Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-10-2014, 10:07 PM
simple_legate

Best smallest travel scope

This is just about my first post here, so please go easy on me.

I am trying to work out the best lightest travel scope for me. I currently have a couple of 114 x 900mm reflectors and a couple of 60 x 700 mm refractors that I tinker with (My beloved and infinitely patient wife realised the other day that I am almost happier tinkering with them than I am observing through them.)

I usually take one of the 60mm refractors with me when I travel on the ground, but I have found that they are just that much too big and I am looking for lighter and smaller scopes. As a family we do a lot of travel and when we are travelling we go very light weight - we spent six weeks in Italy with just our carry on luggage.

I would like to take a scope with me that is better suited to my footprint and yet still gives some decent views. I struggle to use binoculars because I generally can't find a pair that have the right pupillary distance for my rather close set eyes. I am currently thinking about these options: Finding an old relephoto lense and attaching a star diagonal, buying a table top reflector and converting it to a truss model that can be packed away, buying a small mirror and making a mirror box style travelscope or saving for something like a Borg mini scope kit and adapters for a star diagonal.

Ideally, I want to be able to look at Messier type objects if it's possible, and I like sketching out what I can see. I happen also to like tinkering so something with an upgrade path also works. The only thing I don't have is lots of cash up front, so I either need to be upgrading over time or saving up. With all that said, I am open to other ideas that anyone might have.

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 29-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Matthew,

to ice in space :-)

Why not try a William Optics Zenithstar 71mm which is an ED doublet lens (less false colour and higher quality) here for $499 US http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop...product_id=581

And a carry case here for $48 US

http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop...product_id=622

The diagonal is included and the built in foot on the scope I think has a tripod screw on it so you can use it with an adaptor on a photo tripod.

You have to use the foam from the box in the case, but that shouldn't be a problem, the scope is only 310mm retracted so it's small enough as an extra carry on item?

Nice quality scope for a decent price.

Aussie distributor here http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com....tar_megrez.htm

It may be cheaper to order from WO direct, but try above or Astronomy Electronics Centre for local pricing.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by Screwdriverone; 29-10-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 29-10-2014, 01:04 AM
anj026
Plyscope

I think the William Optics 71mm ED is a great suggestion. You may also like to consider the Tele Vue 60. It is even more compact. I have owned one for several years and find it to be very handy and convenient. It will work as low as 15x with a wide field over 4 degrees. It also works well up to 120x for viewing planets and the moon.

Here is a review on line.
http://scopeviews.co.uk/TV60.htm
Old 29-10-2014, 01:14 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

How about a 90 mm or 102 mm Mak? The OTA is only about 300 mm long, so will fit into a suitcase or backpack easily. Add a compact but sturdy tripod and a couple of eyepieces, and you're good to go.

My 90 mm Mak http://julianh72.blogspot.com.au/201...0-mm-f133.html only cost me about AU$250 (including delivery), and it came with a 45 degree erect image diagonal, so you can use it as a terrestrial spotting scope as well as for astronomical use. I also bought a T-Thread adapter to fit the rear port, so it can also do duty as a 1,200 mm telephoto lens for my DSLR.
Old 29-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Profiler (Profiler)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj026 View Post
I think the William Optics 71mm ED is a great suggestion. You may also like to consider the Tele Vue 60. It is even more compact. I have owned one for several years and find it to be very handy and convenient. It will work as low as 15x with a wide field over 4 degrees. It also works well up to 120x for viewing planets and the moon.

Here is a review on line.
http://scopeviews.co.uk/TV60.htm
+ 1. For the TV60

Expensive but probably the best portable 60mm refractor money can buy.
Old 29-10-2014, 09:43 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

The tinkers' options

Hi Matthew,

Travel scopes can come in many shapes and sizes. But one thing still reigns in all designs - aperture is King.

Now, if you like tinkering, the options available to you are vast. You are then not limited to commercially available instruments, which can be limited in aperture capacity and come with a hefty price tag, but you can use surprisingly good inexpensive optics to make yourself a sensational instrument that is not only portable, but excellent mechanically.

I too love to tinker. This has led me to make several scopes, from just a new dobbie mount through to the whole hog of tube and mount (I draw the line at grinding my own mirrors ). I've attached a few photos of some of the things I've made that fit the brief you gave in portability and stowed volume:

1, 114mm table top scope that has a 500mm focal length. Such an instrument is usually best suited to low power due to the limitations of the shape of the mirror, usually being spherical rather than parabolic as is needed for high power, though sometimes you do come across such mirrors that are parabolic, and then you've really hit pay-dirt.

2, a 6" table top dob. This is a very good instrument and gives a fantastic image at high magnification. I've pushed this puppy to 300X on a good night and the image is a corker

Both of these mounts I've also made so I can easily remove the scope from the dob mount cradle and pop the scope onto an equatorial mount for when I need to. Best of both words this way, These type of mounts are very easy to use.

3, 4 & 5, a 10" two pole scope that stows into its own mirror box and is the size of a small garbage bin when stowed. Very robust design that can take some punishment so you are not paranoid when packing it. Yes more involved than the above dob mounts, but not rocket science. Actually, this scope was my very first astro DIY project! I've still got it too, and when not in use lives quietly and unobtrusively in a wardrobe.

All of these instruments are very portable, and not difficult to make, mount or whole thing, have more aperture grunt than a small refractor Mak or SCT, for less money, and just as good optically.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (web pictures(9).JPG)
84.8 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (web pictures (8).JPG)
118.0 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (10inch strut.jpg)
65.5 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (10inch strut stowed.jpg)
59.9 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (10inch stowed.jpg)
116.9 KB28 views
Old 29-10-2014, 10:33 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Oh, gosh, how rude of me,

Matthew, to IIS
Old 29-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Profiler (Profiler)

Hi Alex

I must admit I am very impressed with your scope inventions and cost as well as tinkering they are winners. Just keep in mind that the smallest of your scope inventions is about 10x the size of a TV-60 and when, for example, you are like Mathew on a 6 week Italian holiday with nothing but carry on luggage they might be a little on the large size.

With the exception of the NP-127 (which I haven't had a chance to use) I would rate the TV-60 as the most impressive refractor made by Televue in terms of innovative design and what it acheives with 60mm of fine glass is amazing. It is easily better than the Tak FS-60 I previously had.

There are however two big downsides to it -1) price (best ensure you are seated when you check the price) and 2) It can only accept a 1.25 diagonal.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:30 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
Hi Alex

I must admit I am very impressed with your scope inventions and cost as well as tinkering they are winners. Just keep in mind that the smallest of your scope inventions is about 10x the size of a TV-60 and when, for example, you are like Mathew on a 6 week Italian holiday with nothing but carry on luggage they might be a little on the large size.
Thanks Pro'. But you haven't yet seen what's sitting on my work bench . This little bugger disappears into its navel...

I totally agree that it is upto Matthew to decide on the ultimate requirements that need to be met. Only he knows what suits him best. I'm just replying to his brief
Old 29-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Hi Matthew,

If you typically go to Italy for six weeks, I doubt you'd have enough room for a small telescope and useable mount, unless you flew with Emirates which allow 30kg in check-in luggage (32kg if you pay extra). That way you could take 10kg more than with other airlines, and you and your partner could take some 20kg more than other airlines allow - but there is the the snag that this won't work if you have to then use connecting airlines with other carriers (and also, my wife would have a fit if I told her 10kg in her bag would be devoted to my telescope).

In the end I gave up, and just bought a 5" reflector over there, and left it there with the relatives.

The biggest problem in Italy is finding somewhere dark, as they seem to be afraid of the dark - with nearly every power pole having a light on it.
Regards,
Renato
Old 30-10-2014, 12:55 AM
simple_legate

Thanks for those great suggestions. The TV-60 or the Williams Optics 71 ED both seem like great scopes, even if they are on the pricey side, so it may simply be a case of saving hard for a while.

I was also prompted to see what I could build, while I am saving up.

I also noticed tha no one took up the mini Borg scope. Is that because it's not as good as I might think or it just doesn't see as much use in Australia?

Thanks again,

Matthew
Old 30-10-2014, 06:00 AM
SteveInNZ

An alternative option is to spend on something that's going to get you the maximum enjoyment for your budget at home or within your driving travel distance. For overseas travel, frequent some of the astronomy forums and find local astronomers and astronomy groups. You get to meet like minded people, can get guided around unfamiliar skies if you want and access to much more aperture than you can carry.
There are places in the world where you can rock up with a pizza and get use of a CCD camera, OTA and mount that are way better than I could afford at home.

Steve.
Old 30-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Profiler (Profiler)

Although I haven't used one myself the impression I get from others is that the mini Borg is regarded as 'too' small to be pragmatic for much of anything other than the claim of the smallest 'refractor'. Essentially it is a 50mm finder optic which after being set in its OTA housing comes down to 45m. The general consensus is that 60mm is the sweet spot for mini refractors which can pragmatically still acheive good results. Finally, I wouldn't put William Optics in the same league as the TV-60 (it is about double the price for a start). There have been some really good ideas here which I must admit are fine and may not warrant the need to buy anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_legate View Post
Thanks for those great suggestions. The TV-60 or the Williams Optics 71 ED both seem like great scopes, even if they are on the pricey side, so it may simply be a case of saving hard for a while.

I was also prompted to see what I could build, while I am saving up.

I also noticed tha no one took up the mini Borg scope. Is that because it's not as good as I might think or it just doesn't see as much use in Australia?

Thanks again,

Matthew

Last edited by Profiler; 30-10-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 30-10-2014, 12:06 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

If you travel with a DSLR and a decent telephoto then your idea of attaching a star diag is the best I could suggest. Minimal weight and bulk, dual purpose and with a couple of EP's you can even get some viewing options. If you also have a photo tripod and can get a lens mount you have the best options. Also cheapest if you already have the lens etc.
Have to give this idea a go myself ....
Old 30-10-2014, 01:02 PM
jayeson (Jayeson)

Has anyone tried the William Optics Zenithstar 71mm? I was thinking of getting one, but reviews are limited and the couple of photos I found that were taken with it have horrible colour.
Old 30-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I've been using a Zenithstar for a few years as a travel scope - it's not lightweight at 2.7kg but it is 30cm long so easily fits in an average sized backpack, and can be used with a decent photo tripod. I've also used it here for kicks with a 2" diagonal and my 40mm Pentax eyepiece for gulping in Magellanic Clouds however, a 60 or 70mm refractor is never going to give you resolving power of a larger scope.

Photographically...I've been experimenting with the humble kit I've got this year and have taken a number of shots with the Zenithstar and Canon 1100D and not seen anything colour wise that I would describe as "horrible" actually I've been rather pleased with what I've been able to achieve with it, not least with bags of help from friendly IISers ...but I only took my first image 6 months ago.
Old 30-10-2014, 04:37 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
If you travel with a DSLR and a decent telephoto then your idea of attaching a star diag is the best I could suggest.
That's sort of the logic to my suggestion for a 90 mm or 102 mm Mak, but in reverse. A small Mak has comparable bulk to a decent "large" DSLR telephoto lens, but a lot more aperture and focal length, and at a lot lower cost. And with the simple addition of a T-Ring adapter, it also doubles as a really long telephoto lens (albeit a fairly "slow" telephoto).

How much would you pay for a DSLR telephoto lens with more than say 300 mm FL?
Old 30-10-2014, 07:07 PM
jayeson (Jayeson)

Dunk, thanks you for the info. Your usage for it is similar to what I intend. I probably shouldn't have said horrible colour, there was a trend of unnatural colour in the stars. Aside from that, the performance of the scope seems rather excellent for the price. I just had a look through your posted photos - nice work!
Old 30-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I can't say I'd noticed anything particularly untoward with the star colours, although I will take note of this the next time I'm out with it. It is "only" a doublet so maybe that contributes?

Likewise with imaging, I see a little blue haloing on brighter stars, which you can see in my images and I've not attempted to dial it out (to date). The fat stars appear to be an issue with my camera not the scope.

For a travel scope, the only real issue is weight, but I don't find it a problem. It has a decent dual speed rack and pinion focuser and while imaging I've not noticed any slippage while applying the lock. For visual, I typically use a couple of carefully chosen 1.25" eyepieces and a decent barlow, although sometimes do crazy things with big 2" eyepieces but I've had surprisingly satisfying views of Jupiter and Saturn through it
Old 31-10-2014, 06:52 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
That's sort of the logic to my suggestion for a 90 mm or 102 mm Mak, but in reverse. A small Mak has comparable bulk to a decent "large" DSLR telephoto lens, but a lot more aperture and focal length, and at a lot lower cost. And with the simple addition of a T-Ring adapter, it also doubles as a really long telephoto lens (albeit a fairly "slow" telephoto).

How much would you pay for a DSLR telephoto lens with more than say 300 mm FL?
I've seen a few of these pop up on our local auction site recently and thought about picking one up. Also seen on dealexttreme webiste for around the $100-$200 mark. Only problem is the aperture is restricted by central obstruction and a longish focal length which would limit it's performance somewhat. But one of the better options IMHO.