Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2020, 01:08 PM
tornado33

47 Tuc and a Cartwheel

Pushing my ancient manual rig hard both in resolution and depth, Ive gone first for the dense glob 47 Tuc, still getting used to how much a full frame camera can fit in even at 1400mm fl. The full res image is here

https://www.astrobin.com/full/sylsa6/0/?real=&mod=

Both faint globs either side fitted in and are resolved. Theres a slight bit of tilt visible in the corners, sadly seeing wasnt the best with the guide star "fast boiling" in the turbulence aloft.

Last night I went for the Cartwheel Galaxy in Sculptor. I nearly gave up as even though the Argo Navis had me on the correct Ra and Dec, I could not see anything on short test subs. I had to take a minute long sub before I could see anything against the light polluted background sky. I sure didnt realize it was so faint.

Once centered I started imaging and kept going till the meridian was reached and the tube was about to hit the mount (Fork mounts are way under rated) A slightly larger full res crop is here

https://www.astrobin.com/qgnkpr/?nc=user

Happy to have pulled that detail out of Bortle 6 skies with some dust aloft seemingly apparent in the bright night sky too

All hand guided with no motorized DEC just the slow motion hand control, polar alingment within 10 arc secs means no DEC drift though slight imperfections in the needle roller RA bearing does require the occasional tweaking if the guide star moves one way or the other in DEC a few pixels

Thanks to Houghy for dropping by last night and keeping some company as I guided away glued to the rig
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (cartwheel10x15minsiso400ra10infincc.jpg)
155.7 KB67 views
Old 12-10-2020, 08:09 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

TWO highly successful images! Getting the two little globulars on 47 Tucanae makes for a lovely story of what's up there.

The Cartwheel has always been on our to-do list, but we've put it off as "too difficult". You've managed magnificently.
Old 15-10-2020, 08:18 AM
tornado33

Thanks. When I took the 47 Tuc pic I didn't even realise I'd fit those 2 globs in. Glad I didn't rotate the camera 90 degrees I've always been fascinated by the Cartweel Galaxy after seeing an image of it at Siding Springs many moons ago.