Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 14-11-2020, 08:38 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Sync operation in Stallerium

Hi, I am just after a bit of information in regards to the Sync operation in Stallerium.
Or i guess what i am really trying to do is a 4 or 6 star alignment, Basically the same as what you do using the hand held unit to do a 2 or 3 star alignment

I have yet to try it out as work commitments mean i can only really get out to try these things every 3rd week which is a pain.

Basically looking for the sync options when first starting out to align with stars so the scope knows where it is pointing at.

Not using the hand held controller, Have to laptop plugged into the USB on the mount.
Using EQMOD, Stallerium

So first step is get the mount polar aligned
The next step is to tell the scope where it is pointing at ( star alignment )

This is the step i am referring to.
So in Stallerium, i have read two different operations for the same function, The sync operation i think it is called, ( find a star, center it, and sync the scope to it )
So the two operations i have read are:
Ctrl 3 and the other is Ctrl Shift 1
Just looking to find out which one it is.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 14-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,
I have procedures for all 3 methods of connection with EQMOD and Stellarium including sync commands, Goto everything

What model mount do you have and is it new ?

How is your mount connected ?
1/ From laptop to mount with EQ Direct cable to RJ45 handcontroller port on mount
2/ From laptop to mount with USB2A to USB2B cable to USB2B port on mount

Martin
Old 14-11-2020, 12:47 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks for the reply,
I have the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount. ( the newer model with the USB port on the mount)
I have option 2.
From laptop to mount with USB2A to USB2B cable to USB2B port on mount

Was mainly interested in the Sync commands,
So like when you have the hand controller, you do either a 2 or 3 star alignment.
As i have the hand controller removed and operating now just via the laptop,
I was looking to find what the commands that we now use in Stalleriuim to do say a 3 or 4 star alignment.
I am guessing they are called sync commands.
So slew to say 4 different stars and align them so that the mount knows where about in the sky it is pointing.

Hope that all makes sense.
Old 14-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,

I will give you the whole document so you can go through step by step from set up to drivers and operational procedures, that way nothing is overlooked

I spent 2 weeks bench testing and 2 nights live testing the latest version of Stellarium 0.20.3 with EQMOD together with the latest version of Ascom 6.5 to ensure everything worked without fail

The only thing I found during night testing which I don't think is documented in my procedures is when you centre a Star and you want to Sync it as an alignment point , you have to minimise the EQMOD control panel to the tool bar , then press Cntrl, hold it then press Shift, hold it then press 1 ( don't press them all together , press them one behind the other 1 sec apart in that order) then the Sync function works perfectly and an alignment point is registered in the EQMOD (extended window ) point count box. You can then bring the EQMOD control panel back on the screen again and continue to slew and goto etc.....

Attached is the procedure for the latest Ascom controlled Stellarium and EQMOD telescope control using USB2 cable connection

The procedure also mentions I used Stellariium 0.20.1 but it should have read 0.20.3

Hope this helps

Any issues just reply back

Martin
Old 14-11-2020, 04:22 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks heaps, worked a treat.
Something happened the first time round though.
Been working fine the first time round when playing around with the Ctrl and 1 button to slew the mount to a point in Stallerium.
I thought i would give those control in Stallerium a go, ( the ones under the telescope icon )
They messed everything up for some reason, as in you click on a star then click on the slew icon.
The mount just went off in a completely different position and after that the Ctrl and 1 function would not work at all.
Shut it all down and tried again, still nothing with the Ctrl and 1 function.

In the end i had to uninstall Stallerium, re install it again and now all works fine again.
I think i will just stay away from those functions in the telescope icon at the bottom at the page in Stallerium.

So all up, it all works fine now and the sysnc points show up as they should, i did 4 and 4 point showed up in the EQMOD box.

I did find that after slewing to the star, i had to click on it again and then do the Ctrl, shift,1
You might of mentioned that and i possibly skipped over it.
The only thing i changed in the telescope setup page was to enable the scope to start/connect at startup

Now just got to put it all into practice when we get some clear nights.

Very much appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 14-11-2020, 04:49 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Peter,

That's great news well done !!

Also tests out my procedure with someone else which is pleasing

My aim was to make the procedure simple but prescriptive so both beginner and more experienced folk can get their head around it

Clear Skies
Martin