Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 24-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Neil

Back yard Observatory Extra's

G'day, I'm fortunate enough to have an observatory with a bit of room( 6m x3m shed with a 2.9m dome on top) I'm interested to know what extra's you may have in your Observatory? I've got a 127cm plasma TV which I'm able to display what I'm seeing via a G-Star-X video camera, this is great when you have a few visitors. Also I have a turntable which I play records on.......you know, they're made of vinyl with a hole in the middle and sound great, this is connected to a 5.1 surround sound system, sounds really great, as you can appreciate this is a relatively small area. So what do you have in your Man/Woman cave, clear skies.
Old 24-10-2014, 09:13 PM
TraKtorman (Peter)
Peter

Extras

I have installed Yamaha HS5 near field monitors http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...hs_series/hs5/ , a Dragonfly usb DAC http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digita.../dragonfly-dac and a DBX driverack PA http://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/driverack-pa to smooth out the sound. I run Jriver MC20 http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...&topic=92737.0 through a wireless link to the house. In general I don't listen much while "working"/ imaging, but other times its quite nice. Happy snap attached (without the DBX).
cheers
peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Obs Sound.jpg)
44.6 KB163 views
Old 27-10-2014, 10:22 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
G'day, I'm fortunate enough to have an observatory with a bit of room( 6m x3m shed with a 2.9m dome on top) I'm interested to know what extra's you may have in your Observatory? I've got a 127cm plasma TV which I'm able to display what I'm seeing via a G-Star-X video camera, this is great when you have a few visitors. Also I have a turntable which I play records on.......you know, they're made of vinyl with a hole in the middle and sound great, this is connected to a 5.1 surround sound system, sounds really great, as you can appreciate this is a relatively small area. So what do you have in your Man/Woman cave, clear skies.
Sounds awesom Neil, I was wanting to do this sort of arangement but with a 2.3m Sirus dome, do you have any photos of your setup? love to see'em

MIke
Old 27-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Neil

Yes I also have a 2.3meter dome( not 2.9 as I previously posted) Will post some pictures soon, once I work out how.
Old 29-10-2014, 08:21 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Yes I also have a 2.3meter dome( not 2.9 as I previously posted) Will post some pictures soon, once I work out how.
Great

Make your pictures small (longest side about 1000pix) and save them as a jpeg that is under 200k, then use the "manage attachments" button under additional options below the reply window, to upload to your IIS post

Mike
Old 29-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Neil

Thanks Mike for the advice on posting pics, will give it a try over the week-end.
Old 30-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Starlite (John)

Cool

Fully self contained Man Cave, Dog House, airconditioned, bed, 35 guitars, soundproofed, crank up The Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Rockabilly, Megadeath when the clouds roll in.Sorry no " Stairway To Heaven" allowed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PA300807.JPG)
87.5 KB107 views
Click for full-size image (PA290767.JPG)
87.1 KB106 views
Click for full-size image (PA290765.JPG)
89.3 KB115 views
Old 30-10-2014, 10:36 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
Fully self contained Man Cave, Dog House, airconditioned, bed, 35 guitars, soundproofed, crank up The Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Rockabilly, Megadeath when the clouds roll in.Sorry no " Stairway To Heaven" allowed.

Mike
Old 30-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Neil

Wow John, very nice, is this your observatory or where you live or both maybe, and I guess you play the guitar?
Old 31-10-2014, 06:29 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

You no like Jimmy Page and Robert Plant ?

Nice man cave though ....too damn nice ..
Old 31-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Starlite (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
You no like Jimmy Page and Robert Plant ?

Nice man cave though ....too damn nice ..
Yes, I get PARANOID sometimes !!!. A nice sanctuary to get away from the women....
Old 31-10-2014, 06:47 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

I find luminous paint a worthwhille addition.
Regards philip
Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Quote:
Hi Neil, I also have the TV screen and 5.1 sound. One little trick with the sound system is to mount a speaker (I used the 5th channel) on one side of the obs just near the base of the dome and pointing up at about 45 deg so that the sound reflects off the dome surface. It creates some magic effects, especially with you seated directly opposite! All the other speakers are downstairs.

Also have white board, a few charts & photographs, CCTV to view the mount from downstairs, 2-way radio/scanner, dehumidifier & heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSC_3717.jpg)
174.3 KB74 views

Last edited by ChrisM; 01-11-2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 AM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraKtorman View Post
I have installed Yamaha HS5 near field monitors http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...hs_series/hs5/ , a Dragonfly usb DAC http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digita.../dragonfly-dac and a DBX driverack PA http://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/driverack-pa to smooth out the sound. I run Jriver MC20 http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/inde...&topic=92737.0 through a wireless link to the house. In general I don't listen much while "working"/ imaging, but other times its quite nice. Happy snap attached (without the DBX).
cheers
peter
Peter - that does sound brilliant... I've tried a portable Bose system in my dome but couldn't leave it there unfortunateley!

Quote:
That's no observatory - it's more like a house in your backyard! Good set-up, just the same.

Chris
Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Hi Neil, I also have the TV screen and 5.1 sound. One little trick with the sound system is to mount a speaker (I used the 5th channel) on one side of the obs just near the base of the dome and pointing up at about 45 deg so that the sound reflects off the dome surface. It creates some magic effects, especially with you seated directly opposite! All the other speakers are downstairs.

Also have white board, a few charts & photographs, CCTV to view the mount from downstairs, 2-way radio/scanner, dehumidifier & heater.
.............:bow down:

Maaaate, now THAT'S an observatory ...looks a lot like Baza's here in Canberra.

Mike
Old 01-11-2014, 10:56 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Chris wins!

DT
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Chris wins!

DT
Ooooh I dunnoooow, gotta be close...having a bed, library and your own hydrolic lift to take you and your scope through a hole in the roof is pretty speccy

Mike
Old 01-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Starlite (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Chris wins!

DT
I have 50% light pollution.... Chris wins...
Old 01-11-2014, 11:30 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
I have 50% light pollution.... Chris wins...

...I do have some shelves, a folding sofa bed, small gas cooker, a portable cooling fan..oh and a stash of cup-a-soups, noodles, tuna breaks and potato chips in mine
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Neil

Observatory extras

Just a few pics from 2 years ago,more to follow, clear skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (040 (800x600).jpg)
64.5 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (047 (800x600).jpg)
60.8 KB59 views
Click for full-size image (054 (800x600).jpg)
47.7 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (056 (800x600).jpg)
60.6 KB50 views
Click for full-size image (046 (800x600).jpg)
48.8 KB59 views