Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 24-10-2020, 04:59 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Looks like a bought one !! Great job well done !!

Also I like your EQ6-R mount , I have 2 of them ( the old and the new model )
Iím glad they sold you the latest version with the USB2B port connection and not old stock !!
If you want to use EQMOD and Stellarium for Goto ( put the handcontroller in the drawer ) Iím happy to assist to get it up and running for you

Cheers
Martin
Old 25-10-2020, 11:22 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin.
Ironically before I logged on I had just put the hand controller in the drawer by the bed for safe keeping...In time it would be nice to leave it there.
Thanks for your offer of help hopefully it wont be too long before I need your help. Things are becoming more settled for me so I can get set up properly.
Alex
Old 26-10-2020, 03:18 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Looks like it works and is solid.

A tubular coupling nut makes a great azimuth peg and bolts from below. I think mine is M8 . Have to check.

A friend of mine casts metal in polyester casting sand packed around styrene. I should try that for aluminium if my neighbour will fire up his forge.
Old 26-10-2020, 08:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The bolt here is M12..today I purchased the correct bolt and have fitted it..at the moment I am polar aligning the mount via my long exposure star trail method using my nikon...need to find CSP so I can fit the little post that sits between the azimuth knobs...it is pretty well there but I am going for as perfect as it can be and after a cuppa I will take the mount off again drill the hole, tap it and fit the post so hopefully I can go to bed with it all behind me..it's pretty clear here but with the Moon and moisture I am not going to get the mount running..besides my lap top is not with me..if it was I think I would have to photograph something.

So happy that the casting has worked out so well and that the pier is finished...
Alex
Old 08-11-2020, 02:26 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Unbelievable what a little waiting can do... The damn foam that I could not find a suitable glue...well I don't need any glue now for the ceiling foam as I turned it lengthways and by sliding it in from the very ends of the roof I don't need glue...I did find builders filler foam works perfect for glue and I bought three big tubes of it..but only put up 3 pieces that way..but I still have to glue the walls however ...and need about another 20 sheets..but its as good as done really..next trip to town if they have 20 sheets...still its the little things that keep you at it...I cant set up for 240 volt yet so I rounded up all my spare batteries...so after all my talk against 12 volt thats what is going at the moment...I am not going to rush the layout until I have done a photo run...need a separate desk for the microscopes.. yes..now two of them..someone I helped heard I was interested in getting a trinocular and camera and surprised me..doing favoirs for nothing pays rather well I find.

And basically the observatory is all working as at 30 minutes ago...decided to set up the 80mm whilst I align the mount and set up generally...put the diagonal and illuminated reticle in, check and ready for alignment and pec training, pole master needs a plug for the eq6..I will make something out of fibre glass...set up the Nickon on the 80 mm just to run things simple and leave the 115 mm and zwo alone in the other observatory ready to use if the sky clears..plus maybe a wider field around the spider with the 80 mm and Nikon..I want to do a few photos before I commit to permanent stuff.
Needless to say its very cloudy here.
Edit addition...the tapping for the little post went perfect.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20201108_144926_resize_83.jpg)
74.9 KB55 views
Old 08-11-2020, 03:51 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Thatís a really nice set up now , well finished and you have my favourite mount the EQ6-R pro sitting on that rock of a pier you built
Well done !!!
Now Iíve just have to convince you to eventually put the handcontroller back in the box and set you up with EQMOD and Stellarium to navigate across the night sky
Martin
Old 08-11-2020, 05:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex
Thatís a really nice set up now , well finished and you have my favourite mount the EQ6-R pro sitting on that rock of a pier you built
Well done !!!
Now Iíve just have to convince you to eventually put the handcontroller back in the box and set you up with EQMOD and Stellarium to navigate across the night sky
Martin
Thanks Martin...the current set up is just to get things rolling..get perfect PA ..pec training etc. And when I decide on exact furniture and lay out...where the lap top or desk top will sit the hand controller will come back to the bedside table...I am convinced..in fact I did have that all working at one point but my life has been very complex for a couple of years and it's only now that there is light at the end of the tunnel....

I have to get another lap top and another zwo camera...still deciding if one shot colour or another narrow band set up...part of this is to keep me going that's why I keep biting off more than I can chew...been playing with the new microscope and it is excellent ..I am now set up where I can take photos but the little animals are moving too fast...
Hopefully I will get the eight inch set up soon but I think I will have to get a better focuser ..the standard one on the 115 mm would be perfect.

If there is just one little hole in the cloud tonight I am going for it...I would just like to get something as it will feel like it is a finished project.

Alex
Old 09-11-2020, 07:19 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I woke up at 2-30 am to find more sky than cloud so out I went. Did a polar align and set the manual dials and took about 40 minutes of the Spider using the mount unguided and the Nikon at 30 seconds ..May get more tonight..after alignment and pec training..it was fantastic to finally try out the mount ...the new mount is so quiet ..the roof worked perfect and changing the cable anchor points was no big deal...closed up around 5 am very happy indeed...still lots to finish and set up but at least at the moment I have everything functional ...off to town now to see if I can get 20 more sheets of foam and perhaps a genny...and some food.
Alex