beta Ori, they're both about Mag 0 but they have an Absolute Mag of -7.2 & -8.1 respectively which is crazy bright. At a distance of 6 million lightyears it means that some of the luminous supergiants would be around the Mag 18-22 and could show up as individual stars as they're so much brighter than everything around them; they stand out.
Thanks so much for thinking that through Colin. The conclusion is kinda nice: some rare and very bright stars would indeed be visible at that distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Nothing significant to add to the worthy praise noted already.

However, the high res appears to have black rings in the cores of the larger stars? And yes, to echo Mike, a bit more blue would aid the aesthetic impact of this already very strong image.

Great to see you guys back regularly pumping out these great images again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
Agree with all, a fantastic image .i am intrigued buy the cluster of galaxies in the top left hand corner, amazing.
Andy, George: Thanks muchly guys. Most kind. We really must pay more attention to artifacts though. My biggest struggle, not just being intensely colourblind but being the guy who wrote the software, is getting the colours right. The problem is dealing with stars with burned-out cores, where the colour info is already lost at exposure time. Fiddling with the colour balance can create some bizarre effects. Some times I'm bloody close to throwing it all in, in disgust, and focusing on gardening.

Best,
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22-10-2020, 08:14 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Some times I'm bloody close to throwing it all in, in disgust, and focusing on gardening.
Don't you dare!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22-10-2020, 08:15 PM
strongmanmike's Avatar
strongmanmike (Michael)
Woohoo it's clear

strongmanmike is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 15,285
...but...if you do.....can I have your scope?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Placidus is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Euchareena, NSW
Posts: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
That's an awesome NGC 300 guys, congrats! There's a little distorted galaxy at about 1 o'clock that I'm quite fond of... shows up well in yours but it was right on the edge of the frame on mine and I had to crop it out.

Your data looks as clean as mine and you have 9.5hrs here while I had almost 21. I assume you'll be continuing to add to it and combine that Ha data? Looking forward to seeing the final product!

As for the colour, mine's almost certainly... shall we say "optimistic"? Yours is almost certainly more accurate. To be honest I'm not striving for accuracy, I'm not sure how that can be achieved... I don't even trust PCC after seeing how applying deconvolution before using it can impact the results.
Thanks for the kind words Lee. For open clusters and globulars, I try to find a known G2V star and make it come out white. Mostly (especially for narrowband) I tend to use the "colour agnostic" approach of making the main subject look on average neutral grey, arguing that the human eye and brain are most interested in differences rather than absolutes. Sad that one can't ask a galaxy to hold a standard 18% grey card up to its chest. Even if one did, the side facing us would be black!

Anyways, absolutely love your version of NGC 300.

Best,
Mike
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 06:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement