Old 20-08-2020, 07:55 PM
synthguy2 (Malcolm)

astro-imaging via wifi?

Hi, I'm planning to update my astronomy gear for astro-imaging in 2021. I'm looking at the Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 HD as my main scope, because it has integrated wifi, and I can easily connect to it with my iPad or iPhone, or a Macbook Air, either running Skyportal or Sky Safari Pro 6. I like the idea of minimising cable clutter as a result and definitely want a quick and easy setup.

In terms of astro-imaging I thought I'd look at DSLR (I have a Nikon D3100) to start with, but then look at a CCD imager once I'd become familiar with the scope. So my question is whether there is astronomy software for running on a Mac OS laptop that can control a CCD camera via wifi? If I can control the pointing and slewing of a telescope via wifi, can I also manage astro-imaging? Or, do I need a physical cable connection to the CCD camera from the computer?

The reason I'm asking is that on really cold nights I'd still like to be able to do astro-imaging from inside, using my computer, rather than being outside? So a wifi based astro-imaging software option would be ideal?

thanks,

Malcolm, Canberra.
Old 20-08-2020, 09:53 PM
sunslayr (David)

Lots of folks use mini pcs attached to their telescopes and remote into them over wifi, that way you can use any mount or camera. There are also devices like the AsiAir that do a similar job.
Old 21-08-2020, 07:01 PM
phomer (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy2 View Post
Hi, I'm planning to update my astronomy gear for astro-imaging in 2021. I'm looking at the Celestron Nexstar Evolution 8 HD as my main scope, because it has integrated wifi, and I can easily connect to it with my iPad or iPhone, or a Macbook Air, either running Skyportal or Sky Safari Pro 6. I like the idea of minimising cable clutter as a result and definitely want a quick and easy setup.

In terms of astro-imaging I thought I'd look at DSLR (I have a Nikon D3100) to start with, but then look at a CCD imager once I'd become familiar with the scope. So my question is whether there is astronomy software for running on a Mac OS laptop that can control a CCD camera via wifi? If I can control the pointing and slewing of a telescope via wifi, can I also manage astro-imaging? Or, do I need a physical cable connection to the CCD camera from the computer?

The reason I'm asking is that on really cold nights I'd still like to be able to do astro-imaging from inside, using my computer, rather than being outside? So a wifi based astro-imaging software option would be ideal?

thanks,

Malcolm, Canberra.

Malcolm,

INDI may be able to do what you want.

Paul
Old 21-08-2020, 07:24 PM
synthguy2 (Malcolm)

Looks complex, but luckily I've plenty of time to get on top of this - not looking at doing astro-imaging until mid next year. Thanks - all helpful.
Old 21-08-2020, 07:25 PM
synthguy2 (Malcolm)

Thanks David - I think I'm going to have to do my research and learn what exactly I need and how it works. I want something straightforward to use, but not sure if that's an option.
Old 21-08-2020, 08:41 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Have a look at Stellarmate; similar to ASIAIR, uses a Rasberry Pi computer but, is far less restrictive on what equipment you can use with it.

If you buy the Rasberry Pi board, case, etc.. locally, you can download the Stellarmate software online for a reasonable cost & still come in way under the cost of ASIAIR Pro..

It is 'reasonably straightforward', not simple but, not overly complex either...

Cheers

Carlton
Old 21-08-2020, 10:59 PM
Spartacus

Hi,
Along the lines of what has been said so far. A Raspberry Pi4 running things outside at the scope linking in headless mode to your PC or laptop inside hits the spot on cold nights. Or even warm nights when the mozzies are out here in Qld.

Try looking at Astroberry. You can download a preconfigured image onto an SD card which runs the pi and then you just configure for your wifi and astro gear.
Instructions on line are pretty OK.
Free as well and donate if you find it useful but no obligation.
Runs KStars as planetarium and scheduling, indi for all the drivers and can link with PHD2. All loaded in the image.

I would imagine it would work with your existing gear but do your homework first about compatibilities. The great thing about open source software is that is is constantly updating and very good value.

Mike
Old 22-08-2020, 05:47 AM
Pepper (Steve)

mate be aware the nikon 3100 needs a seperate control for long exposures .